It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pet licensing for animal welfare

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by cloudyday

I am a mama to three cats...
They are up to date on all their shots,rabies tags and are all fixed.

I believe you.
OP on the other hand apparently would like to have the government double check you.

Its not just shots, tags, fixed..... its also how much money you have.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Whatever money my husband and I had...
what the government didn't get our children did[2-legged]
not our 4 legged.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Amen...

I make home made organic food for my Great Pyrenees, guards my goats, and me. from venison stored in my deep freeze mixed with rice and fresh veggies. All my animals have better health care than I do.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have to admit, most crazy ideas on this site I chalk up to thinking outside the box, whether it is a good idea or not. This idea though, is the absolute worst idea I have ever heard. Do you understand what would happen to these poor animals that you want to protect, when someone falls on hard times and can't pay for their "license" every year for these pets? They would get shoved into an animal shelter (government ran) with thousands of other previously loved pets where they would receive little to no actual care because your program has run itself broke. Worse, some people may even be forced to put down their own healthy animals for fear that the government is about to throw them in prison for being poor and wanting an animal companion to love.

This is a terrible idea, plain and simple. I lived in a city a few years ago that had just instituted a "cat tax" for people who own a cat. Needless to say, I didn't pay a cat tax and I didn't register my cat either, because for all that is horrible and backwards with this world, I still have my cat to provide a bit of hope and comfort...no government or person in this world will EVER take that away from me just because I can't give them money that they don't deserve. And nor will you. My money is better served taking care of my cat than giving it to a government that can't even help its own people. Terrible idea, just absolutely terrible.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
I have to admit, most crazy ideas on this site I chalk up to thinking outside the box, whether it is a good idea or not. This idea though, is the absolute worst idea I have ever heard. Do you understand what would happen to these poor animals that you want to protect, when someone falls on hard times and can't pay for their "license" every year for these pets? They would get shoved into an animal shelter (government ran) with thousands of other previously loved pets where they would receive little to no actual care because your program has run itself broke. Worse, some people may even be forced to put down their own healthy animals for fear that the government is about to throw them in prison for being poor and wanting an animal companion to love.

This is a terrible idea, plain and simple. I lived in a city a few years ago that had just instituted a "cat tax" for people who own a cat. Needless to say, I didn't pay a cat tax and I didn't register my cat either, because for all that is horrible and backwards with this world, I still have my cat to provide a bit of hope and comfort...no government or person in this world will EVER take that away from me just because I can't give them money that they don't deserve. And nor will you. My money is better served taking care of my cat than giving it to a government that can't even help its own people. Terrible idea, just absolutely terrible.

I knew my idea might be controversial, but I never imagined anyone would think it is so unreasonable. This is no different from the way we handle human adoptions. (I haven't even mentioned the surprise home inspections and video surveillance collars.)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I came across a bit harsh in my last post, and I sort of regret that now. Sorry if I offended you in any way. But, the fact remains, I would never agree to paying someone else a fee to keep a pet. Like was said earlier, pets aren't property, they are like children. And you wouldn't ask someone to pay a license fee to have a child. Plus, getting the government involved would only create an environment that is detrimental to the animals, so regardless of the good intentions you have government intervention is not the answer to the problem.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982

I came across a bit harsh in my last post, and I sort of regret that now. Sorry if I offended you in any way. But, the fact remains, I would never agree to paying someone else a fee to keep a pet. Like was said earlier, pets aren't property, they are like children. And you wouldn't ask someone to pay a license fee to have a child. Plus, getting the government involved would only create an environment that is detrimental to the animals, so regardless of the good intentions you have government intervention is not the answer to the problem.

Thanks, I just get so tired of watching people get pets when they don't have the money or common sense to take care of them. I almost got bitten today walking down the street because I forgot about an idiot that ties his pit bull to the bumper of his truck all day while he is at work. The dog has no more than 3 feet of chain, no water dish, not much shade, plus somebody obviously trained it to be be mean. Then I hear from a friend about a cat with a broken tail and an inch or two of fleshless vertebra hanging out the end of the tail - very friendly and apparently somebody's pet. But the tail was very sensitive to pain and it probably needed to go to the vet.

Too many people don't think about the long term responsibilities of pet ownership. These same people don't think it's important to spay and neuter.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
.......idiot that ties his pit bull to the bumper of his truck all day while he is at work. The dog has no more than 3 feet of chain, no water dish, not much shade, plus somebody obviously trained it to be be mean. Then I hear from a friend about a cat with a broken tail and an inch or two of fleshless vertebra hanging out the end of the tail -

HELLO, is anybody in there?

Maybe you could do something like call the humane society, ASPCA, or Animal control.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I understand you perfectly. After 11 years of service in the US Army....all I want to do is to come home and live a peaceful life.

Here is the pretty little lady that helps me strive for peace

I dare the government to show up at my door and try to take her.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

.......idiot that ties his pit bull to the bumper of his truck all day while he is at work. The dog has no more than 3 feet of chain, no water dish, not much shade, plus somebody obviously trained it to be be mean. Then I hear from a friend about a cat with a broken tail and an inch or two of fleshless vertebra hanging out the end of the tail -

HELLO, is anybody in there?

Maybe you could do something like call the humane society, ASPCA, or Animal control.

Both those pets apparently have owners that are not deliberately abusing the animals; they are simply incompetent pet owners. Someone else reported the dog to the police a few weeks ago. The dog disappeared briefly and then it was back again chained to the truck bumper every day.

You seem a bit hypocritical to tell me you don't want anybody taking your kitten. But then you turn around and tell me to report to the humane society so they will seize these animals. Those animals would probably be euthanized, so how is that really helping? The best thing is to sterilize animals and control who gets them in the first place. (Like don't let somebody own a dog unless they have a fenced yard for it so it doesn't need to be chained to their truck bumper. Don't give cats to people who can't or won't take them to the vet when they need attention when they loose part of their tail.)
edit on 24-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

.............Someone else reported the dog to the police a few weeks ago. ..............

Its a good thing someone else cares enough about the well being of that dog to report the owners.

Perhaps some day you will be able to take action, rather than just starting a thread.

Until then, I applaud that someone else, and hope you might see their wisdom.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

.............Someone else reported the dog to the police a few weeks ago. ..............

Its a good thing someone else cares enough about the well being of that dog to report the owners.

Perhaps some day you will be able to take action, rather than just starting a thread.

Until then, I applaud that someone else, and hope you might see their wisdom.

What do you think is going to happen to the dog if animal control takes it? It's going to sit in the animal shelter a few weeks until they euthanize it. The solution is to reduce the number of available pets through mandatory sterilization (that should be a requirement of the license). Then owners will be competing over a small supply of pets.
edit on 24-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

What do you think is going to happen to the dog if animal control takes it?

It's going to receive any necessary medical care in the animal shelter, and then be adopted by some one with more heart and common sense than your neighbor or you.

The solution is to reduce the number of available pets through mandatory sterilization (that should be a requirement of the license). .......

MANDATORY STERILIZATION ???

Do you understand how CREEPY that sounds?

Who made you "god of the animals"??

Why do you think more government control is the answer?

How about we just give every citizen an IQ test, and decide who needs the government hand holding based on that.
edit on 24-1-2012 by vogon42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

It's going to receive any necessary medical care in the animal shelter, and then be adopted by some one with more heart and common sense than your neighbor or you.

The solution is to reduce the number of available pets through mandatory sterilization (that should be a requirement of the license). .......

How about we just give every citizen an IQ test, and decide who needs the government hand holding based on that.

Dream on. Most adult animals that go to the animal shelter get euthanized. Very few are adopted. Sterilization is the solution.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Does your part of the country not have "no kill" shelters?

or are you intentionally looking at the dark side of things?

ETA: Also - Who made you "god of the animals"??

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Does your part of the country not have "no kill" shelters?

or are you intentionally looking at the dark side of things?

Our shelter kills the animals. I know because I considered volunteering there. I was afraid I would find myself adopting every animal that was going to be euthanized, so I decided it wasn't a good idea. I have one cat and no yard. It's a bad neighborhood and I wouldn't want to let a pet roam the streets.

Animal shelters are designed to make people feel good about euthanizing unwanted animals. They need to be sterilized so we don't have to euthanize later.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

......I know because I considered volunteering there. I was afraid I would find myself adopting every animal that was going to be euthanized, so I decided it wasn't a good idea. .....

Yes, always better to do nothing, rather than help effect change.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

......I know because I considered volunteering there. I was afraid I would find myself adopting every animal that was going to be euthanized, so I decided it wasn't a good idea. .....

Yes, always better to do nothing, rather than help effect change.

Technology made all us hominids the "gods" of our fellow animals. We can treat them terrible and they just wag their tales and love us. Oh well.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

They have reduced spay and neuter programs in spades.

It just can't hold back teh leveee of atrocious and neglectful pet owners.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

ASPCA

Who are you kidding??

•Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.

Well since most humans tend to do a pretty lousy job of taking care of animals, considering that millions are killed each year and 25 million cats and dogs are suffering on the streets.

Two unaltered cats and all their descendants can theoretically number 420,000 in just seven years.
Twenty percent of cat guardians think their cats are too young to be altered, and 18% say they are not able to afford spay/neuter surgery.
Twenty-one percent of dog guardians want to breed their dogs, and 13% think their dogs are too young to be altered.

Sometimes you have to regulate stupidity.

link
edit on 24-1-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join