It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Wiki is down....how come I just got into it....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Today is the day it's down right, the 18th. That's my understanding. I just punched in the site and it came up. Typed in a few search articles, they came up. What gives? Is it not today?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It refreshes to a page and asks for your zip code, to contact your nearest representative.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
That's what I thought also and like you I checked and its working fine. I read an article about it and it shows the screen they are using for the occasion with something like " what if there is no more free information" well you get the jist of it lol

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
You've probably got noscript running, the blackout is done through _javascript.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by repressed

Ah...that's probably correct...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

If you're in the US it is down. Try refreshing your page and see what happens.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Only the English Wiki is down. Not the international ones:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Only the english one is blocked if I'm not mistaking. But I'm guessing you use that one.
I noticed that my noscrip plugin of FireFox blocked out the black banner on the dutch wikipedia.
It didn't show up until I allowed some of the sites. I do think I managed to get into the english one before I allowed those sites.
Maybe that could be a reason?

Edit:
I should write shorter replies
edit on 18/1/12 by LanceDH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

This is from their website.

Is it still possible to access Wikipedia in any way? Yes. During the blackout, Wikipedia is accessible on mobile devices and smart phones. You can also view Wikipedia normally by disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page. Our purpose here isn't to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it's okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message.

en.wikipedia.org...:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
It refreshes to a page and asks for your zip code, to contact your nearest representative.

Now why would wikipedia want your zip code when they could just use a simple list? *COLLUSION*

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I got into it earlier, then it came on all screen later. Check out Uncyclopedia, the wikipedia satire site. It has a great template, better than wikipedia's imnho, satirizing wikipedias.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

When you enter the ZIP it gives you the info to your local reps/senators sites so you can send them a message.

top topics

join