It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate warming would cause loss of life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

A global temperature rise of two degrees by 2050 would result in increased loss of life, a new Australian study has found.

"A two-degree increase in temperature in Brisbane between now and 2050 would result in an extra 381 years of life lost per year in Brisbane,"

"A four-degree increase in temperature would result in an extra 3242 years of life lost per year in Brisbane."

It is believed that of the temperature were to increase, so would the live's lost, especially in the younger generation. Considering this is an Australian study and Australia is bringing in a Carbon Tax, to put a tax on Carbon, does ATS believe this to be fact or just propaganda to scare the public? Have your say below

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

But they dont say why? I call bull. Two Degrees is going to kill people, i find that very hard to beleive :-/

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
How exactly is this death rate increase explained? I mean, what is the mechanism?? I seem to be missing something here.

You know..I went back and read it again. It isn't the a lack of info for the thread, it's a lack of reason apparently being given at all. They really seem to be suggesting that AIR temperature changes will kill people, as they babble about insulation ratings for homes to protect against exposure.

How do morons like this ever reach positions of responsibility or authority??? They probably hid under the bed and cried in fear with solar eclipses as children too...given this level of critical thinking.

edit on 17-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah, i don't really understand either
That's why in my opinion it appears to be propaganda. I feel that they didn't go in to to much depth when i really think they should have.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Global warming...Pffffttt.....Here's a thought...

110 years ago or so....How was the GLOBAL temperature taken....Who calculated the average, who made the predictions. We did not have the proper technology to do it right. Aside from farmers and their almanacs there was nothing.

So to base out calculation on a 100 year span is completely ridiculous, we don't have the proper data...An please...don't give me the ice core theory....Even that is flawed

So what if the Earth is heating up...Why is this such a problem....We've been through ice ages and high heat periods since the start of time on this planet....We are not going to change that and we are not the sole cause of the changes either...So please leave the global warming fear mongering somewhere else.....

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

It may sound harsh but so what? Every major natural change will cause some loss of life. Instead, other creatures will suddenly thrive more, such is the way of nature. Humans always want to keep everything the same but that is not how it works. It is called adaptation and often new animals will emerge through genetic mutations who will be able to live whatever the environment is like, whilst others will die miserably. There is no law [fortunately] to tell nature what to do and what not to do, it just is and things will change accordingly.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britx

But they dont say why? I call bull. Two Degrees is going to kill people, i find that very hard to beleive :-/

Was just going to type that very same thing. I mean, if the average temp in Brisbane was in the 40's (degrees C) then this may make more sense.

As a "scientific" report it certainly raises more questions than it provides answers to.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I guess they need some nice "expert" opinions to back up the soon to be introduced Carbon Tax down under. (July 2012 apparently)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a 2 degree rise in temperature would affect the enviroment / ecosystem but i cant see it making much if any affect on humans as our bodies regulate temperature.

surely the effect on the enviroment / ecosystem would impact humans rather than the temperature itself
edit on 17-1-2012 by just1cornell0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2012 by just1cornell0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2012 by just1cornell0 because: wont write what i want it to!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i cant see how it will cause loss of life around 2050 but 2 degrees will screw up our planet.
warmer water means faster melting of ice shelves, faster melting means increasing temperatures because ice being white reflects alot of heat.
when you mention global warming, you usually get everyone who denies global warming exists (i call ignorant) posting bs.
anywhoo i cant see it rising 2*C in 48 yrs as it has only risen about 0.7*C in last 100 yrs. but melting ice allows faster increase in temperatures so who knows.

heres what i think, Global warming does exist but is not our fault and not something we can fix.
edit on 17/1/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There's something odd happening in our solar system and on our planet.
But i doubt it's caused by CO2, perhaps other gasses and such, but the excuse of CO2 doesn't make sense when those particular atoms hover above tree level(Hence the important of trees in CO2 cleaning). Not in the atmosphere
edit on 17/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
"rasberry sound" !!
The earth has been warming up since the Ice age, or we wouldn't have an ice age to talk about. It would still be cold, and we would be talking about the warm age. We may be helping it, but I think its mostly a natural warming progression.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Every day species go extinct and every day we discover 1000's of new ones. Is this based on global warming, is it based on natural selection, human consumption and growth or maybe part of some screwed up natural plan that we have no idea about and keep guessing at.

We are tics compared to the universe, who here can honestly say that we are the ones causing climate change, we are the ones responsible for the extinction of species with a straight face. Heck we might be the cause of millions of NEW species ....what do we know ???!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

edit on 17-1-2012 by just1cornell0 because: made no sense

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
Global warming...Pffffttt.....Here's a thought...

110 years ago or so....How was the GLOBAL temperature taken....Who calculated the average, who made the predictions. We did not have the proper technology to do it right. Aside from farmers and their almanacs there was nothing.

So to base out calculation on a 100 year span is completely ridiculous, we don't have the proper data...An please...don't give me the ice core theory....Even that is flawed

So what if the Earth is heating up...Why is this such a problem....We've been through ice ages and high heat periods since the start of time on this planet....We are not going to change that and we are not the sole cause of the changes either...So please leave the global warming fear mongering somewhere else.....

Yes, here on Earth we are ALWAYS heading the next ice age.

When the next ice age comes and goes, we will be heading for the next one.

The typical interglacial period lasts about 12,000 years.

We are due for another ice age in about 1,500 years.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

This might not be a wrong prediction, but to give the precise number of exactly 381 extra deaths is a reckless statement. In hot summers people who overexert themselves are more endangered to suffer a cardiosvascular event like a heart attack, heat stroke or stroke.

A cardiovascular event is also the main cause of death for tourists. People tend to overexert themselves in their holidays. Untrained, they hike longer than they should or engage in other unfamiliar physical excercises. Some people have to suffer death as a consequence. This danger exceeds the hazard of tropical diseases, murderers, accidents and exotic animals.

While a warmer summer could increase the mortality rate in some regions like Australia, it should also be a benefit in other regions of the world. The area which could be used for agriculture would extend towards the Poles and winters could be expected to be less harsh in some regions of the world. This could for example reduce the number of Russians freezing to death in winter. Nowadays hundreds die each year, because they cannot afford heating or pass out drunk on the streets.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Drunkenshrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

That's a good point, but take it one step further:

How does increasing your taxes do anything to prevent a possible future warmer climate?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

That's a good point, but take it one step further:

How does increasing your taxes do anything to prevent a possible future warmer climate?

I agree with both of the above, they are screwing us here left and right.
By (Us) I mean a very good chunk of the Globe, and piss me off they are getting away with it.
Interesting thread and a S&F
Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

join