It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox - why am I getting pc calls?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
hi only happens with firefox. Not sure if I want to keep using it because of the video calls? weird stuff.

How the heck did that happen? I am not on skype or fb or twitter so why is this happening?

Google chrome is annoying too, now I have a gmail account too and it logs me into everything when I don't want to be logged in.

and bloody itunes...it has invaded my music library. Maybe I need to uninstall a lot of programs.

how is it a person can call my pc when I am online??? esp when I haven't set anything up like that.

I have msn for my mail but that is it... and only have two contacts on it cos I just chat to my kids so wtf is going on?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Have you tried to answer the call?

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the call window?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

yep next time it happens, I will take a screen shot and posted it up.

oh and I don't answer it... no way! I got no idea what it is, who it is and why it is happening...

edit on 21/1/2012 by Thurisaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Go to the menu bar and select Tools --> Addons(or hit ctrl+shift+a) and disable anything that doesn't make sense to you or tell us what is in there and maybe we can tell you what to disable. There are a lot of call addons for firefox.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

thx I am looking into that now...

ok what about the plugins? I have about 2 pages of them so not sure... I need Adobe for work so bit worried to remove some of them.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

You say you just got Gmail ? I think by default it also sets up something called Google talk, basically a voice chat plugin, I know I was asked about it ages ago by my google settings, and said nooo..

So if anyone has your gmail email address, they might be trying to voice chat with you, but since you say you only just set it up, or just got it, it doesn't seem likely youd know them.

www.google.com...

Log out of your gmail account and just use google as normal, and see if it still happens? Or alternatively, some new software you have installed may have had an additional feature (to help maintain their free access, some software will install 3rd party software which can install plugins into firefox) and it may be that?

As mentioned, go to Tools/Addons in firefox and see if there are any listed addons referring to voice chat?

I hate the way google and firefox are getting more and more intrusive into everything, you have to opt out for most things, and even then, you're still just a cog in their money making schemes... adsense, personalised advertising targetting you, 'anonymous feedback about sites you visit' etc..

and complain at all to google, you lose your entire account, youtube, gmail, google account etc...

good thing I sent my self carious invites so I can still get by.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by Epirus

thx I am looking into that now...

ok what about the plugins? I have about 2 pages of them so not sure... I need Adobe for work so bit worried to remove some of them.

You can just disable ones you are not sure about, and if you lose functionality that you need, simply re-enable it.

But since you know adobe is something you need, you wont want to disable that. Just ones you've never heard of, or check their description to see if it's related to voice chat.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

it could be google chrome because I just logged out when I didn't even know I was logged in!!

I have removed, disabled addons babylon is still there and bing omg... it is so carp that you buy products and get heaps of xtras you don't want.

anyone ever heard of babylon dictionary?

and it is saying 'change my location' omg I am not in NY farout

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

there should be a website in the information box about the babylon addon, but is it this?

www.babylon.com...

Sounds like some other software may have installed it, as I find this on their Mozilla addon page:

@Noiro - Agree completely. I was familiar with Babylon, so I installed it as a Firefox add-on. Next time I went to my desktop, there sat its shortcut! It had never even asked for permission to install itself on my system. I have no use for that type of software or developer.

So they obviously dont care how it gets to you, just just want it to get to you.

Bing is anther one, they just steal screen real estate with their search bars... Microsoft to blame for that one... and as usual, no question of how, just accept it!

I absolutely loved Firefox Mozilla prior to the addition of Bing. My favorite search engine is Google. Google search does everything Bing, AND gives additional results, (usually the one I am looking for and Bing did not find). PROBLEM: When I use the primary search bar in the middle of the page with Google set as my search engine, BING becomes the search engine. BING SUCKS!!!! The way Bing is written in to the Firefox program, I have to believe the good reviews here are from a Bing automated system to build credibility. If I can not remove Bing from Mozilla Firefox, I may have to change.

And iirc bing is hard to remove

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

and it is saying 'change my location' omg I am not in NY farout

If you used wireless, then google would most likely automatically locate you.

You can ignore that feature, unless you want google to know where you are ! It's mostly for tablets and smart phones, for those sleek people who think it's cool but do not understand that it's basically a tracking feature!

Well, that and google location... GPS style use of google maps... pointless on a home pc!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
If i were you just to be safe, stick a sticker or something over the camera, as sometimes, the camera can be on without you knowing, and someone could be on the other end.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I just rebooted and the toolbars have gone !

even the little box that would tell me if I had a video call, so that is good.

now I am off to sort out itunes. It is causing issues with MY music.
i think it might be trying to 'own' my music. sheesh

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

yep that is the program. it is gone now though!! I really hate sneaky things like that :G

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Youve "accepted" automatic enabling of some of this stuff when you agreed to the add-ons and plug-ins. Get rid of everything, and start over. S-L-O-W-L-Y.

And you have 2 PAGES of plug ins etc? I dont have even 1 PLUG in...let alone pages of them. Lots of stuff hidden in there and can come on and off anytime.

Good luck. Oh...and try not to leave your computer on for days and days. Shut it down and let it get rid of all the temp registries it creates every time you hit the net.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
thanks to everyone who has helped!

I am making progress.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LazloFarnsworth

oh and that could be an issue as well, I rely on format factory to change the format of all my music and vids so I can watch them on my TV and it takes ages so I have been leaving my pc on for that.

usually I turn it off.

edit on 21/1/2012 by Thurisaz because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The best way it was explained to me...(simply at best)...is its like the comptr opens a door to every visit and every place...and holds it for you incase you want to visit again...a cookie...registry...whatever. Shutting down lets the comptr remove the current "screen doors".

Cookies and temp files etc, you have to remove manually.

Try this too: The next time your comptr is taking a while between page loading...sign off, turn it off, and start it up again. everything will be moving faster. Thats because as I understand it....you "closed and removed" the last session. All this is basic....and Im no pro.....but...it cant hurt!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazloFarnsworth

The best way it was explained to me...(simply at best)...is its like the comptr opens a door to every visit and every place...and holds it for you incase you want to visit again...a cookie...registry...whatever. Shutting down lets the comptr remove the current "screen doors".

Cookies and temp files etc, you have to remove manually.

Try this too: The next time your comptr is taking a while between page loading...sign off, turn it off, and start it up again. everything will be moving faster. Thats because as I understand it....you "closed and removed" the last session. All this is basic....and Im no pro.....but...it cant hurt!

It's spelled computer not comptr. Lmao.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
If i were you just to be safe, stick a sticker or something over the camera, as sometimes, the camera can be on without you knowing, and someone could be on the other end.

Paranoid much? That's a bit extreme. Might want to take that tin foil hat off your head, I think it's cutting the circulation off to your brain.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

it was an abb-rie-vi-ation of it...now Im LMAO!!!!

smpl 2 undrstnd I thaug t

edit on 22-1-2012 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join