It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sicily, Italy - supermarket shelves empty/cost of food rockets.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
It looks as though the cost of delivering food to the south of Italy now exceeds the cost of the food itself. The Sicilian truck-drivers have blockaded several ports. Supermarket shelves are emptying.

“We cannot have a situation where a product costs €1 and the price to transport it €1.20. Once the transportation costs surpass the actual cost of the product, the system breaks down. I can’t continue like this. I have a family to feed,” Paolo Caltanivetta said from his truck, which was blocking the exit from the port of Pozzallo."
www.timesofmalta.com...

"(AGI) Palermo - "The protest will continue until Friday. The mobilization is growing and now involves farmers and fishermen in addition to the teamsters. We did not expect so many to join, but their organization was spontaneous". The leader of the protesting teamsters AIAS, Giuseppe Richichi continued saying that the movement now counts on the farmers of the Movimento dei Forconi and the fishermen of several districts.
Long queues are forming at the gas stations and the supermarkets start to show empty shelves. . ."
www.agi.it...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Here we go then...

And I can't say I'm surprised, here In U.K food prices are honestly a joke.
Really how long until people riot because they are hungry?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zakka

Great thread. Reminds me of the story at Christmas that Norway had a butter shortage and as a result prices went up ridiculously high. Someone suggested at the time for the US to just airlift a load of tons of butter in. Why hasn't the Italian government just used the military to fly provisions in?!? Why is Sicily reliant on external products? Do they not farm anymore there?!? I understand the truckers protest, cost of lorry haulage is just untenable wih the cost of fuel and road taxes. Can it be solved ? I suspect not.

Another isolated incident, but how many more will we end up seeing this year?!?!?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

what utter twaddle [ no insult to the OP ]

but to quote the source he cites :

the cost of delivering food to the south of Italy now exceeds the cost of the food itself.

is the most assanine statement i have heard so far today [ despite 3 hours on ATS
]

in any rational ecconomy - the price of any retail item =

the intrinsic costs of materials , processing & logistics

unless indirect subsidy is applied - no other pricing structure is feasible

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by dr treg

what utter twaddle [ no insult to the OP ]

but to quote the source he cites :

the cost of delivering food to the south of Italy now exceeds the cost of the food itself.

is the most assanine statement i have heard so far today [ despite 3 hours on ATS
]

in any rational ecconomy - the price of any retail item =

the intrinsic costs of materials , processing & logistics

unless indirect subsidy is applied - no other pricing structure is feasible

I have a friend back in England who used to work in senior management for Tesco. Every day the cost of chickens was monitored and, if need be, the sale price was lowered to be just a penny cheaper than their competitors. At the time we had the conversation Tesco were selling chickens at a loss.

Chickens are just one example as Tesco price check on everything they sell with the sole aim to be cheaper than their competitors whether it means a loss, or not. For a long time, all Tesco profits have come from their overseas establishments and not from within the UK.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

thanks for agreeing with me
- your tesco example is a clear case of indirect subsify

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

Same reason they (supermarkets generally) sell the petrol cheaper cheaper than competitors - they do not mind making a loss on fuel if it entices people into their stores.

I bloody hate supermarkets! Apart from what they do to producers, the strip lighting kills my eyes and is reason enough to rarely venture inside them.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Didn't somebody make the point that a revolution will start when food is no longer obtainable by the general public? Is that what is happening in Sicily? Maybe we should call Tony Soprano.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I used to go to Sicily every year in the Navy reserve. I went 8 times, 1996 to 2005, skipped one or two years.

Sicily is very rustic. They grow blood oranges. They had one big market like a wal-mart but mostly very small places to shop. Chita Mercado I think. Something like that.

Driving around I was struck by the number of large abandoned buildings there. Factories, warehouses, hospitals, all abandoned, falling down.

There was an empty McDonalds building on base. They told me they could not stay in business because Italian law required them to continue to pay people who had worked there but no longer worked there.

The people will buy just enough fuel for the day for cars and trucks. They buy gas every morning and then the stations close early.

They have a siesta time (nap time) when all the businesses close for 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon and then stay open late.

They mostly eat fresh food. No one brings home leftovers (doggie bad) from a restaurant, ever. Except the Americans that eat at the Paradise.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
One world order on the way???

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Here we have a country of descent people in need of help, but they are getting ignored because they cant give us oil in return.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hyperinflation anyone? Remember Wiemar republic, Zimbabwe? Not only this, look at what the IMF is doing to control the inflation lol:

One trillion to Britain

Britain is facing a new £17.5billion bill for propping up the Eurozone. The International Monetary Fund this morning revealed it wants to boost its own bailout fund to $1trillion - even though the single currency countries have done nothing to boost their own fund. Chancellor George Osborne has already indicated that he is prepared to use British taxpayers cash to boost the IMF’s resources.

All this money pumped into Britain, and some of it will surely go into the italian economy
edit on 18-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

please read your own souce - and actually understand it

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4
One world order on the way???

This is getting pretty bad.

Honestly though. we do need a new world order. a one world religion. and a one worlds government that is run by the people, in the interests of all of planet earth. Those things alone would solve almost all issues. It will be possible when the one true religion is rediscovered (methinks).

Or we continue to let them bankrupt the planet for their own agendas. And then let them finish their plans that started a long, long time ago. The old world order has gotten us here. Look where we are today as a species..

If Europe goes, Then everyone else will fall like dominoes. No one economy can keep itself afloat if they're all intertwined and reliant on each other.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
With the rising costs of insurance, electricity, oil (and in Australia, the carbon tax comes in to affect 1st July), expect everything to double in price almost over night.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What do you expect when they put former central bankers in charge of both Italy and Greece?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Oh, you will be getting your one world government and religion alright. That is sealed in biblical prophecy. The interesting thing is that it will be satan's (soon to follow by the arrival of the Lord Jesus Christ, who will once and for all clean up the world of its freemasonic/jesuit/luciferian mess).

Believe on Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Today may be your last day.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DissentFromDayOne
reply to post by AzureSky

Oh, you will be getting your one world government and religion alright. That is sealed in biblical prophecy. The interesting thing is that it will be satan's (soon to follow by the arrival of the Lord Jesus Christ, who will once and for all clean up the world of its freemasonic/jesuit/luciferian mess).

Believe on Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Today may be your last day.

Ok, that was WAY off topic, but whatever. Unless your blaming all this on GOD, then I guess it's on topic.

This is a bad thing, the only way we can really fight this is to push for more local foods or GROW YOUR OWN FOODs. Why pay more for the local stuff? So those people will still be around to provide food when the same thing happens here... or... pay less for your Walmart poison as you pray away your guilt of not supporting your community so those small famers and local growers go out of buisness, and then we can line up to either pay $1000\loaf of bread or starve.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I am Italian and I came to know this on above top secret because there was little news on Italian tv about the situation.
I heard a interview, there is a movement of protesters in Sicily called " Movimento dei Forconi " .
The area is now without fuel and there are huge lines of cars searching for fuel charge.
Also there are people telling us " We are hungry ".

Italy is on the way to go down. Watch this. The tir ( vehicle ) strike next week will start in the WHOLE Italy.

Next week there will be a 7 days long strike of transports in Sardegna.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Zagari because: (no reason given)

Italian word for sheeple is much used here while people are talking.
Even from common people, old women and such.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Zagari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Every major street in Sicily is closed for people are marching. Tv doesn't say anything for fear of further protests in Italy. Such a shame.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join