It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 550 significant earthquakes in the last 30 days.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Even still , does that mean that the innocent children deserve to die?
I think not..

edit on 23-1-2012 by FullMetalAlchemist because: Because i wanted to

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The question would be well settled once and for all....
Surely there must be x years of data....
The data we have is perhaps tainted, but why not just for kicks somebody plot it out and give us a graph or whatever....
Just by the 4 figures, its obvious that if the figures are correct, we have had a signifigant increase in fours for three years running now...
What the rest of the data says would be good to know definitively.....
Everyone seems to have an opine as to the frequency on the increase or wane etc...

There are many places on the Internet you can find out what you are looking for.
But the problem is always going to be that each Network only covers certain areas and parameters.
USGS for example only record Global quakes over magnitude 4.5
Here are some places you can download the data, in each case leave the Location (Lat, Long) boxes empty to get the whole World coverage.
USGS/NEIC
ANSS
NOAA
GEOFON
EMSC

As well as that there is the Russian, Chilean, Scandanavian, New Zealand, Australian, Indonesian, Mexican, Iranian and many many other Networks that record below 4.5.

If you really want to find them all, start searching some of the links at QVS

Another problem with just looking at one magnitude in isolation is that a vast majority of Mag 4's are aftershocks of larger quakes.

If you are really interested you should be following Quake Watch here on ATS. A regular poster called Puterman is known to draw graphs of trends from time to time. All you have to do is ask.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Another problem with just looking at one magnitude in isolation is that a vast majority of Mag 4's are aftershocks of larger quakes.

Since I have come to this sight, I have learned much from you guys in the quake threads, keep up the great work!
With the increase in volcanic activity, I would think some of these range quakes could be associated to them?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
BTW there have been TWO "significant" earthquakes in the last 30 days, not just the one S of Honshu.
I hadn't loaded the 7.2 west of Sumatra on the 10th of Jan to the 2012 map.

USGS have a broader concept of what "significant" means, they often list mag 4's that occur within the USA as "significant", but generally they go for 6+
USGS Significant Earthquake and News Headlines Archive

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join