It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South East Queensland - the rain keeps falling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just over a year ago, South East Queensland experienced devastating floods. Many are still recovering, some people perished.

Today the rain hasn't stopped falling and although not as extreme as last January, people are still worried and some models suggest that it will rain for the next week.

For the Queenslanders out there, I'd like this thread to be an information thread so we can be informed and prepared in case the situation worsens.

Bureau of Meteorology QLD warnings

QLDAlert

Take care out there.

news report
edit on 24-1-2012 by zenius because: add link

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yeah mate, flash flooding in a lot of areas in SE QLD.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
In regards to evac centers on the north side of Brisbane the first listed center is located at the deception bay PCYC and the second is located at the narangba community hall.

I'm working in the north Brisbane area, at Brendale, the local creek here that runs along Stanley street to leitchs road is flooded, and the bridge on leitchs road is currently only about 60 cm from the water level and rising.
Stanley street is currently receiving running water over it directly across from the day care centre.
Several snakes have been spotted trying to escape the area so please be careful.

Kremzow rd west heading to Warner is washed out and currently blocked by police.

I will be in the area for the next few nights and will also monitor it all further and add updates during the
Night as changes occur.

Also police are currently in the process of 2 swift water rescues.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Yeah mad weather alright.All that's missing is the bull sharks patrolling my front yard.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

i remember that story, hit the news in SE QLD!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
www.bom.gov.au...

I remember last year, when all the power was cut off to Brisbane and the surrounding areas
That was pretty awesome
edit on 24-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

To someone who is from Britain (and therefore impervious to rain) could you please explain why a week of rain would be a worry necessarily?

Obviously, i know you had devastation in that area last year but what is it exactly that would be such a worry? Is it the volume of water, the geology of the land? Or something else entirely?

Sorry if this appears a bit trollish - it isn't meant to! Just after a bit more info if possible.....

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Hey mate, SE QLD is pretty much surrounded by mountains to the West and North, resulting in a form of a catchment area. The Geology of the land plays a major role in the flooding, with only a minimal amount of rain needed to swell rivers and creeks. Furthermore, Wivenhoe dam (the dam providing water supply to SE QLD) is occasionaly full and need to release an amount of water, resulting in further flooding of land,

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Ah, so it's basically a bit of a sink then? A bit like where i am in the Vale of York - low down and a catchment area for all the water.....

I quite enjoy (to a point) our annual flooding here. The rivers are rising as i speak. That said, i would frankly have brown underwear if i lived in your neck of the woods! Do not fancy seeing snakes and the like in the same water as me!

Good luck to all of you potentially affected by this. I hope there is no loss of life or property for you.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hope it stops soon for you all, but we need it down south, eventually it finds its way to the Murray....hopefully.
You can send as much water as you like to SA...its been 38 deg here for nearly a week...thru to the W/E.

Im not made for this hot weather.........

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Yeah exactly as a sink! Haha, i remember this last year. My suburb was cut off from all contact for like 4 days, without power and the local shop had hardly any food.
edit on 24-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

South East Queensland is a sub-tropical region, effectively a river basin surrounded by the elevated Great Dividing Range to the west and the coast to the East. The majority of it's population is concentrated near water-ways and low lying coastal areas.

When the area experiences continual heavy rain falls, the water-ways and drainage systems can't always cope with the deluge, therefore, rising water levels and localised flooding occur - particularly if the above coincides with high tides.

Note that some areas experienced 140 - 200mm inside a 12 hour period... were this to continue in the following days, this would be of much concern for those communities.

ETA...Already explained above, didn't notice.

Cheers.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Perhaps because: add credit

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Much better than what i described

The news states that rain will continue for at least 4 days, so it should get interesting.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

I always kind of assumed that the waterways in sub tropical locations were naturally designed to cope with such huge amounts of water? Shows i always ignored those lessons about assuming things!

On a side topic, have the authorities made any attempts at trapping any of the water? As a poster above has said, im sure there are parts of Australia that would be very grateful for that much water!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

As far as i am aware, there has not been any attempt. It is a bit hard though, when you get this:

and

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

On a side topic, have the authorities made any attempts at trapping any of the water? As a poster above has said, im sure there are parts of Australia that would be very grateful for that much water!

Water catchment and water security in the region has been a political sh!t fight for some years now - Traverston Crossing dam proposal, DeSal plants, waste water recycling rah, rah, rah... all much worthy of it's own thread.

Flood mitigation is the recent hot issue since this time last year though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I don't know, you are an ingenious nation. Invite the locals out, supply some beer, pens and paper - i bet the ideas just flow!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

I just think there has to be someway of catching the water - even say 10% of it would make a massive difference to some places.

Im prepared to bet your nation is like all the other advanced nations around - you pay huge amounts into the greybeard scientific community. It's about time those greybeards started whirling and coming up with some solutions!
edit on 24-1-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
So now it could get worse. There is now talk of a cyclone potentially forming within the next week. LINK There has also been talk of a low system over Darwin which may travel down through the centre of Queensland potentially creating havoc inland as well.

I guess everyone is aware of these events more so since last year's floods. People are still trying to recover and rebuild from a year ago. There have been swift water rescues in the Gold Coast Hinterland and people are fearful of the potential of more runoff from the already saturated catchment areas over the coming weekend.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It all seems pretty normal ,after all it is the tropics and sub tropics further south around SEQ
Wet season ,monsoon troughs,cyclones .Come on anyone who lives in these areas knows this is to be expected

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join