It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Mysterious 7238.1 kHz "Intruder Signal" Baffles Radio Operators

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
A mysterious transmission, apparently composed of multiple discrete signals, and emanating from an area north of Prescott, Arizona, and west of Interstate 17 has amateur radio operators tuning in, and scratching their heads.

www.arrl.org
NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 9, 2004--An unidentified signal that's been showing up on the 40-meter phone band on or about 7238 kHz has mystified amateurs in the western US and Canada, where it's been heard frequently for the past few weeks. Although it resembles a steady carrier, a closer inspection suggests that the intruding signal actually is a series of closely space signals. Don Moman, VE6JY, in Edmonton, Alberta, says he's been hearing the signal quite loud at his QTH. .................
While no one's sure what it is, the FCC HF Direction Finding Facility has been able to determine that it's coming from somewhere north of Prescott, Arizona, and west of Interstate 17. FCC monitoring indicates the "buzz" is centered on 7238.1 kHz with a bandwidth of about 1 kHz and spikes spaced at about 90 Hz apart.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The signal has been reported to the International Amateur Radio Union and has been heard by operators in New Mexico, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Minnesota and Arizona, as well as by operators in Canada.

[edit on 9-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
You're hearing Venus.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
You're hearing Venus.

Some kind of proof? Maybe a link or something?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Having been a former "ham" radio operator myself, this story has perked my ears. Venus can cause occasional trouble, but only in the 10 meter band, and sometimes the 6 meter band (higher frequencies). I don't know if this is the time of year for that, and can't recall the nature of Venus radio troubles. This is 40 meters, a lower frequency unlikely to be from beyond the ionosphere.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
link

www.arrl.org...

john

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Check this out
I found this on an old thread at UFOMIND.COM

Some time ago I heard from Dr.
Steven Greer, CSETI founder, who does have excellent connections, that it
was his opinion that most of the really sensitive alien stuff had now been
moved to a base in Arizona, or a new base in Utah that was accessible only
by air. The name of the Arizona base was Camp Something, the Something
being an Indian name that I cannot remember, but which I will find out again in due course.

www.ufomind.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">http...://www.ufomind.com/area51/list/arc/1996/960912.html

with the following reply :

I think base he appears to be talking about isn't Camp (?). It's
the Navajo Army Depot, outside of Flagstaff, Arizona. The reason I
say this is that in researching a completely different military-
related topic I ran across reliable eyewitnesses reports of
activity involving large numbers of trucks leaving the depot with
loads of dirt and returning empty, nearly every day for months,
yet no obvious contruction of this scale is apparent at the
facility. I'm assuming that these reports indicate a large amount
of underground construction has taken place there in the last two
years, unless the army was storing dirt. (Could happen!)

www.ufomind.com...

Now guess where the Navajo Ordnance Depot is : north of Prescott, Arizona, and west of Interstate 17.

Of course this could just be coincidence.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'd bet it isn't Venus. These old Ham operators are usually very up to snuff on this stuff. If it makes it to ARRL, its something more than a mistaken signal. I don't have world band privilidges but I know a few that are so I'll get this topic to them and have them tune in from KY and see if they can pick it up.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
We need to see if someone get a quality recording of the signal.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Almost sounds like a voice(s)
www.arrl.org...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
HOT MIKE! SOMEONE'S GOT A HOT MIKE!!!

Some Private's asleep on his push-to-talk. No wonder those Brads are running into bombs.

::

Seriously, I just listened to that recording. That does sound like talking. But it just sounds like one guy to me. Sounds like he's on the phone, or giving a lecture.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Interesting...
It sort of sounds like the cross talk you can sometimes hear when you and your neightbor are both using 900Mhz cordless phones. Especially the end part.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'd be surpised if its a hot mic. To be close enough to key up, one usually is more audible when talking. I've heard it happen before and the mics sold with commercial Ham gear really pick up well. I heard this one guy fall asleep and role over on his mic. He was laying on it and still, the snoring was distinct and very audible *LOL*

I do think this is some sort of purposeful communication judging by the lack of drag on the "voice" as if breaking words abruptly to make sure they are are separated and distinct as many of us do when speaking into mic. I don't believe this to be a ham operator because no audible call signs were given and its against fcc rules to broadcast to "everyone" in general. Communication must be between two or more stations unless requesting contact. This is therefore, most likely, illegal use of said frequency whether by ignorance or apathy.

My last concern after listening to the recording is that what we may be taking as a voice might not actually be a voice, so to speak. It very well could be but something sounds a little artificial about the tone. I don't think its English. I'm not even sure its human and not sythisized.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
"I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication and this isn't used by the alliance, it could be an imperial code."
"Whatever it is it isn't friendly..."

Anything on the local news about this?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I may be wrong but I think the voice is just a strong signal slightly off the center frequency the radio the recording was made from was tuned to.

I have an HF recevier, but I am in the UK, I will try and have a listen in the evening when the conditions are better but I serously doubt I would get anything.

I know there are a lot of Java radios you can access remotely online, I only have a dial-up here but maybe someone with Broadband might have a look if they want. I don't have any URLs to hand but a quick search on Google should bring plenty up.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum Almost sounds like a voice(s) www.arrl.org...
The signal is the slightly cycling mid-pitched tone. Those odd squeeky voices are SSB ham operators on a nearby frequency, not part of the signal. The tone seems not to be the typical SSB (single side band) of hams. It sounds something like a constant key-down state of a troubled CW (continuous wave, or morse code) transmitter. (It's been a long, long time for me.) When these types of rigs are off alignment or have some about-to-fail components, their tone sounds odd, and when sending code, instead of a nice clean beeep for a code slash, you get more of a bwweieoeeeoeeepppk if you hold the key down long. So, this tone could be as benign as someone left their transmitter on by accident, went on vacation, and the cat knocked something over on their morse code key.
(It has happened)

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
sanctum:

I can distinctly hear someone saying "I come from ???"

This would indicate a conversation of two unknown parties if this is true.

Can anyone work it out?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
[So, this tone could be as benign as someone left their transmitter on by accident, went on vacation, and the cat knocked something over on their morse code key.
(It has happened)

Well, I guess its time for the local hams out there to do a little fox hunting. If this is a case of an open carrier wave, I'd say it will evetually be found out. It bothers me that the local hams hearing it are baffled. Like its something they haven't heard before. Most who have had their ticket a while have heard an accidental open mic or two but their perplexity is what spikes my curiousity.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am a shortwave numbers station listener and this "Intruder signal" seems to be not audible here in my locale of Pennslyvania.. Maybe will have to tune in an internet reciever located closer to that area.

People were saying its "BPL testing" But BPL doesen't propagate across the country. And if people from all over the area is hearing it.. and in Canada.. it's definately not "BPL testing"

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep two but their perplexity is what spikes my curiousity.
Dying transmitters can make very odd noises!

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Can anyone enhance the mp3 audio?

Tia,
Sanc'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join