It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sicily, Italy - supermarket shelves empty/cost of food rockets.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by dr treg

what utter twaddle [ no insult to the OP ]

but to quote the source he cites :

the cost of delivering food to the south of Italy now exceeds the cost of the food itself.

is the most assanine statement i have heard so far today [ despite 3 hours on ATS
]

in any rational ecconomy - the price of any retail item =

the intrinsic costs of materials , processing & logistics

unless indirect subsidy is applied - no other pricing structure is feasible

Wrong. The price of a product is dictated by what the market will pay for that product. what you only illustrating is the cost to bring a product to market. I can use your formula for the above and get a price but then I wont make a profit.

Also, I can use your formula above and nobody will buy my products at what ever price is put on it.

Kinda that whole supply and demand thing. I would agree the article still doesn't really make sense for me, how is the cost of transportation for a full truck of food not equal more then the price you would fetch for it if the shelves are bare... I could see if workers wages had hyper inflated but then the prices of everything else would also.

In that situation the price of the food would be insane because demand is high and supply is now short.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think our learned friend has a lesson to learn about the meaning of the word "price".

"Economic theory asserts that in a free market economy the market price reflects interaction between supply and demand." Sorry to be so assanine (sic) Ignorant ape.

en.wikipedia.org...

<< 1   >>

join