It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the UK have the same stuff as America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
>I know there are plenty of Mcdonalds in London... right? or am i wrong :-

>I know they have Costco's (which is an American super store) again if i'm wrong please correct me.

> I know they have a corrupt government as well but a little bit less corrupt than the U.S...they have cameras every where and their GOV stages false flag attacks....that's not corrupt?.

> There are a bunch of old buildings in London from the 1700's so not the same.

>They have stupid racist people like we do here in America. (and by they i mean people who live in London and parts of the UK)

I know they have internet connection (lol) and PS3/360's.....and etc

And yes they have fat people there too...i've seen plenty while i was on vacation in London

The only difference here is the accent and history.

edit on 24-1-2012 by CrazyRaccoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CrazyRaccoon

Um.... yes, we have all that stuff.

We also have lots of towns and cities and not all of them are called London.

There are also buildings that are 1000 years old in London.

Thanks for your interest.

ETA:

Originally posted by CrazyRaccoon

What do you mean by this?
edit on 24/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I am an American, but I know that it is more than just the accent that is different between British English and American English. Many of the words have different meanings, and some words have a different spelling then American version of the same word.

However there are things that may be the same or different there that I don't know, and I think it would be fun and enlightening to discuss those things.

It seems to me the OP's purpose of this thread was to to become more educated about. So maybe people who have been to both places or have even lived in both places could chime in on this.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrazyRaccoon
>I know there are plenty of Mcdonalds in London... right? or am i wrong :-

>I know they have Costco's (which is an American super store) again if i'm wrong please correct me.

> I know they have a corrupt government as well but a little bit less corrupt than the U.S...they have cameras every where and their GOV stages false flag attacks....that's not corrupt?.

> There are a bunch of old buildings in London from the 1700's so not the same.

>They have stupid racist people like we do here in America. (and by they i mean people who live in London and parts of the UK)

I know they have internet connection (lol) and PS3/360's.....and etc

And yes they have fat people there too...i've seen plenty while i was on vacation in London

edit on 24-1-2012 by CrazyRaccoon because: (no reason given)

not being funny i actually took offence at the OP
and i dont quite know why lol

London is not the only place in the UK nor is it the only country

The whole of the UK has many stores america has, we have walmart (although it is called ASDA here, along with hundreds of other places and yes we even has starbucks

hmm i wouldn't say our gov is less corrupt than the USA - we have camera's everywere but the toilets, CCTV everywere, stop and searches, and yes many false flag events aswell, its not a uniquely american thing im afraid.

racists, bigotry, fat people,skinny people are found all over the world.

Our countries are not so different , we just term things differently, all over the UK is steeped in culture, history dating back hundreds of years.

ofc we have internet how else u think we on ats
we has the fibre optic aswell you know

apologies at my sarcasm iv been up 20 hrs straight and very tired.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We have the same masters.
Soon we will all be assimilated.

I wish we had Ron Paul though, then I'd get of my butt and vote.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I just noticed your RP banner has a crown at each end, anything I should know about

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The two British lads go to an American Walmart.

Their reactions,
speak volumes to the differences.

David Grouchy

How niche do you want your coke-a-cola?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Maybe I can help the OP out a little... I travelled to the UK about a year ago and spent two weeks in Cardiff and Welshpool. Obviously, two weeks does not make me an expert, by any means, but I can tell you what stuck out to me and what threw me for a loop while I was there...

First, do not underestimate the accent! When I first arrived, I wasn't even sure if the people around me were speaking english. By day #3, I was catching about 50% of what was being said, and after two weeks I could understand everyone and was even starting to pick up on the local slang (which can be very different from ours).

Shopping and such... They have a walmart equivalent called Asda. It is very walmart-ish, although the merchandise is different. For example, I was planning on making mexican food for my host and couldn't find cheese like what I buy here at home...you should have seen the look I got for asking for orange colored cheese...lol. I did very much enjoy the smaller shops we went into while I was there...they have a certain feel to them that you just can't get here in the states (at least not in my neck of the woods). Plus, I found it remarkable that I could buy chicken livers in one shop, then walk right around the corner into another shop and get a tattoo (and I did).

I also found that most of the British stereotypes I had always been fed were totally off the mark. The food was wonderful and everyone I met had decent teeth. Everyone I met was kind, warm and very hospitable. The booze is good, the music is great and the living, breathing history of the place is amazing.

The best comparison I can make is that it's a bit like being thrown into a parallel world where everything is the same and different all at the same time.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Na hah those are crowns of justice
because he is a king at political knowledge

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Based in the UK, and knowing the US only through the internet, I can suggest a number of things which the US has and the UK hasn't (except where we began importing from the US).
The UK has supporters chanting and singing at football matches, but we don't have cheerleaders.
At the start of a new school year, schoolchildren drag themselves off to school again, but we don't have Homecoming.
There were school dances when I was at school, but nothing like the ceremonial that seems to go with a Prom.
Friends might give helpful gifts to a new mother, but it took the Americans to invent the Baby Shower.
There were traditions around Halloween, especially in Scotland, but it wasn't the ritual occasion that it;s become in the U.S.
The common factor in all these differences seems to be an American tendancy to make rituals out of things which are treated more casually in the old country. (Is it that you abandoned the stuffy old traditional ceremonies of Europe, and then had to invent new ones to take their place?)

top topics

join