It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here thinks (CI)Anon is really just a ploy to criminalize the internet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
It means that you shouldn't just "off yourself". When the game is rigged, change the rules. Our government is our enemy. Unless RP gets elected and can actually institute the changes he desires, this nation is doomed. The people of the country are doomed to slavery. Will you choose slavery or liberty. If you are willing to die anyway, why not do so in the pursuit of liberty?

From time to time the tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It has been far to long since the tree was watered. That maybe our problem.

Don't think I wouldn't die for that. But I'm no soldier.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
the 'name' given the unit/cell/body of like minded people or person(s) is ANONYMOUS

but i call the entity 'ANYMOUSE'... as in any PC mouse can direct the operation....
so who knows if the whole scheme is a false-flag operation

why did it take so long for that angle to get press or coverage ?
edit on 22-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Josonic is right, it is not as easy as "click a button, hack a system". Not only do you need the technical know-how to accomplish it, there is a huge amount of luck required (that and relying on stupid users leaving gaping big holes).

To try and simplify it, let me explain: The problem is, in most situations, you cannot go straight after the servers holding emails, files, etc as they are protected by several layers. The easiest route in is to go after another machine connected to the server and hope that machine is cleared to access sensitive areas on the server. There is a whole lot of trial and error involved in penetrating a network and most often then not it is unsuccessful.

EDIT: Let me just add, I'm not promoting hacking in anyway, shape or form. Part of my work involves consulting firms on data security. You would be surprised the shocking state of some systems I have seen.
edit on 22-1-2012 by MattC because: addendum

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrUncreated

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
It means that you shouldn't just "off yourself". When the game is rigged, change the rules. Our government is our enemy. Unless RP gets elected and can actually institute the changes he desires, this nation is doomed. The people of the country are doomed to slavery. Will you choose slavery or liberty. If you are willing to die anyway, why not do so in the pursuit of liberty?

From time to time the tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It has been far to long since the tree was watered. That maybe our problem.

Don't think I wouldn't die for that. But I'm no soldier.
Most of those who signed the declaration were not. Most of those who stood at Breed's Hill, were not. Those who threw the Boston Tea party were not. Very few of our founding fathers were soldiers. Washington was one of the few and he was only a major iirc.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Amen!

'Nuff said.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattC

Josonic is right, it is not as easy as "click a button, hack a system". Not only do you need the technical know-how to accomplish it, there is a huge amount of luck required (that and relying on stupid users leaving gaping big holes).

To try and simplify it, let me explain: The problem is, in most situations, you cannot go straight after the servers holding emails, files, etc as they are protected by several layers. The easiest route in is to go after another machine connected to the server and hope that machine is cleared to access sensitive areas on the server. There is a whole lot of trial and error involved in penetrating a network and most often then not it is unsuccessful.

Ok, I am no CS majpr or anything. However since Anonymous is basically anonymous, could not one or more of them take a job in BofA's IT department and breach the system internally? Even if all they did was plant viruses to destroy all of the information on their computers, for example, it would be a tremendous blow for economic freedom. Since Anon is "legion" couldn't they be planting explosives in sensitive areas to destroy the hardware and infrastructure that keeps this beast alive? Taking down Master card's public page seems irrelevant and only serves to give TPTB ammo against a free internet while accomplishing nothing of note.
Thus, the hypothesis that they are a "controlled opposition" has some merit. IMO.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
Who here thinks (CI)Anon is really just a ploy to criminalize the internet?

SOPA,PIPA, and other marxist legislation/laws just makes it even simpler.

Not really. Hackers have been around a long time. Now that they're in the mainstream it's easy for people who aren't aware of them to jump to conclusions.

That's not to say they might have been infiltrated at some levels, but I doubt their motives and actions reflect anything the government want.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

It is not about destroying anything. Anonymous' actions have always been non-violent protest. There is no need to resort to destructive means as then Anonymous is no better than those they attack. And before anyone says anything, ddos is not destructive, its disruptive.

Also, who's to say there isn't someone working at BofA or any other major bank who sympathises with Anon, or is an active member of Anon? Of course it would always be easier to break into a system if you had an insider but its a VERY risky tactic as all members of staff working for financial organisations, including external contractors, are fully screened and closely monitored. Thats not to say it doesn't happen, but your chances of being caught are significantly greater if you infiltrate in this way.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

How come they never get in trouble? These guys cant be that good.

There have been anon arrests both high and low profile in many countires of the world

The other thing that Anon apparently does is release information like addresses of people who they don't like.

Anon defends the internet it is grass roots by nature and it is not run by the government it is online democracy

yes peeps get doxed and silly things do happen to them.

Real heros don't hide behind masks.

edit on 22-1-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

SOPA,PIPA, and other marxist legislation/laws just makes it even simpler.

How are they marxist? Please explain.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Everyone is under the impression Anonymous are hackers. where do you get that idea? The mainstream media? Because that's where I hear all the "hacker" talk. Why won't you find tons of anons being arrested under hackers? Because they aren't hackers. And because a DDoS isn't hacking. It technically isn't even illegal. The government just uses other existing laws to cover the "crimes" of a DDoS.

Anonymous is me. It is you. It is everyone. My point is, not all of anon are hackers. Some might be yes. But if you expect "anonymous," as a whole, to suddenly bring down Bank of America by publishing all their internal emails, then you clearly have no idea what Anonymous is.
edit on 22-1-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: typos

edit on 22-1-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: clarify

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
Everyone is under the impression Anonymous are hackers. where do you get that idea?

100% agree, I think (or rather hope) most people are aware of this; Anonymous is so much more than just a hacker collective (take the public protesting against Scientology for instance).

The OP was referring to recent attacks over the internet and likening them to government insiders which is why the focus of this thread has been on Anon hackers only but, as DragonFire1024 said, It is so much more.
edit on 22-1-2012 by MattC because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join