It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Megaupload? No Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen, there seems to be a crackdown on file sharing, and knowledge sharing, information sharing in general.

I am going to give a quick brief tutorial on file sharing techniques and a briefly touch on some security aspects which you should look into further because it is very beneficial.

Method 1: P2P - no anonymity, supports encryption
Software: BitTorrent, Utorrent:
www.bittorrent.com...
www.utorrent.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Method 2: Anonymous P2P must be used in conjunction with Tor, or I2P
Software: Tor, I2P, Freenet
www.torproject.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Tor and I2P channels your data through nodes to obfuscate your data, which is better than a proxy because not only does it encrypt your data through the nodes (WARNING: EXCEPT EXIT NODE), it obfuscates your true external IP address

Method 3: Server, and FTP
filezilla-project.org...
Tutorial: Server Tutorial

Notes on security:

utorrent can provide data encryption which is usefeul against some ISPs which can see which data is torrent traffic which limits and throttles them. Tor by default encrypts the middle node traffic, except the exit nodes. With Filezilla you can set up an encrypted server which uses TLS/SSL strictly for data transfers. There may be an advanced way to use Filezilla with tor, but in my opinion that would be an excellent file sharing setup. If you have any other ideas please feel free to add

edit on 23-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The entire history of War has been the invention of better swords countered by better shields, this is kind of the same thing.

All censorship will do is create a more Savvy internet user, the adversarial relationship the government seems to be taking toward the internet is a very bad thing.

But in a way its good, it shows all of us the problems with our government, that a relatively small industry that does not employ as much as say the auto industry, and who regularly outsources work outside of the US, has more of a voice than the people.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Agreed I have used demonoid for years, no need for sites like mega upload, they can ban torrent websites as most are .org or .me for example. You cant kill piracy US Senate morons, all you can do is push more tax dollars away from the US. Look at the attempts to stop online gambling, they just push people away

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

nice round up. That said, please do NOT use TOR for bittorrent downloads, and please do not suggest anyone else does this, this is the reason TOR is craptacular at best, because it's designed as "onion routing" and as such, severe traffic severely impedes data throughput.

User A downloads torrents via TOR, anyone else using the same nods as that user suffers.

ETA:

BTguard is a bittorrent specific VPN service you can use, it's a pay by month or year service, that works pretty well and evades any "Rogers" bittorrent blocking/throttling here in Canada. My friend swears by it.

Private trackers like are the safest bet for those unable or unwilling to protect their identity online.

edit on 23-1-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Torrent all the things!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

nice round up. That said, please do NOT use TOR for bittorrent downloads, and please do not suggest anyone else does this, this is the reason TOR is craptacular at best, because it's designed as "onion routing" and as such, severe traffic severely impedes data throughput.

User A downloads torrents via TOR, anyone else using the same nods as that user suffers.

ETA:

BTguard is a bittorrent specific VPN service you can use, it's a pay by month or year service, that works pretty well and evades any "Rogers" bittorrent blocking/throttling here in Canada. My friend swears by it.

Private trackers like are the safest bet for those unable or unwilling to protect their identity online.

edit on 23-1-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

It is legal to download here in canada, is it not?
Either way, i have downloaded a lot with no anonymity at all. I kinda stopped downloading, or just every once in awhile because i have no space, and there is nothing that interests me enough to download anymore. I had i2p configured on my last computer. Couldn't get it configured right at the time, but it worked and was a little on the slow side (hence why it wasn't working correctly, couldn't get my connections up, settings in my router were forbidding it, making it hard to mess around with.).
I'll be using TOR soon probably, im on the search of information that might be somewhere hidden in the deep net.
I used GhostVPN there for a little bit, you get 1gb data free per month, so its only for light usage if you want to remain free. It routes all your traffic through germany, so its not a bad idea. I think a bunch of space was really cheap too.

edit on 23/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
everybody i know has started to create there own filezilla servers and are in the process of storing massive amounts of data/knowledge on there own servers for distribution as and when its needed

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

No, downloading pirated or copyrighted work is still illegal in Canada, we have just not really bothered going after it, this is changing with the Harper government.

Right now, the most you'll get, is a letter from your ISP telling you to stop, and possibly from the riaa/mpaa saying they will sue. In a short while, when Harpers bill gets passed, it will be more dangerous to download illegally in Canada than the US.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I stopped a while ago ever since I heard what Harper has planned. Free music isn't worth having the conservative government make an example out of me.

@ the professional, thanks for the tips...I used to use each of those methods at one point or another in the last few years but I think I'm going to start buying music from Itunes if they don't have it available to download in a free podcast.

I only liked megaupload for the streaming TV shows but thankfully there are other sites, for now.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've torrented since 2002 when it all began and never got any letters.

I use kat.ph or demonoid.me

I also use peerblock: www.peerblock.com...
which in and of itself isn't perfect but helps

I also set uTorrent client to encrypt uploads and use a random port each time the client is started.

from 2002 to now not a single letter

and here is an old snapshot of my bandwidth useage

cito.allmysh-t.com...

So im quite the avid torrent user, course that's my local box which is quite a leech, but I do own 2 seedboxes that are colocated and run debian linux. I have RuTorrent web client and Rapidleech script installed on the remote linux seedboxes as well as webmin for remote administration.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
if i may add a slight tip
should anybody want to start hosting there own information thru the guidance of the original topic
if your using .rar files try set strong passwords on files such as rar

or you could allways use Glary Utilities under the Privacy And Security tab select the File Encrypter
then if any of your friends/contacts use that file they an reverse the encryption with glary
also sets it that if you file does get intercepted in transit its not going to be a simple task to crack it open and see what it contains

if anybody else has secure encryption tips for files id like to hear alternatives its allways good to gain more knowledge i believe
and thanks to o.p for a very solid well laid out post

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by AzureSky

No, downloading pirated or copyrighted work is still illegal in Canada, we have just not really bothered going after it, this is changing with the Harper government.

Right now, the most you'll get, is a letter from your ISP telling you to stop, and possibly from the riaa/mpaa saying they will sue. In a short while, when Harpers bill gets passed, it will be more dangerous to download illegally in Canada than the US.

The key words here are "for the private use of the person who makes the copy". This means that you may make a copy of any sound recording and use it yourself. You may copy a friend's cd, or you may download music, and listen to it yourself. All of these activities are exempted from infringement.

In contrast, the following activites are not exempted by s. 80. You may not copy a cd or rip an mp3 and give it to anyone else. You may not send an mp3 to a friend over the net, because a copy is made in that process. You may not file share (or upload) over the internet without infringing. This last infringement is due to the nature of p2p file-sharing.

Source

I dont know when this was written, and i don't know what has changed since it was.
But i don't doubt the future.
edit on 23/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
use VUZE (formerly azereus) which has a built in encryption. Since using it my throttling has stopped, if I turn on bit torrent everything drops to 30-60kb/s rather than the 100-200 average I get on azureus. edit: if you are using an old computer (like I am) be weary that vuze will suck up a lot more ram than other programs. I usually have to run it on its own and not use my computer
so I do it at night. My gf's computer is win7 64 with a quad core processor, it does just fine running vuze and everything else at once. Im jealous
edit on 23-1-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I also recommend leaving the United States and moving to Switzerland where they have real freedom.
Better education than the US has, Lower crime rates. More freedoms... Hunting is awesome in Switzerland for gun owners.

And oh yea of course this: torrentfreak.com...

Swiss Government rules all downloads for personal use are 100% legal.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Not to forget,
eDonkey was one of the first P2P clients.
It later was renamed to eMule, and is still one of the strongest file-sharing means that exists.

eMule Website

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I need a demonoid invite. My cousin promised me one several weeks ago and never produced.
If you can help a guy out, just message me. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

I bet torrent business is going to pick up after this, but just as a reminder to not really use torrents with tor too much because these networks are really used mostly for communications and you would kill the bandwidth by using torrents on their networks.

new topics

top topics

join