It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar storm tomorrow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just watching cnn and heard about incoming cme for saturday around 5 est.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Link Please!

Second Line

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Here's some Solar Info on it.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Faux news has to say this about it....

Fox news reports solar flare

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Thanks..for saving me

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
nothing but auroras and downed communication in China, nothing to worry about until 6-8 months from now and on, when we hit the solar maximum and start the have some X1's leveed our way..

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Was posted when the flare occurred.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

A very slight angle of the earth's axis causes such a change in our seasons... Its frightening to think about what happens when the sun starts shooting at us as well.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Just to clarify, briefly- the 'class' of the flare (C,M,X) does not have much to do with the size of the coronal mass ejection (CME-wiki). The coronal mass ejection is the important part- this is what causes the auroras and causes geomagnetic disruption.

I highly doubt this is going to be a very significant event, but it is one of the larger earth-directed CMEs that I have seen, and many factors will dictate the level and results of the impact. That being said, this is the same phenomena that took out telegraphs and shocked operators around the world in 1859 (Carrington Event).

As you should be anyhow, if you're here on ATS, it is wise to be prepared for power outages, "just in case". Again, I'm not trying to rile up interest and fear, but this is the kind of event that could really sneak up on us.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Spiral0ut because: me fail english? that's umpossible

edit on 20-1-2012 by Spiral0ut because: link fix

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
r we gonna die?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
r we gonna die?

Most likely not. But no one really knows what that big ole' explosion in the middle of the solar system has in store. At most this will probably just cause auroras and maybe some power outages.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiral0ut

What would happen to airplanes and air traffic if an event equivalent to a Carrington event occurred?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by Spiral0ut

What would happen to airplanes and air traffic if an event equivalent to a Carrington event occurred?

I also second this inquiry. Can some of the more scientifically capable ATSers help us out here?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
they would fall out of the sky

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by leawyoming

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
my son's a pilot!!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

If we had any kind of early warning system (which I'm sure we do) I'm sure they would keep the planes down...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
reply to post by yourmaker

A very slight angle of the earth's axis causes such a change in our seasons... Its frightening to think about what happens when the sun starts shooting at us as well.

I wouldn't worry too much, we have a Solar maximum every 11 years. The risk to us has only increased due to our great dependence on electricity and communications satellites.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It's only an M class, not really much to worry about yet thought. May cause a quake, but the moon is only a quarter. Good find. I check this site a few times a day. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
r we gonna die?

NO

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

If we had any kind of early warning system (which I'm sure we do) I'm sure they would keep the planes down...

yea I second that if there was a big enough threat all flights would be grounded

top topics

<<   2 >>

join