It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do two computers on different outlits both go at the same time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hmm, that is an odd one.
Perhaps the 24-pin power connector isn't seated right.

If you had a power surge on an unprotected computer (ie: powerbar), then you could have fried something. Hopefully not the PSU or Motherboard.

And viruses would not keep your computer from posting.
At least none that i've heard of unless you got your computer nuked. But still, that should still let you post -at least- =P.

If you want to get in touch with some more computer geeks, check our www.overclock.net, they could help you answer your questions as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Fixed it, bought a new surge outlit thingy, and it started back up. Just weird how affected both computers at the same time.

Be back in a bit, transferring over to my gaming machine.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Everything else is on, the monitors but both computers shut off at the same time. I was finally able to get the crappy computer work, but my gaming machine still won't turn on. And, I have tried fk everything. So, annoying. All my dang homework is on there. AGH.....Both shut off about 8:30 in morning.

Simple... a short power outage or some kind of power surge/variation.. I had the same thing happen to me this morning as well with power going out for just one second which was enough to shutdown my computers.
What happens when you try to turn on gaming machine now anyways? Have you tried disconnecting power cable for a minute or so before reconnecting it? If it was a very short power outage it might have triggered some protection in the power supply or even damaged it.
edit on 21-1-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Fixed it, bought a new surge outlit thingy, and it started back up. Just weird how affected both computers at the same time.

Be back in a bit, transferring over to my gaming machine.

The power bar died? Lawl.
That's simple. Good thing you had surge protection!
I have double surge protection for my gaming rig, the powerbar and the powersupply itself (most will fry themselves before shutting off, as soon as mine spikes in the least it powers down, its never done it yet though)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

It's working now. I'm back on the gaming computer. I can get to my homework now.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Both of the computers though are on different surge protectors. They each have there own. Which is why I was confused how they both would go out at the same time. Unless, I had a power outage for a short bit. Just weird, never had that happen before.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Both of the computers though are on different surge protectors. They each have there own. Which is why I was confused how they both would go out at the same time. Unless, I had a power outage for a short bit. Just weird, never had that happen before.

If you had a nasty surge then i could see both of them going.
Some powerbars are just cheaply build and die (ive had a few die on me, they were cheapo ones though).

Then i bought a nice one and it hasnt died

I would have been puzzled too man, perhaps the surge flipped the other surge protector, but didnt kill it. The one on your older computer still worked right?
Frying one is more likely, seems like thats what happened.

What kind of gaming hardware do you have? :3

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Phenom II Quad core beast. With loads of memory. Over a terabyte.
Processor Type: AMD Phenom ll
Brand: -- Processor Speed (per Core): 3.2 GHz
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Processor Configuration: Quad Core
Primary Drive: DVD-ROM Memory (RAM): 4 GB
Bundled Items: -- Hard Drive Capacity: 750 GB

Plus, I added extras memory, bought a 500w power supply, And terabyte drive. It's not an Alienware bad boy, but it's my bad boy.
I'm thinking about buying another one and letting my sister use this one.

Only thing that stinks, is that this guy has supposedly said he sent me not once, but twice, another copy, of the Ultimate 7 Pro and Office 2010. I have seen nothing come into my mail, to fix that issue.

That's the only issue I'm having, so far, with this new computer. But, when I get my tuition check, I'm going pay for the student version. of WIn 7 and fking Office. So ticked off about that.

And after the surge, I was ready to rip him a new one because the computer was dead again. I was like, gosh darn, my emachine has never died this many times. lol Shouldn't have to keep fixing the dang thing.

I just won't be buying the new one from the same guy. Totally irked about that issue.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
if it was a high surge, it would have fried both.Not sure about American standards, but the surge arrestors for 220V lines, normally have 270V MOV's in, so they trigger at 270V. Maybe just look on your surge protectors to see if it has fuses in it. If it was a huge surge, the MOV's can completely short out for the duration of the surge, and pop the fuse (or some has a resettable circuit breaker). Next time, see if you can get a surge arrestor with a LED-status indicator on it, then you can see at once if it is functional. Second, most of them use MOV's for protection, and if it gets surges (not large enough to blow the MOV), slowly the MOV's will deteriorate, and eventually they will offer no protection at all. I have surge protectors that warn me after a certain number of surges, and then I know to replace them (or replace the MOV's) in any case.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
grrrrrrrr ... double post....
edit on 21/1/2012 by Hellhound604 because: double post.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Hmm, the LED on the surges were working and were on, The new one I just bought for the gaming system is 1050 surge protector. So, hopefully, I should be good now. It claims it's the best. lol

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yep I got the same problem. A US built Dell laptop has now been fried. I am not computer literate and so I will be going to a computer guy.
Windows won't even load in safe mode, just keeps on turning off and I had Norton anti virus. Was even on a surge protected plug socke/extension lead.
Thought it was a conspiracy, as I have had problems in other areas. Now I believe it is the black sun giving off cosmic flares causing surges??? and radio interference.

Boo Hoo I lost my PC, my music, my files, my crochet Emags and my ebooks and yes I should have backed up but I don't know how to, on the one my hubby bought me and he's always too busy to help.

I borrowed my hubby's spare and the same thing tried to happen on that, on a different surge extension lead, pulled the internet cable out (won't have WIFI) and Windows loaded alright. The next three nights windows was upgrading something. Odd eh?.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Once a surge protector does its job it may be damaged in a way that you can not tell.

Might be wise to discard any surge protectors that were plugged in unless you can verify they are still ok.

Especially the cheap ones.

For the homework machine you might consider a uninteruptable power supply (UPS). It would allow for a soft shutdown and allow you to save your work.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
must be on the same electrical circuit

top topics

<< 1   >>

join