It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mama Needs Some Advice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I have been having trouble sleeping off and on for quite awhile.
I have been awake since 5:30 yesterday morning,I have tried
sleeping but I can't sleep.
I would appreciate any ideas on how to sleep without resorting
to taking sleeping pills.I have noticed that some topics upset
me and I try to avoid them...killing small animals.I did spend
two nights with little sleep over the python christmas thread.
Any advice is welcome as I will have to seek medical help if
this keeps up.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Try some Benadryl (Allergy medication containing diphenhydramine). That usually helps me and is cheaper than buying the "sleep aids" that contain the same ingredient. Definitely better than expensive (and habit forming) sleeping pills.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Get some exercise.

Seriously, go kill a bunch of energy in a run, or dance in your livingroom, or whatever it is you do..

I don't like pills or drugs either. When I can't sleep I go for a run. When I get home I'm out as soon as my head hits the pillow.

This is the best, easiest, healthiest, and most effective way to get good sleep. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
you could always try a regular box fan. i find that the noise is quiet relaxing, it also helps drowned out the ringing in my ears that i always have

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Try cutting back on your caffeine intake if you partake in the consumption of caffeinated beverages.

Valerian is a wonderful all natural sleep aid, I've used it many times. There is also a thread that was posted on the benefits of Valerian root.

Melatonin tea. Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces come the dark hours. Melatonin makes you sleepy and it works very well. Melatonin also helps with the production of GH which has numerous benefits as well.
edit on 24-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Try some Melatonin tablets. I would consider them one of the more 'natural' sleep aids.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Had same problem for a new nights ,

Then i got a new Blanket , with 4 new pillows problem solved

Its a little thing to do , but it works so good! Now sleeping like a baby :p

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Use some isochronic tones that aid in sleep.

link   
Here is what works for me 100%, always [and I am a nervous worrier]. However it takes some practice.
Lay in bed and relax all your muscles, starting with your feet. I have to do this twice and its amazing how some muscles need a little reminding. The most important are the neck and shoulder and the facial muscles, especially around the mouth and the forehead, they can fool you

Anyway, once they are all relaxed, you basically stop thinking in words.
That will be the hardest part but it is entirely possible. Just tell yourself to 'shut up' and think in images.
If you can't just imagine a word like "auuuummm" and say that in your mind, it still stops you from thinking.

Then it's fun time. Just let the images come and watch them like a movie, let them do what they want...
Sleep will come without you noticing, just don't wait for it, it will be seamless from you watching and you dreaming.
And even if you don't sleep, your brain/body will be in a relaxed state which is just as good as sleep.

1. relax
2. Stop thinking in words
3. Watch

Hope that helps. [can't do any harm anyways]

link   
I was going to mention Valerian Root but it looks like kimish beat me to it

I'd have to agree with TinkerHaus that exercise is a good way of getting to the land of nod quicker.

Try getting into a routine i.e. going to bed at the same time each night, make sure your bedrooms not too warm or too cold, avoid using gadgets like your mobile phone, PC etc about 30 mins before you go to bed and get some exercise during the day, see if that helps.

I had a major sleeping problem in the past and I know that insomnia is no fun at all, luckily the amount of beer I consume on a daily basis aids my sleep nowadays

ETA: Also agree with yourboycal2, I always find that I have a cracking nights sleep in a freshly made bed
edit on 24/1/12 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/1/12 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MissSinFull

I have been sleeping with a box fan for about 30 years.
I am a light sleeper and noises wake me up.My boy
kitty wakes me up a lot beating his tail on the bedroom
window.I feed him and toss him down the basement.*

*I have a finished basement with a futon sofa and heater.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hi Mama,

Suggest: Try to incorporate moderate excercise into your day. Go for a walk, heavy housecleaing, stuff like that as well as eliminating all caffeine sources after 12pm. Also, try not to use the computer or tv or other electronics that stimulate the brain an hour or two before bed. Read a book, listen to music, drink tea or warm milk, etc. engage in relaxation techniques instead. I know how frustrating this is, hope you get your sleep patterns back on track, soon.
edit on 24-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I don't drink caffeine drinks after noon I switch
to herbal and decaf.
I wonder about not drinking enough water?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
chamomile tea always works for me.
Don't listen to the people telling you to take pills and whatnot. They are insane.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
1. If you drink coffee (caffeine), get off of it. It messes with the natural rhythm of the body, no matter what time of day you drink it. (I'm down to 1/2 cup a day and I sleep better!)
2. Look into a memory foam mattress. It's been the ONE thing that has improved my sleep the most.
3. Look into natural sleep enhancers like Melatonin and Valerian.
4. Get plenty of fresh air and exercise.
5. Go to bed and get up at the same time.
6. Drink lots of water.

Good luck!

edit on 1/24/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
i've found that getting off the computer helps

link   
Everything that he said ^^^^^^^ (Benevolent Heretic)

ETA: A good 'old fashioned' helps me get a good nights rest

link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I am usually on my computer until about 11:30 at night.
I look around craigslist for things.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

It's very simple....our bodies were designed to work and balance our caloric intake.

Don't burn off the calories and it keeps the metabolism increased leading to insomnia.

Turn off the computer and go for a walk ! Get some exercise.

You are consuming more calories than your body is able to expel because we tend to sit too much.

I just got done shoveling some snow....that works as well....any cardio vascular activity for that matter.

I shovel in spurts.....wait for the heart to get pumping and then take a break.....then shovel some more.

Try shoveling some snow if you have some....up until you begin to .break a sweat and also stop eating sugars and carbohydrates which are sources of stored energy.

And why marathon runners "Carbo UP" the night before a race by consuming pasta and beer.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by MissSinFull

I have been sleeping with a box fan for about 30 years.
I am a light sleeper and noises wake me up.My boy
kitty wakes me up a lot beating his tail on the bedroom
window.I feed him and toss him down the basement.*

*I have a finished basement with a futon sofa and heater.

Throw a towel over 1/2 of the front of that fan.

I originally did this just to dry the towel after my shower......but it really ups the white noise.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join