It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God is an Imaginary Friend" Athiest Billboards in Denver-

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
A group af men are paying for three billboards, with this title on them. They are doing this to raise discussion about the state of religion in america today. I applaud these men for not only standing up for their beliefs, and trying to do something about it.

The Boulder Atheists, a member of the Colorado Coalition Of Reason (COCORE), said it paid for the billboards to encourage an open dialog between atheists and the public on the role of religion in America.

This same group has done this before with previous sayings as:"Don't believe in God? You are not alone."
and a year later they protested a local nativity scene.

A year later, the group paid for three billboards protesting the nativity scene at Denver's City and County Building. The signs said, "Stop government support of religion, move this Denver nativity scene to a church."

So do these men have the right to put these billboards up, IMO they do. Just as religious billboards are put up in town. I mean last year I seem to remember christian billboards placed ALL OVER THE WORLD saying the "rapture" was going to happen on May 21st
Surely if this man is able to post his religious propaganda worldwide, these men should have the right to do the same about their beliefs. www.thedenverchannel.com...

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm not really religious but, IMO- atheism on a full scale will be the fall of man .

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

Just remember: More wars have been fought, and more blood has been shed from religion, than atheism. That tells me religion will most certainly be the downfall for human kind. I dont mind if or what people believe in, but to quote the late, great John Lennon, "if your talkin bout destruction, dont you know that you can count me out?"

edit on 23-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Let people do their own thing. What's wrong with imaginary friend's? especially when he tells you to do good things for humanity... I have real friend's like that in-conjunction with my 'imaginary' one.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
As someone who is comfortable in my beliefs and understanding that other people are entitled to their's, I think it's fine. If Christians can advertise for churches, put up passages or psalms, then they should be allowed to put up whatever they want. It's their money, right?

*But*...(there's always a "but") I think if they're doing it just to ruffle some feathers, essentially being nothing but IRL trolling, then they're just adding to the conflict and not resolving anything.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

These billboards are primarily for other atheists since it's hard for believers to see outside that box, it's more about making a statement to other non-believers that they aren't alone.

I've always wanted to put up a billboard comparing God to Santa, since the two are so similar.

It would be socially acceptable to argue against and even ridicule an adult who believed in a supernatural man in a red suit who's punishes the wicked and rewards the good and has supernatural helpers called elves.

BUT a supernatural man in the sky on a throne who punishes the wicked and rewards the good and has helpers called angels, that's something "sacred" and apparently worth respecting. People are even described as "Salt of the Earth" and "Church Going" when people want to ESTABLISH their integrity or moral standing, it's really quite ridiculous.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well he is imaginary. So are they lying?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Any belief, even a lack of belief, runs the risk of becoming religious. Sure they have the right to post their billboards, but it seems like something a religious person would do.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I've heard that argument many times. I'm not gonna get into why i don't go with that but, I rather have a world of ghandis and MLK's than a world with 'common sense' people.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

yep..they sure do have the right to claim their beliefs.

I guess it will take God to prove them wrong.... and He has done it before.

If some humans continue to spit in the face of our creator and insist He doesn't exist, even after He has given substantial proof in miracles, apparitions..don't be surprised when God's patience runs out..

For the sake of the sorrowful passion of his Son, may He have mercy on us and the whole world...and may those who choose to deny His existence have the wisdom to reach out for His mercy when the time comes apparent that He does indeed exist.

His prophets are trying to warn us, to turn our lives around.. yet the stubborn insist on His non existence.

It will be the Holy Mighty One..The Holy Immortal One..that will have the final say.. on whether He exists or not.. so be ready.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
So do these men have the right to put these billboards up, IMO they do. Just as religious billboards are put up in town.

Where does the right to free speech derive to an atheist?

They have the right because they say so? Because they, man, say so?

If one man can give then another can take away.

We are all equals.

Now to someone who believes their rights come from a higher authority than man, well then they have an argument.

But that would make them NOT an atheist.

Oh bother.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

yep..they sure do have the right to claim their beliefs.

I guess it will take God to prove them wrong.... and He has done it before.

If some humans continue to spit in the face of our creator and insist He doesn't exist, even after He has given substantial proof in miracles, apparitions..don't be surprised when God's patience runs out..

For the sake of the sorrowful passion of his Son, may He have mercy on us and the whole world...and may those who choose to deny His existence have the wisdom to reach out for His mercy when the time comes apparent that He does indeed exist.

His prophets are trying to warn us, to turn our lives around.. yet the stubborn insist on His non existence.

It will be the Holy Mighty One..The Holy Immortal One..that will have the final say.. on whether He exists or not.. so be ready.

Quoted for the truth. Amen.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
wouldn't their money be more well spent by feeding the hungry,or education?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
What a bunch of attention whores, if they want to be atheists then be it, don't waste money on some billboard attacking Christianity.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Actually, wars are fought under the guise of religion by countries wanting to gain control of someone else's homeland.

People will fight and die for their faith and governments use faith as as a tool to get them to fight to gain oil and whatever other natural resources they desire that doesn't belong to them.

+12 more 
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

has given substantial proof in miracles, apparitions

I don't think you understand what the words substantial and proof mean when they are together in a sentence. For one thing proof is used primarily in terms of logic or mathematics. The word you want is evidence. As such there is no evidence FOR miracles or apparitions, let alone IN miracles or apparitions. If unsubstantiated stories and claims of miracles and sightings of apparitions are enough for you that's fine, but don't pretend they are substantial "proof" for everyone.

link   

Originally posted by reficul
wouldn't their money be more well spent by feeding the hungry,or education?

dude what a cliche comment, you know damn well money has been spent in more stupid ways

link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Where does the right to free speech derive to an atheist? They have the right because they say so? Because they, man, say so?

No, they have the right because the first amendment says so. And last time I checked, it still applies.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsMyName
Let people do their own thing. What's wrong with imaginary friend's? especially when he tells you to do good things for humanity... I have real friend's like that in-conjunction with my 'imaginary' one.

History clearly shows that people can justify literally anything if they have an imaginary friend with superpowers to take care of the big picture. Stoning children to death just for disobeying their parents is just one example in the Bible.

In fairness, coming straight out and saying "god is imaginary", while true in the conventional Western sense, is not a good way to "start open discussion". You can't really discuss these issues anyways - when was the last time you heard someone convert, one way or the other, because of some open discussion? Theists rely on faith, not logic or reason.

That said, I do think these billboards are a good idea. The sooner people start using their critical reasoning and dump their barbaric religions, the sooner we can move forward.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeBoss

Then would you say the same for christians. and other religious factions? Should they not have these billboards either to push their agenda on others? Think

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join