It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pet licensing for animal welfare

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Where I live many people don't take care of their pets - especially dogs.

I was thinking the government should confiscate pets that aren't licensed. Furthermore, the government should visit the home of a prospective pet owner, insist on birth control, require that the owner set aside a certain amount of money in an account for veterinary care, etc. In other words, adopting a pet should be more like adopting a child.

Actually, where I live I don't think anyone even enforces vaccinations.
edit on 23-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I think the government is involved in way too many personal matters already, let alone letting them monitor how we treat our dogs - its like social services but for animals..I can picture it now

You hit your dog? right, its getting put down...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

I disagree. Bigger, more intrusive government will not solve this problem. Forcing pet owners to have money in an account? Confiscating pets that aren't licensed? This will cause more problems than it will solve.

How about this: Instead of paying for a huge bureaucracy of pet Nazis, why not have a fund available to assist low-income owners to be able to spay and neuter their pets without going broke doing it? Dogs that roam loose will be picked up, as it has been done for over 100 years now. Cats should be left alone unless they prove to be a nuisance to the neighbors, as cats clean up mice, rats, snakes and large bugs.

The problem lies with the veterinary medical establishment, who wants to charge a fortune for simple pet care. Make it affordable for people (through grants, charity, and private funding), let them know where to go, and many more pets will be spayed, neutered and vaccinated. This would help ease the burden on animal shelters.

Many people who are poor and lonely (especially the elderly) rely on pets to give them solace and comfort. I don't see big government as the answer.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So they should come and take me fish because I didn't register him? Or maybe my dog because I don't have a bank account in his name? This is a horrible idea. If my dog gets sick and I don't have 2k just laying around I will just have him put down. It sucks but I'm not willing to dump my hard earned money on an animal who's life expectancy is less then ten years.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You are not taking my dog! I live in the country, I don't register them. I take darn good care of them. I'm not paying extra fees, so you can send a cop to my house the next year, if I am late re-paying those fees.

How about you just report animal abuse when you see it. Leave us non abusers out of it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I am a cat owner...and I just renewed my cat's license. Every time I get paid I put a certain amount of money in the (cat Vet fund)...so that when it is time for his twice yearly checkups...there is always money available for that.

I don't understand why people don't take better care of their pets either.

When you are a pet owner....you are all that wonderful animal has...if you don't take good care of your pet and are not kind and loving to them....then you have no business being a pet owner.

I too think there should be in place some reliable ways to check into people's backgrounds who want to be pet owners and/or are already pet owners. Perhaps some new laws should be passed.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's hard enough to adopt a pet dog now in the uk if you go to the shelter let alone making this process harder, we have a nice family home went to various shelters only to be turned down for stupid reasons at each, luckily we found an independent rescue that was more understanding and we have now had our rescue dog 3 years shes insured against everything, gets taken out 3 times aday, gets the best food and care and is living the life of Riley....the point I'm trying to make is that it's hard enough if you have a decent loving home for them now without all this added nonsense the dogs that are in shelters need homes now otherwise lots get put to sleep that is the tragedy.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

FAIL....

My dog...my responsibility. Your dog...your responsibility...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I totally agree with you!!!
Edit: I'm not for the confiscating bit though! But vetting should definitely happen!

It makes me SICK that so many people are cruel to dogs and animals in general. And if they get caught after doing the most monstrous acts you could think of???...... 3 months community service (MAX)

It's got to the point now that one of my main pet hates (no pun intended), is when i see 17 year old spotty CHAVS with staffies. The MAJORITY of them, DO NOT LOVE THAT DOG!!! It's there for their PATHETIC image and fighting..

#*%ing scum of the earth!!!

Wow - I feel better now, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

edit on 23-1-2012 by Ozvaldo because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2012 by Ozvaldo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hmmm. Okay, look.

My cat fell ill about a month ago. He couldn't walk very well, we still don't know what happened to him.

Took him to the vet, did my duty. Vet offered laser treatments for a week...LASER treatments? I agreed to ONE laser treatment and pain medicine for my cat. He was on the mend within the week and I still had money for the rest of the family.

Would my cat get LASER treatments in the wild...on his own? Hell no. He would have to deal with it himself. I did what I could, but if he needed anymore than that I couldn't provide.

Why?

Because we are broke and so is everyone else, so let's fix that and then we can take Lucky to the vet when he needs to go!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankel
It's hard enough to adopt a pet dog now in the uk if you go to the shelter let alone making this process harder, we have a nice family home went to various shelters only to be turned down for stupid reasons at each, luckily we found an independent rescue that was more understanding and we have now had our rescue dog 3 years shes insured against everything, gets taken out 3 times aday, gets the best food and care and is living the life of Riley....the point I'm trying to make is that it's hard enough if you have a decent loving home for them now without all this added nonsense the dogs that are in shelters need homes now otherwise lots get put to sleep that is the tragedy.

The system you describe for the UK is the way it should be in the US. Maybe it is too difficult to adopt a pet in the UK, but in most parts of the US there are no prerequisites. Some crummy pet owner's dog has puppies and those puppies go to more crummy pet owners. Pit bulls seem to be treated the worst, because the owners often think of them as a macho status symbol instead of a companion. Eventually the crummy pet owner gets tired of the dog and trades it for a new toy.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

FAIL....

Dogs aren't property just as children aren't property. If people don't take responsibility for their dogs then somebody else should take responsibility - just as we do when parents don't take responsibility for their children.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I am a cat owner...and I just renewed my cat's license. Every time I get paid I put a certain amount of money in the (cat Vet fund)...so that when it is time for his twice yearly checkups...there is always money available for that.

I don't understand why people don't take better care of their pets either.

When you are a pet owner....you are all that wonderful animal has...if you don't take good care of your pet and are not kind and loving to them....then you have no business being a pet owner.

I too think there should be in place some reliable ways to check into people's backgrounds who want to be pet owners and/or are already pet owners. Perhaps some new laws should be passed.

It sounds like your cat has a good home.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but this has to be about one of the DUMBEST ideas I have heard of.

No, forget dumb......its completely asinine.

Government control of pets???

OK, so there are some idiots out there who dont know how to take care of an animal, or breed them specifically for fighting, or run puppy mills.......I agree, all bad people.

Does that mean the rest of the population should be subject to government regulation of our pets?
GOVERNMENT REGULATION OF PETS (in what persons mind does that sound anywhere near sensible??)

There are these entities that exist called animal control, SPCA, humane society. If you have an issue with the way someone handles their pet.....CALL THESE PEOPLE.

Don't sit there and claim that more government intervention is the answer.

Do you really want to send an IRS agent to my house to see if I am rich enough to own a dog?

I treat my pets better than many people treat their children!

Hey, I know, lets start sending IRS agents around to take peoples kids if the dont have a big enough bank account.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

FAIL....

Dogs aren't property just as children aren't property. If people don't take responsibility for their dogs then somebody else should take responsibility - just as we do when parents don't take responsibility for their children.

That is what is wrong with our society. So many are not willing to take responsibility for their own actions. Let the Government take over every aspect of our existence. There is a very big difference between children and pets.

What you are suggesting is what eventually makes a weak society. Plus, where the heck do you think all the money to implement the programs you are calling for, should come from.

It's bad enough we are having mandated Obama care shoved down our throats....you now want mandated health care for pets.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

FAIL....

That is what is wrong with our society. So many are not willing to take responsibility for their own actions. Let the Government take over every aspect of our existence. There is a very big difference between children and pets.

What you are suggesting is what eventually makes a weak society. Plus, where the heck do you think all the money to implement the programs you are calling for, should come from.

It's bad enough we are having mandated Obama care shoved down our throats....you now want mandated health care for pets.

To fund the PPS (pet protective services) I would use the license fees and a tax on pet food. Also I would have mandatory pet sterilization for all animals that aren't owned by licensed breeders.

Regarding Obama care, I think eventually people will look back on that as Obama's greatest achievement. Free enterprise doesn't work for health care unless we are willing to let poor or irresponsible people die for their mistakes.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Where I live many people don't take care of their pets - especially dogs.

I was thinking the government should confiscate pets that aren't licensed. Furthermore, the government should visit the home of a prospective pet owner, insist on birth control, require that the owner set aside a certain amount of money in an account for veterinary care, etc. In other words, adopting a pet should be more like adopting a child.

Actually, where I live I don't think anyone even enforces vaccinations.
edit on 23-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

Living in the country, there are no licenses. I have 3 dogs, all unlicensed. One is spayed, one is neutered, and my Shihtzu is still intact ( not neutered). I'm careful with him, he hasn't gotten any other dogs pregnant. One day, I might get him neutered, I don't know yet. Their vaccines are up to date.

None of them run free, even though I have 10 acres, there are predators that I'm protecting them from. I also don't want them being predatory.

I feed the large 2, organic dog food, and the little one gets home cooking, a fully balanced, healthy meal.
I have to move them over at night, to be able to get into bed.

I also have NO money set aside in case any of them get sick, I have a good vet, she would likely extend me credit. She cares about the animals more than money, and knows how I am. She's where I buy the organic food from.

Last thing I need is a government member coming in, and checking out my house, to make sure I'm a good doggy mommy. They'd probably just trip over a dog's toy, and sue me.

A government agent might be able to find something wrong, I don't know what though, and then my dogs would be traumatized if they were taken away.

It would be very traumatic for me too.

We are a pack. And I'm not even always the leader, I have to argue with my shepherd/husky/coyote cross for that position.

Oh, and a government agent would likely take her away, and have her put down, just for being part coyote.

Too many things go wrong when the government steps in for children, and sometimes the children are the ones that suffer unnecessarily because of the mistakes that get made. They need to fix those issues before they try to figure out how to extend the bureaucracy to pets.

edit on 23-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I am a mama to three cats...
They are up to date on all their shots,rabies tags and are all fixed.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

FAIL....

To fund the PPS (pet protective services) I would use the license fees and a tax on pet food. Also I would have mandatory pet sterilization for all animals that aren't owned by licensed breeders.

Regarding Obama care, I think eventually people will look back on that as Obama's greatest achievement. Free enterprise doesn't work for health care unless we are willing to let poor or irresponsible people die for their mistakes.

All I can say is...you have an illogical approach to hold up your argument. And thank god you aren't an elected official in any position of power. I wonder what you would do with my goats I breed for milk.....People like you scare me.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Do you even listen to your self??

Just because you are unhappy with one neighbor you have. (that you apparently have NOT called ASPCA, animal control, or humane society on...shame)

You want to start yet ANOTHER government bureaucracy AND raise taxes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join