It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 and Other Civilizations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

There really is only one Mayan reference to 2012, and it's somewhat dubious. New Agers and other modern groups have a number of beliefs. However, no other cultures (untouched by 2012 hysteria) have any belief about this year. The modern Mayans had no such belief, either, until tourists started showing up.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by artistpoet
Yes but perhaps they took starmaps for reference to what the Dogons spoke of - That is why I would need to know who wrote they did such a thing - I was wondering if you knew?

The Dogon thing really IS a hoax, and well known as a hoax in most circles

To be honest Astronmers are often baffled by what they discover - Such as white dwarf stars orbiting and interacting with Red Dwarfs and Jupiter size planets orbitingtheir star as close as the Earth is to the Sun

"Baffled" isn't really the right term. They're excited to discover something new, they're working to find out what the mechanics are -- they're like kids with a brand new toy.

(I'm speaking from personal experience, having known some real astronomers.)

If you are saying the Dogon thing is a well known haox - Then could you please provide references which I can study by those debunking it.

Sure they are excited at the new frontiers opening up. I love astronomy perhaps baffled is a word not to your liking but by baffled I mean there are many mysterys and as one discovery is made it begs more questions and inquiry.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

That's the exact point I'm trying to make. I'm constantly told that other cultures talk about 2012 and yet I have found that claim is a load of bull. I'm now trying to illustrate that to the 2012 believers. They are willing to make these claims yet they have no evidence to support them. It goes against everything ATS stands for,

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Byrd

That's the exact point I'm trying to make. I'm constantly told that other cultures talk about 2012 and yet I have found that claim is a load of bull. I'm now trying to illustrate that to the 2012 believers. They are willing to make these claims yet they have no evidence to support them. It goes against everything ATS stands for,

2012 believers is a pretty broad statement - I guess you mean those who overlay certain scenarios regarding 2012- Yet 2012 is real for we are here in 2012 - It will interesting to watch what does unfold this year.
The problem with certain beliefs such as rapture and cosmic alignments is that it renders many impotent to act on their own thoughts and so conform to others systems of beliefs. As regards astronomical measurement of cycles this is something that can not be denied. The affects of astronomical cyles is obvious - The daily rotation of the Earth being one - The cycle of the Sun around the galactic plane being a greater one.
We are stil at the dawn of measuring even greater cycles such as our galaxy in relation to the Virgo cluster. Eventually all cycles break down as stars come and go and change in nature - all incrementally changes.
edit on 27-1-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join