It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South East Queensland - the rain keeps falling

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yes rain is normal and so are cyclones. I see your point. However, unfortunately, extreme events ie in the tail of the distribution, are not factored into urban planning. Therefore more people, property, ecosystems, businesses etc are facing higher risks. Rural communities have less resources to cope with disasters. So without sounding like an alarmist, I encourage people to know where the evacuation centres are in their area, have a few days supply of essentials, don't drive or swim in flood waters and stay off the roads if you can. I'm amazed how cars I've seen on the side of the highway or roads who have obviously lost control.

Severe Thunderstorm & Flood warnings current
BOM Queensland Warnings Page
edit on 25-1-2012 by zenius because: add link

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Yeah it seems when the rain starts ,some people forget how to drive.
Building waterfront homes on reclaimed mangrove swamps and cane fields was never going to be a good idea
Still for some the chance of a tidy profit outweighs moral obligation.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thanks for the thread Zenius! I was wondering which one of us was going to do one for this lot of rain! You're up in the sunny coast way/northside aren't you? I've got family in Banyo and they said they copped a drenching. The downstairs of my dads flooded, but there wasn't much down there thankfully! What do you reckon about this next lot of rain SEQ is supposed to cop? I honestly think it's just a return to wet seasons after a really long dry spell! If they didn't build in so many places that always have flooded, Rocklea for example, we wouldn't have so many problems!

The funny thing is, I did the thread on the Toowoomba disaster last year, and 53 weeks to.the.day I now live about 500-800 metres down the road from here! Not going to lie, driving over the road today and yesterday I was checking the creek obsessively! ;p.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Great to see you here BKaust! I can't believe you've moved near to that fateful spot. Fortunately your catchment area hasn't received much rain for now so I think you're safe.

Did you look at the Youtube vid posted earlier? The Higgins guy is more on top of up to the minute events than BOM and has predicted the low coming down the centre of Queensland. Tonight's news is the first I heard about potential cyclone formation. Either way that upper level trough is causing a lot of instability and moisture and the monsoon trough moving south seems to be creating more uncertainty for the next week.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I Live in hervey bay.
Starting to flood here, not very bad.
Some roads are cut off, hearing alot over the scanner.
drive safe!!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
It's been a crazy day on the north side today. Teachers going home from school, lots of kids absent or sent home. All because of flooding on the Bruce Hwy around Caboolture.

Things have settled down now with the easing off of the rain. This morning's flooding was due to some nasty convective cells forming out from Morton Island overnight and dumping heaps of rain north and south of Brisbane.

Now we are watching the low system heading south from the gulf to see if it follows the predicted path inland or moves towards the east, which means more rain for the coastal areas. After that we'll be watching the low expected to develop in the Coral Sea over the next week.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join