It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Sinkhole in Dagestan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Can't stop myself...impulse over-ride inop....HAARP.....

Pretty sure those dudes at haarp had some happy tobacky and kinda lost the target...you know instead of hitting iran or syria they kinda went way up north.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Yeah, take your kids to the edge of a big sinkhole..

Impressive hole though

Thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
But to be honest I would be tempted to build a small construction, tape a camcorder on it with a big flashlight, a long rope and let the baby down the hole

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

I'm surprised that there is no mention of how deep it is. None of the articles that discuss this hole talk about any attempts to figure out the depth.

There is not much information available on this hole.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Hellas

I'm surprised that there is no mention of how deep it is. None of the articles that discuss this hole talk about any attempts to figure out the depth.

There is not much information available on this hole.

Road Trip...

edit on 21-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I wonder what method they could use to measure how deep it is. Depending on the actual depth, it would probably require some type of sonar radar system. I'm not even sure if that would work but I can't think of any other way to measure it.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I wonder what method they could use to measure the how deep it is.

I'd be tempted to drop a rock down it and see if I could hear it hit the bottom.

Very impressive hole. Weird how it is built up around the top too.

Maybe something came out of the ground?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The Tripod!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
But to be honest I would be tempted to build a small construction, tape a camcorder on it with a big flashlight, a long rope and let the baby down the hole

I'd like to tie a rope around Obama, give him a walkie talkie...and lower his happy A$$ down that hole.....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Hellas

I'd like to tie a rope around Obama, give him a walkie talkie...and lower his happy A$$ down that hole.....

We will need a bigger boat..

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
did you know that :

Turkmenistan: Darvaza Gas Crater

In 1971, geologists discovered a massive underground deposit of natural gas on this site. Whilst excavating the hole to tap the gas, the drilling rig collapsed leaving a massive hole. To prevent poisonous gasses from escaping, the hole was allowed to burn. It continues to burn to this day and has done so without ceasing.

edit on 21-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Also found this bit of info on Dagestan...being made a major player in EQ monitoring.

Earthquake Forecast Problem Being Solved In North Caucasus

An international agreement on scientific cooperation has been signed 04 august 2011 between the Global Network for the Forecasting of Earthquakes and the Dagestan Branch of the Geophysical Survey of the Russian Academy of Sciences according to which the Dagestan Republic is included in the international earthquake forecast organization GNFE as a full member.
The Contract provides for setting up of an ATROPATENA earthquake forecast station in the Dagestan Republic.
www.wosco.org...

There was also a world wide travel advisory issued to travel to Dagastan in August of 2011,to keep all people out of the area.

We advise against all travel to Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan because of the security situation in the North Caucasus.

We advise against all travel to the districts of east and south Stavropol Krai which border Dagestan and Chechnya, namely Budyonnovsky, Levokumsky, Neftekumsky, Stepnovsky and Kursky.

We advise against all but essential travel to North Ossetia, Karachai-Cherkessia and Kabardino-Balkaria (including the Elbrus area).

There is a high level of threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. Attacks have occurred most frequently in Moscow and in the North Caucasus.
www.fco.gov.uk...

I went looking for more info because the hole appears to me, to be from something erupting upwards, not a sink hole.
I know there was an EQ in August of 2011 in that area, I'm looking for the data to post here...,

ETA: Ok found this one...In Dagestan Sept. 2011 it includes coordinates, can anyone here find it on google maps to see how close to the hole it is?

Main /
Dagestan /
Society

An earthquake measuring 4 shakes southern Dagestan
Naida Hamavova 2 September, 2011 13:08

Makhachkala, September 2, 2011. This night, September, 2, at 00:41 the townsmen of Makhachkala, Derbent and Tabasaransky district residents felt strong tremors. As to the press-service of the republican branch of Emergency Ministry RF, the earthquake measured 4 points by the Richter scale.

The coordinates of the epicenter are 42.00 degrees of northern latitude and 48.15 degrees of east longitude. No victims www.riadagestan.com...

Des

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This was the most impressive one I've seen:

A building disappeared.

Hi-res pic:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Why lower him? Just treat him like a midget and give him a toss.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Considering the heavy amounts of oil and gas in that part of the world, perhaps this is from taking the stuff out of the ground somewhere close or even further afield.....also are there any mines or other undrground things in the area?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It doesn't look all that different from Floridian sinkholes to me. No really, take your pick:
www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch &ei=pX0bT5mhJNOUtwetq-G0Cw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CC8Q_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=457

As far as sinkholes go globally, some are sharply defined, some of very gently sloped, sometimes there's a little debris kicked back on the rim. Sometimes it's sudden, sometimes it's a slow progression, sometimes it's almost silent, sometimes it's noisy. They don't always collapse exactly the same. But they're still just sinkholes. I apologize if I'm not fazed by this, it's a dime a dozen down here.
edit on 1/21/2012 by Nyiah because: link issue

Edit: Text link wasn't working. If the bare link still doesn't work, search "Florida sinkhole" in Google Images.
edit on 1/21/2012 by Nyiah because: faulty link

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
yup its a sink hole ..nothing more ...smaller than 2010 Guatemala sink hole..now that's a hole for sure

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by itscocobaby
Wow..I was just listening to an old Art Bell stream yesterday and his guest was Mel Waters of the famous story of Mel's hole in Ellensburg WA...such a trippy story..not sure Mel was telling the truth..but very entertaining..I wonder if the plants and such just kept on growing on the sides of the hole?..since the dirt was still intact..and no way would I let my kids stand that close to that gaping giant..good find SnF Cheers Coco

hahaha, I know the "Mel's hole" story well. Though he claimed that his hole(s) were already pre-made with metal barriers around them. Remember how the sheep had the seal creature in it after they pulled it back out of the hole?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Upon seeing the evidence, only one word comes to mind.... Tremors.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Perhaps this is the result of a US peace bombing mission?

Dagestan is in the Axis of Evil after having met the most important criteria.

stan. We Americans hate everything named stan. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iranistan, Stan Marsh, Stanley Kubrick - and Dagestan too...

Its a terrorist state...here is proof

We have to kill our enemies wherever they are. Thats why I don't care about NDAA - with President Gingrich you won't have to worry about detainment - if you support any stan any where in the world - the United States of Patriot Americans will kill you where you stand - I mean where you verticalate...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join