It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ottawa plans measured response to alleged spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Ottawa plans measured response to alleged spying

news.sympatico.ctv.ca

Sub.-Lt. Jeffrey Paul Delisle is facing two charges under Canada's Security of Information Act, and sources told Fife that Russia was the nation involved.

While federal officials could launch a complaint with the Russian ambassador or expel diplomats stationed here, Fife said Ottawa isn't interested in a "tit-for-tat" expulsion battle with Moscow.

"I'm told this will be kept very low-key," Fife reported Tuesday.

"We don't want to poison relations with the Russians, because the prime minister is going to Russia in the fall for an APEC meeting."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
m.ctv.ca

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

This probably isn't that big of a deal on the grand scheme of things but the Canadian government has a habit of downplaying this type of incident. I won't claim to have any special insight into this situation but I believe it's politically motivated.

We have known about this person for years but we let him carry on until January 13th of this year. This "sting" was uncovered as Harper voices his intentions about Iran, and as Russia claims an attack on Iran is an attack on Russia.

I can't help but question everything my current government does, especially with the lies and propaganda coming out of Ottawa over the last few years.

I have a few theories, and yes, I'm willing to consider the OS on this one, it's just that this seems to be very fishy. If this news is true, I wonder what kind of information he was passing along to the Ruskies. I hope he didn't expose the secret that Canadian bacon doesn't exist (We call it ham).

news.sympatico.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: Video

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I hope he didn't expose the secret that Canadian bacon doesn't exist (We call it ham).

I thought it was peameal bacon?

RE: The Russians. There is a long history of spying on both sides. Not sure if it is even much of a shock to people that are responsible for these kinds of things.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You're certainly correct.

"Allies" have a long history of spying on eachother so this news isn't very surprising. I just find the timing of this bust to be very peculiar. Perhaps my distrust for my current government is causing me to have an over active imagination.

The news our leaders put out about these spy rings is often untruthful.

BTW, if you ask for Canadian bacon on your pizza, you will receive little round pieces of Ham. Americans still can't grasp the concept no matter how hard they try

edit on 18-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thanks for the post ...I am assuming you have watched the latest interview with our fearful leader ...There is a post on the boards as to Iran and the threat is not about the Bomb but about the Money Bomb and loss of profits from nuclear production of products ...It might even tie into the whole Chalk River incident and Harpers govt involvement in that strange mess ..TPTB always try and scare us into looking at the threat of the bomb and taking our eyes off of following the money ...peace

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I prefer bacon crumble on my pizza. I'm not even sure what it is, but it tastes good.

The best story I read regarding spying in Canada was a tell-all by a former agent of the Communications Security Establishment officer, Mike Frost. (Spyworld)

Link

It opened my eyes to all the stuff that went on during the early days of Canadian Intelligence. (If taken at face value)

The most interesting of course, was the operations carried out against Britain because their own agencies didn;t want to spy on their own....

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I haven't yet had the chance to connect any dots, especially about Chalk River, so I thank you for mentioning this. In my opinion this is way too complicated to be anything close to what the RCMP and media are admitting so far. It's not good to speculate too much, so I will look into a few things specially Chalk River before I start sharing my wild conspiracy theories.

Thanks again,

Peace.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thanks for the link. I'm heading home in a few minutes so I will watch then comment later on.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
here is the link to the other thread on Iran ... peace www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Here is a development in the story:

Ottawa expelled Russians after spy allegations

m.ctv.ca...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Sources say that the information could include sensitive data on underwater dead zones, which would allow Russian submarines to penetrate sensitive areas, in addition to information about navy ship movements in the Arctic and the Middle East.

Weapons system information may also have been leaked, sources said.

"But the real worry is the nightmare scenario," said Fife. "Did he have access to classified information, classified as beyond secret?"

That could include international communication signals from Canadian and American spies working in secret locations abroad.

"If he had access to that information, sources say this would be a goldmine for the Russians," Fife said.

So I guess now they have to backtrack through all of the data the Canadian had access to and see what possible leaks could have been released by him?

But I suppose the already did that the minute this was uncovered. Or they knew it was going on while it happened.

The public will never get a straight answer, and the spy agencies continue to play high school politics. "I'm not a spy, I'm a diplomat."

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You're right, we will probably never find out the "truth". These spy sagas are usually very complicated and us simple folk are not in the need to know crowd. I'm hoping that this is nothing to worry about and that it's something our gov is using to create a media circus. Harper has been very anti Russia and Iran Iately, I think they are trying to soften up the Canadian sheep for military action since we're not as easy to convince as the Americans.

Here is another Canadian story from the old days that might interest you. It's new to me since I never heard about it until this morning.

Canadian actor's father was Britain's first double agent

m.ctv.ca...
edit on 20-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

That's one of those stories that is made for Hollywood.

The Brits turning their double crossers into double agents was a good ploy. The alternative, of just jailing the person, doesn't do anything for the effort.

I wonder if Canada considered this during the latest episode?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Now that you mention it, it's very possible they considered using the "double cross" method. My theory is that the Canadian gov is using this situation as a PR stunt. My theory is based in the limited details we have so I'm not committed to this idea and I'm certainly keeping an open mind as this story develops. It's tough to come to any decent conclusions when both sides are known to be compulsive liars.

It sure would make a good movie though

new topics

top topics

join