It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woke up with this on my mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Okay, so I may just be ranting here, but this has been buggin the hell outta me. Maybe I can get a few people's thoughts on the subject.

For people who claim they are atheist, or whatever, and don't have a belief in God, Jesus, or anything, then why do these people still say things like "Oh my God" or "God Damm*t" or anything of the like?

If they believe God doesn't exist, then why use the terms?

And why do they celebrate Christmas?

Apparently they have no recollection of what celebrating Christmas is really about.

Ok I'm done.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Because the majority of people who claim to be atheists are actually not . They are angry because of some event in their lives- "where was God when...". True atheists are rare.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My thoughts are that it is purely conditioning over generations where saying things like "oh my God" is everywhere from music to movies to posters, etc. Those phrases are pounded into our head until they mean nothing. For example, if someone told you they loved you every 5 minutes of every day it would still mean something, but would would it mean as much as the "I love you" that comes from someone who never gives them out? Know what I mean?

And in this sense I don't think it matters if your atheist or religious, everyone seems to say this. In our modern world, phrases like God damn it, or Jesus! are simply behaviors that have been learned, but I don't believe an Atheist is actually addressing God, nor are most people.
edit on 18-1-2012 by Lapislazuli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Because the majority of people who claim to be atheists are actually not . They are angry because of some event in their lives- "where was God when...". True atheists are rare.

if there is at least 1 true atheist, that means God has not shown himself to everyone in whatever way he shows himself, so there is reason to doubt the existence of God..

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

I did not say that true atheists do not exist. I believe they do but are in fact rare. I think there are far more atheists in name, for whatever reason. Just as there are far more Christians in name than true Christians.

Pinning the blame on God for not showing Himself may be a bit off. How do you explain people who have had a revelation of Him? Maybe it is the person that is not receptive of God.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

if there is at least 1 true atheist, that means God has not shown himself to everyone in whatever way he shows himself, so there is reason to doubt the existence of God..

So you, a mere human, think that you can make the rules of engagement.
Aint that a bit silly?
God wants love and is all about giving choices, not testing, a widely spread misunderstanding.
Being here is a learning experience.
One I prefer to go through myself without being a member of any church, any believe system.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kermitker

Apparently they have no recollection of what celebrating Christmas is really about.

Christianity hijacked Christmas from pagan rituals. It isn't even their holiday! Why shouldn't a non-believer celebrate Christmas? Its a retail holiday that excludes no one.

Also, are you addressing non-believers of certain religious tenets and definitions of THE god, or only those who are actually atheists, that don't "believe" in a supreme being.

I believe in god, but not in a supreme being, looking down on me from heaven, nope. What, no Easter ham for me?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Curious about this "god" that you believe in. What is his/her story? How has he/she revealed him/herself to you? Is this solely a personal deity for you? Or can everyone have a relationship with this god? Or does this god even desire a relationship with us? Also for the atheistic minded- can you prove this god you believe in exists?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This God I believe in exists and shows it everyday. When I look outside I see God, When I breathe, I feel God, When I look at my husband and kids, I see God again. When I pray, I speak to God. I do not attend church, because I lost faith in church. But I do believe there is a God and I do believe he is with us everyday of our lives. Its a shame you haven't found him yet.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kermitker

I could be wrong, but your post seems to be answering my questions directed to another poster. If I am misunderstanding, I apologize. If I am not, I assure you I have found this God and my life is dedicated to serving Him.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

I apologize, I thought the questions were directed at me.
I must pay more attention.

Thank You for your posts.

God Bless you!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reply to post by windword

Curious about this "god" that you believe in. What is his/her story? How has he/she revealed him/herself to you? Is this solely a personal deity for you? Or can everyone have a relationship with this god? Or does this god even desire a relationship with us? Also for the atheistic minded- can you prove this god you believe in exists?

No, my "god" doesn't have desire or any other emotion. That is a human thing. My god is more mathemtical and is too huge to step foot upon a planet. My god encompasses all that was, is and will be in addition to all that never was, is, or isn't to be. God's body is the entirety of everything, its mind, pure logic. its spirit, random chaos.

Once, while astro-traveling I met a man. I asked him his name. He recited a name so long, it would be impossible to write. It was a name that included all of his accomplishments. He was not god. My god has no story.

The only relationship that I have with god is reflected in my being alive. I believe that we are part of this god. How one choses to form a relationship with a personal god is just that, personal.

I can't prove that my god exists, but I can prove that certain qualities do.

Can I partake of Easter ham now?
edit on 18-1-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

They say those things as more accepted public swears. Would you really wanna hear the F word constantly otherwise?

Also Christmas is about being with friends, family and loved ones and atheists and religious people alike celebrate that unless they're a Jehovah's Witness, Jew or Muslim.

Are you suggesting that those things should be part of an exclusive Christians Only club instead of allowing everyone to say and celebrate those things?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by Kermitker

Christianity hijacked Christmas from pagan rituals. It isn't even their holiday!

Indeed the argument could be used that christians should not be celebrating Jesus' birthday and resurrection on the pagen solstice feasts. Since the Christian and pagen holidays were melded together I don't think it's really fair to expect pagens to just stop celebrating those age old traditions. It was theirs first so be grateful they were nice enough to share it.

edit on 18-1-2012 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Grow up. Just because someone is an atheist should they then be excluded from participating along with everyone esle? Isn't that discrimination? Do I have to be christian to enjoy xmas with my family? Do I have to be religeous to enjoy the community of my local church? Don't be so narrow minded... life just isn't that simple and people have many differing motivations for doing what they do.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

For people who claim they are atheist, or whatever, and don't have a belief in God, Jesus, or anything, then why do these people still say things like "Oh my God" or "God Damm*t" or anything of the like?

Common parlance from many years of usage. I personally like to say, "Oh my Gods," or "Oh my Goddess," which brings funny looks from those who hear you.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Are you an Atheist, friend? Do you know a Real Atheist on a personal level? I do, and have. I find my Atheist friends to be very well educated on many things, and they know a lot more about the Bible than any Christian preacher. But then most real Wiccans also know more, and are better educated in biblical lore and history....see a trend here?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Are you an Atheist, friend? Do you know a Real Atheist on a personal level? I do, and have. I find my Atheist friends to be very well educated on many things, and they know a lot more about the Bible than any Christian preacher. But then most real Wiccans also know more, and are better educated in biblical lore and history....see a trend here?

I am not an atheist. I do know a few real atheists on a personal level and several atheists in name only as well. I never called anyone's intelligence in to question. I do not think that atheists are unintelligent, quite the contrary, I believe some true atheists are among the most intelligent people alive and probably do have a broader knowledge of the Bible than most Christians. That being said, my knowledge of the Bible causes me to be of the opinion that they are fools. For, in my Bible it says that " The fool has said in his heart that there is no God".
So, in short, yes I do see a trend here.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I didn't mean to offend anyone, it was just a cpl questions. I personally do know atheists in fact about 7.
That is mostly the reason why I post this.

I have respect for your non belief in God, but I'm not going to listen to why I shouldn't believe in what I do.

I don't expect you non believers to listen to why you should believe either.

top topics

join