It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wimpy mega bomb worries U.S. military

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

How on earth do you think a B-52 would ever reach Iran's facilities? Only B-2 could even dream of coming close, and i HIGHLY doubt that one too. Iran has got advanced anti- missiles that will drop it from the sky in no time.

Secondly, no bomb is big enough to "bunker bust" into their deep underground facilities. It is just impossible to penetrate hundreds of meters of bedrock.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by varikonniemi

How on earth do you think a B-52 would ever reach Iran's facilities? Only B-2 could even dream of coming close, and i HIGHLY doubt that one too. Iran has got advanced anti- missiles that will drop it from the sky in no time.

Secondly, no bomb is big enough to "bunker bust" into their deep underground facilities. It is just impossible to penetrate hundreds of meters of bedrock.

It might be impossible to reach all the way down, but it would be easy to collapse everything so that there is no way out.

Unless Iran has technology that we do not know about, they are outmatched in every aspect. Going to war against the US military would be Iran's undoing. Now if Israel were to attack Iran and there was no US involvement, then it might be an interesting fight.

I had a dream once where I saw a map of the middle east and watched as battle forces moved from Egypt, Syria and I think Iran (it was a long time ago though I think I wrote it down somewhere, possibly here)...

In the dream the Israelis were forced out of the Gaza strip and Palestine and eventually were pushed so far to the south that I think they were destroyed. But that was just a dream.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

first why would you think 14 tons weight is 30,000lbs

The ton is a unit of measure. It has a long history and has acquired a number of meanings and uses over the years. It is used principally as a unit of weight, and as a unit of volume. It can also be used as a measure of energy, for truck classification, or as a colloquial term. It is derived from the tun, the term applied to a barrel of the largest size. This could contain a volume between 210 and 256 gallons (800 to 1000 L), which could weigh around 2,000 pounds (900 kg) and occupy some 60 cubic feet (1700 L) of space.[1]

so a ton weighs 2,000lbs.
why would a bomb weighing 28,000lbs be wimpy unless somebody is trying to convince me that Nuke was the only way to go.
I smell mad psych Nazi Berneys advertising skeem?
somebody wants me to think " Just drop a nuke and get it over with already" humph, imagine that

edit on 28-1-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by varikonniemi

There was a book fiction by Dale Brown "Flight of the Old Dog" & sequal "Night of the Hawk" Great read. OMG great read. Give it a try. Its fiction but easy to imagine something like that exists.
$3 at a used book store If you are into military read, it is very entertaining
here is the plot, check it out:
Flight of the Old Dog

edit on 28-1-2012 by rebellender because: added sequal

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

are you old enough to remember the Strategic board game Risk? it
usually ended up US vs Russia battled in the Middle East

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelYoung

Actually, it's already WW3, we just haven't actually hashtagged it as such.

No, actually, it isn't WW3 yet. You and I haven't been drafted, and the military still has to ask for money. If WW3 was declared, they wouldn't need to ask.

It's ignorant when people sensationalize, and pretend like the time we're living in right now is in any way similar to the times endured during WW2. Do some research, and learn what the nation went through during WW2 before assuming we are there again. The stage may be set, the actors present, but until the curtain rises we may still have a chance of walking away from this farce.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Yes very much so, I used to play Risk a lot. Actually that is how I saw it in that dream, it was like a Risk game, only with arrows that represented armies. I also had a very similar dream about Russian nuclear missiles that came from Kamchukuma (sp) and struck the US using a risk board as the map.

Odd dreams.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I hated that game, I sucked big time
edit on 28-1-2012 by rebellender because: spell check

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
what chance does a b-52 have of making it to iran without getting shot down; about 0%.

another washington/pentagon/industrial complex embezzlement scheme.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by varikonniemi

Iran doesn't have squat in anti-air capabilities.

Unless Russia gave them S-300s without anyone knowing.

The B-2 can easily make it to Iranian nuclear sites. B-52s... maybe.

Any strike on Iran might begin with cruise missiles strikes on anti-air sites to make sure B-52s go through.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
what chance does a b-52 have of making it to iran without getting shot down; about 0%.

F-4 Wild Weasels go in and take out SAM's in front of B-52 strikes...come on people this stuff is OLD SCHOOL

Added: hate to bring up movies but check out "Flight of the Intruder" SAM busting is old old school stuff like shoe laces old
edit on 28-1-2012 by rebellender because: added content

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Bah, why make a bigger bomb when you can just drop two of them or three. If you were to bomb the same place 3 times with one of these bombs it would get to it's target. You just have to space out the bombs enough...like maybe 3 minutes apart.

Thing is, bombing a target doesn't work like that. You usually only have one flyover to get it right. Even then, once your about to drop that ordnance, there's only like a 4 to 5 second window to get on target and release that bomb. Another flyover for just one more bomb could spell devastation for the pilot, plane, and mission.

Don't think that Iran won't have these underground facilities heavily guarded with anti-aircraft measures. You might can get a plane through once to successfully reach it's target, but a second time would be far to dangerous in that amount of time. Once that facility is hit, all eyes are going to be on that facility and the skies. You've only got one chance to get this right.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

Originally posted by randomname

F-4 Wild Weasels go in and take out SAM's in front of B-52 strikes...come on people this stuff is OLD SCHOOL

Added: hate to bring up movies but check out "Flight of the Intruder" SAM busting is old old school stuff like shoe laces old
edit on 28-1-2012 by rebellender because: added content

But that's the thing, "they're old school". Look at Iran's new electronic warfare measures. Look at all the other hardware Iran has been rolling out as of late. Of course none of it looks scary, but that's not the point. Point is, Iran is showing the world it is preparing and have been busy. Just like any other country would do, they're going to hold back they're ace in the hole. They know America is going to come in and attack through the skies. I promise you they have some type of new measure for that, rather domestically produced or borrowed from an ally (China, Russia, etc).

I'm not saying Iran doesn't have anything we can't handle, but still it's better to be safe than sorry. The chances of anything...anything going wrong would be greatly diminished if we could fly in there once, hit the target and get it done right the first time. Hanging around in one area of Iran for one second to long could spell doom. Better to go in prepared and get it right the first time. Not only that, this also projects power to the rest of the world. The more ghostly and powerful and precise we appear, far more the better.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

I hear what you are saying, but honestly, the way we seem to do things now, first you would have the fly over, possibly something as a drone that flies over and when Iranian radar hits it, it is mapped and targeted for destruction, a second drone flies in and destroyed the pinged target, after, a bomb is dropped on said target, then if they feel it is not enough, another bomb, or drone/both. Air superiority is not a problem, and actually, neither are surface to air missiles, unless like I said earlier, they have something we do not know about.

Now this is just speculation from someone who has never been in the military and likes to play armchair general, but it seems logical to me, from what I have seen the US military do and how they appear to operate, at least from what I see on tv and read.

Iraq is a good example.
All surface to air missiles or anything that targeted a US aircraft was destroyed with seconds/minutes.

They never had a chance to fight back. Now I am not saying it would be a cakewalk, in fact, we all know it will not, but I do think Iran could not win, and it would be a fairly fast war with minimal US casualties.
At least the main part of the war, which would be to destroy Iran's military machinery and take out their nuclear weapons/reactor projects.

I am not for a war with Iran, just saying I do have a lot of faith in US military superiority.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

did you look at the link? there is nothing old school in the nose cone of that F-4 ( one of the most bad ass aircraft of all time) and nothing old school hanging off the bottom of it either....

Wild Weasel Technology Old School ???? respect you elders!!!
taking out SAM Sites .....about as long as Arabs have been using gun powder........give or take

its all good...and good to discuss

top topics

<< 1   >>

join