It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow on mars - NASA sleigh ride!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
In this video recently released by NASA, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter have taken a nice amount of high res images of what looks like a snowy landscape on Mars. These pictures have been made inte the following video, which i find pretty fascinating! Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Nice vid

I know, 20 years ago, the news about water on the moon would have been big news. Hm they found water there and somehow it did not get to heavy mentoined.
Same with mars.
They did know this for decades, you dont need HD video to see that there is ice.
Screw NASA, screw the other space agencies that knew about it.
What were the last words from apollo? "you killed us you bastards".
They lied to us, those bastards.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

I question the color filter used because from other pictures it looks to be quite destert like and not red at all...so I'm not sure if this is some filter that is being used....I wouldn't say it's not likely either..

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
They did know this for decades, you dont need HD video to see that there is ice.
It's ice, but not water ice, it's frozen CO2, any water ice would be below the CO2 ice (or so the theories go), as water would freeze first.

According to some ESA scientists, when the CO2 ice melts, the water ice under it turns into vapour and goes up into the high atmosphere clouds that have been photographed by the Mars rovers many times. When the clouds reach the pole, the vapour turns into snow, that is then covered by frozen CO2 and the cycle begins again.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

great, didn´t thought of CO2 ice. Shame on me as a tech. As for a excuse, I always hated chemistry

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

The colour photos were made with three filters, one for infra-red, another for red and a third for blue+green, so we cannot get a true colour image from those, but after some changes the colours are somewhat similar to those seen in true colour photos, although the colours look more saturated and brighter.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

It's ice, but not water ice, it's frozen CO2, any water ice would be below the CO2 ice (or so the theories go), as water would freeze first.

According to some ESA scientists, when the CO2 ice melts, the water ice under it turns into vapour and goes up into the high atmosphere clouds that have been photographed by the Mars rovers many times. When the clouds reach the pole, the vapour turns into snow, that is then covered by frozen CO2 and the cycle begins again.

They have found plenty of water ice on surface as well as glaciers.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
They have found plenty of water ice on surface as well as glaciers.

Yes, they have found water ice, but, as far as I know, not that much on the surface. As for the glaciers, I don't remember seeing any water ice glacier on Mars.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Can give me a link or any info on where you read the above quote?
I would love to know more about this quote.

edit on 22-1-2012 by spinkyboo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Can give me a link or any info on where you read the above quote?
I would love to know more about this quote.

edit on 22-1-2012 by spinkyboo because: (no reason given)

I believe that is from the apollo 18 movie, but i may be wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Thank you for that video post.
I enjoyed watching it.

Its always good to take some time to look up and take in knowledge about the universe around us.

In terms of NASA

In my humble opinion, believing anything that comes out of NASA is like trying to take a pathological liar on witness stand in court and take them seriously.

I believe Mars, as well many other planets in our local system are teaming with human/ humanoid life.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
At 1.02 through 1.06, it looks like snow on dead grass or bushes
What is that?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

This?

It's supposed to be some dark material flowing down from the top of the dunes. In this image is not that noticeable, but on the original image it's easier to see. I see if I can find that photo.

Edit: it's photo PSP_007962_2635.
edit on 22/1/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
At 1.02 through 1.06, it looks like snow on dead grass or bushes
What is that?

Ya also think i saw what look like tree at edge of some sand dune

Ya S & F for sure

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
water, forests, trees, lakes, blue sky...... it all be there on Mars.

don't believe those that say otherwise.

Water is everywhere in the universe. It's made of oxidized hydrogen. Hydrogen is the most basic fundamental element in the universe. Since hydrogen exists everywhere. Water must as well. It is no further a stretch than Nasa saying there are a 100 billion planets in the milkyway.

They can't prove it but they state so. So why not just state that water exists. Makes more sense than all the planets that no one has detected from earth yet.

Oh, yeah, can't say there is water on mars yet. Don't want to offend the endangered species, Religious ignoramus'.
edit on 22-1-2012 by consciousgod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I've always thought that the black looks suspiciously like oil. Oil of course usually means life here on Earth.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by consciousgod
I doubt it, as I haven't seen any signs of liquid water, forests, trees or lakes, although I have seen blue skies in some photos.

Why, just because you say so?

Since hydrogen exists everywhere. Water must as well.
Aren't you forgetting Oxygen? Oxygen is not as common as hydrogen.

And the problem is not the existence of water, it's the existence of water in the liquid state.

Oh, yeah, can't say there is water on mars yet.
But NASA and ESA (at least) already said that there is water on Mars, liquid water is what hasn't been found yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I wonder if C02 ice crystallizes in unique fractals the same way water does? Nice thread with some revealing photo's. I suppose you would consider it off topic if we were to contaminate it with conspiracy theories surrounding the recent Russian Mars probe reentry??

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by consciousgod
I doubt it, as I haven't seen any signs of liquid water, forests, trees or lakes, although I have seen blue skies in some photos.

Why, just because you say so?

Since hydrogen exists everywhere. Water must as well.
Aren't you forgetting Oxygen? Oxygen is not as common as hydrogen.

And the problem is not the existence of water, it's the existence of water in the liquid state.

Oh, yeah, can't say there is water on mars yet.
But NASA and ESA (at least) already said that there is water on Mars, liquid water is what hasn't been found yet.

You made an observation. You saw blue sky in a photo. Congrats on opening your eyes.

Yes oxygen is less abundant, but it is plentiful enough.

www.sciencemag.org...

www.agu.org...

www.obspm.fr...

This one is even more interesting. O^16 ratios indicate the Mars and Earth did not form from the same nebula as the Sun. This goes against the current model of the solar system where the sun and planets form from the same nebula. physicsworld.com...

I think this is a wrong conclusion. We don't yet understand the isotope ratios. There could be a method to sorting them to get different ratios. Or the solar model is wrong, or something else.

Liquid water has not been found yet on Mars. Funny......they said the same thing about the moon and the entire time, water existed in such large quantities that they now say there is more water on the moon than the earth. And you trust Nasa?

One would not think of water in the Sahara, but dig and you will find. We are three for three.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join