It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did these things as a kid (but my kids won't)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Melting down lead diving weights and pouring them in a coffee can of ice water to make pretty lead trees.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Go carts. We made go carts and raced them at the neighbor armory

Babysitters, forget about it!

And listening to comedy on the record player.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

A fag (short for faggot) is a stick of wood for the fire place..Fag..burn up another stick

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
some things i remember:

leave the house early in the morning and not come back until it got dark.

my parents use to hand me $10 to go buy them a carton of cigarettes. i'd come back with the carton and change.

klick-klacks... two acrylic balls connected by a string. you would hold the string in the center and clack them together.

a top.

bb gun wars

evel knevel on abc's wide world of sports

one time i got a functioning cigarette lighter from one of those gumball machines.

making fire from the snap caps of a cap gun. (wrap a roll with bath tissue, hit with hammer, enjoy)

ahhhh to go back and live those days just one more time.....

-subfab

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
ha! good post!
remember when a vcr cost $700! when i was young,my dad would send me to the store for his cigarettes!

i remember my family's first digital clock,and watching it so i could see the time change

i used to go out to play at 8 am, and actually stay out side until dinner. what kid now does that?!

i'm a lucky man,because my children aren't addicted to tv,or video games. they spend alot of time on their bikes,and skateboards. BUT! they do enjoy the computer and texting their friends!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I'm 20 and I did 99% of what was on that list.

Who ever wrote this article is out of touch with reality.

Kids still sled, play outdoors, jump off swings and *67 allows you to hide your caller ID

--------------

My kids will never have to use AOL, dial up internet, vhs, casette tapes, portable cd players though

edit on 1/21/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I tried to explain the concept of a 1950's "party line" on the phone to my nephew the other day. He couldn't believe that you could pick up the phone to use it - just to find someone else already on the line. We learned phone manners - hanging up the phone quickly so as not to eavesdrop on someone else's conversation.

My favorite playtime activity was "jacks" using a golf ball so it bounced higher giving you more time to pick up the jacks. Another favorite: playing marbles and the awesome feeling of winning all the marbles in the neighborhood!
edit on 21-1-2012 by galacticgirl because: added some words

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Britx

I don't have children well I had one, but he was a preemie at time when they didn't do too many wonderous things with preemies, but I hadn't thought of candy cigarettes in years. They were alot of fun and tasted pretty good too. And yeah the prank call was alot of fun, favorite Prince Albert in a can, those of you over 40 will no doubt remember that one.
That was time when goofed off but didn't cause that much trouble, I had my share of bullies but nothing like today! These kids I think are being influenced by those wild, violent video games and the lyrics in some rap and hio hop tunes don't help either. I would've never survived public school today.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

I had a pair of klick klacks nice annoying toy for the adults I'm sure, but they were fun surprised they didn't make it still as an adult would find them annoying, and another thing I hadn't thought of in awhile. I also had a slinky am surprised they are still around, and view finders remember those and early etch a sketch. Does anyone remember a toy where it was in the shape of hook and a wheel went up and down forgot the name of the thing.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Spending a car-journey kneeling on the back seat of the car looking out of the back window.
The elephant-ride at London zoo.
Physically touching Stonehenge.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Why not get serious? Making Molotov Cocktails, gasoline in a bottle with a cloth for a fuse. Building forts and underground clubs in the woods, between the houses and the bay. Climbing into the fruit trees at the Holy Angels Home for Girls, and being chased by the Nuns. Good time to not be a Catholic kid, at least from the area of Parishes. Driving "lot cars" in open fields. "Lot Cars," 40's and early 50's cars you drove around in open fields. So long as you stayed off the road and behind a fence, Police left you alone. Thinking back, a wonder more of us didn't break our silly necks or do serious damage to ourselves. But, it was fun and part of growing up.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Im only 25 and in the last 10 years (maybe a few more) things have changed so much. I like to think i just made it when it comes to having a rough and tumble childhood
Sure beats being a kid today. I'd rather kick the footy than own a stupid Ipod.

Growing up in the 90's was awesome! What happened to all the good cartoons is what i wanna know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join