It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran 'definitely' closing Strait of Hormuz over EU oil embargo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well there is a difference between them saying it is their legal right to close the straight after EU sanctions, and saying they are "definitely" going to close it.

Tensions in the Gulf could reach a breaking point as a senior Iranian official said Iran would “definitely” close the Strait of Hormuz if an EU oil embargo disrupted the export of crude oil.

Mohammad Kossari, deputy head of parliament's foreign affairs and national security committee, issued the warning in respone to a decision by the European Union on Monday to impose an oil embargo on Iran over the country’s alleged nuclear weapons program.

“The pressure of sanctions is designed to try and make sure that Iran takes seriously our request to come to the table,” EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said.

However, with Washington’s decision to deploy a second carrier strike group in the Gulf, the EU’s attempt to pressure Iran economically could greatly increase the likelihood of all-out war in the region.

rt.com...

That could spell war much sooner than expected, since some 20% of the world oil supply is now potentially compromised. This don't look good folks.

:shk:

Israel is getting its grimy, greasy, slimy little way as usual.

Aren't you happy Mr. MIC? All that money you're going to make killing people.

One day, dammit, one day, you shall pay dearly for this.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If this is true...

Then Iran will "definitely" be opposed and it may not be pretty.
Stay tuned.

edit on 23-1-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
why not. america won't change presidents while all out war is raging in iran and oil prices are sky rocketing.

unless newt or romney promise to end the war to get re-elected. which would be a huge hypocrisy since they are calling for war against iran in every interview.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well I guess the next report is "Iran Closes SoH."

Oil futures are probably already up. But I don't follow that stuff. Too busy learning how to use a pro level seismology program.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
20% of the worlds oil at stake, I say Iran holds the fifth ace in the deck, not that it pleases me but if it prevents another needless war I am all for it.

Don't forget this folks that it is winter in a good part of the world and winter demands oil or your going to die from hypothermia sooner than later.

This war crap is needless and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that, I for one am sick to death of the death of innocent folks in the name of "National Security"
Regards, Iwinder
S&F

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Purely my opinion on this.

I think because of the sanctions on Iran, And regardless of their response, they are feeling them. Iran's only recourse is to say the Straits will be closed. By doing this, the price of crude could increase in a preparation of that to happen.
So without doing anything, they can make the hardswhip passed on, and let people have a idea what really could happen, in the event of war.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I have no idea what is or what isnt coming out of Iran. Within the past 30 days, they have gave conflicting statements over Hormuz.

(This article comes from late December)

Iran gives conflicting statements on Strait of Hormuz oil route

Tehran - Iran on Tuesday warned with closing the Hormuz in the Persian Gulf, which is a vital transit route in the region for international oil exports.

'If (Western countries) sanctioned Iranian oil, then we would not allow one drop of oil to cross the Strait of Hormuz,' Iranian Vice President Mohammd-Reza Rahimi was quoted by the official news agency as saying.

But.....they also say this.

Rahimi's remarks followed a clear statement by the Iranian Foreign Ministry that Tehran had no plans to close the Strait of Hormuz.

'We have several times announced that closing the Strait of Hormuz has never been on our agenda as we believe in peace and tranquillity in the region,' Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said just last week.

Sometimes I dont think Iran even knows what Iran is doing.
edit on 23-1-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just curious here.
I keep hearing that the EU oil contracts are in place until July.
Where is EU going to get their oil from until then, if Iran doesn't honour the contracts currently in place? How can the EU be guaranteed oil, if this all soon goes in the crapper?

It's winter time.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think that those type of messages are for Iranian public that is really worried due to economic implications.
It transmits that Iran is strong and no need to worry. Aslo, keep in mind elections in Iran are very near.
Because i fail to see what good can come to Iran if it closes the strait. Saudi Arabia and other smaller countries i the area would go ballistic and become potentially actively hostile. UN will be inturmoil, even China that gets oil from Iran via sea (unless i am mistaken) will not aprove the chaos.
It will go to war that has more countires actively engaged against Iran then if it will simply go for China/Russia/India market and not EU one.
So i think that it is inner propaganda for elections.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
20% of the worlds oil at stake, I say Iran holds the fifth ace in the deck, not that it pleases me but if it prevents another needless war I am all for it.

Don't forget this folks that it is winter in a good part of the world and winter demands oil or your going to die from hypothermia sooner than later.

This war crap is needless and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that, I for one am sick to death of the death of innocent folks in the name of "National Security"
Regards, Iwinder
S&F

I have said it a hundred a 100 times before and will say it again. I am so glad a few years back I invested in a wood stove to heat the house. So power outage, oil shortage, whatever at least I will be warm and able to cook.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
America's good friend Saudi Arabia will step up its oil production to compensate for any losses at the hand of Iran closing the Strait of Hormuz.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
America's good friend Saudi Arabia will step up its oil production to compensate for any losses at the hand of Iran closing the Strait of Hormuz.

At what cost?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yeah but when the semis stop delivering food from far off places youd better have lots of good ole beans to boil, cause everything else will sktrocket too..how about when we run out of TP?
Ever thought of that?
Or smokes or medicines from far places or all kinds of things that depend upon diesel to get to us?
What about gas for yer pickup?
if you end up carrying home enough wood to warm your house every day itll be stranuous work.....specially with cutting it up with a drag saw....Donr have one yet?
Too bad....saw gas may get hard to find too
Lots of stuff made from petroleum that you will miss sooner or later.....vaseline fer petes sake!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If and when Iran actually goes through with this, nothing good will come from it whatsoever..how can it?

I'll save members my speculation as, there really isn't a lot left to say.

The optimistic side of me is saying this will force the hand for a sustainable energy solution, the realistic side of me is sayin gotherwise.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Iran will NOT close the Straight and they WILL roll over and play dead. The bully will have his way!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Iran makes threats on a regular basis. Its what they do.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Iran won't try and close the Straights. End of story.

They are not stupid. Why would they do EXACTLY what the US/Israel wants them to do?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Yeah right sure they are!!!! I'll believe it when i see it. The Iranians are going to do anything but continue on with the bluster and diarrhea of the mouth. Quick, somebody send them a shipment of Immodium!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

you missed the memo.

Saudi Arabia no longer accepts US dollars for oil.
Their currency no longer is pegged to the dollar.
They booted the US military out of their country.
They created the worlds largest dairy farm in their country so they don't need US milk/beef.
They financed and their people did a successful attack on America on 9-11.

Saudi Arabia switched to the Chinese. Hence why we ain't bombed them...yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Tensions in the Gulf could reach a breaking point as a senior Iranian official said Iran would “definitely” close the Strait of Hormuz if an EU oil embargo disrupted the export of crude oil.

The EU oil embargo is not gonna disrupt Iran's oil exports; they can export all the oil they want; it just means the EU is not gonna buy any of Iran's oil. RT News doesn't know how to write a simple news article.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join