It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island Proposes Resolution Barring Indefinite Detention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Rep Daniel P. Gordon jr. has drafted a resolution , which is circulating amongst collegues to express opposition to the sections of the NDAA “that suspend habeas corpus and civil liberties.” Specifically sections 1021 and 1022.

Source

“Given the fact that the constitutions of Rhode Island and that of the United States are replete with guarantees of individual liberties, right to habeas corpus, and right to freedom of speech, the offending sections of that law are repugnant to the sensibilities of anyone that has a basic understanding of the foundation of this country,” he said.

This is a very important precedent being taken by Rhode Island, and hopefully all States will follow suite. There is a SCOTUS decision in Ex-parte Milligan which highlight's the Constitution and habeas corpus being upheld by States to fend off detainment of citizens, and military tribunals. It is important for States to do this to protect their citizens.

Source

The Supreme Court decided that the suspension of habeas corpus was lawful, but military tribunals did not apply to citizens in states that had upheld the authority of the Constitution and where civilian courts were still operating. In essence, the Court ruled that military tribunals could not try civilians in areas where civil courts were open, even when the military had been authorized to detain individuals without trial.

edit on 15-1-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Hit the wrong button while working on the post...sorry..be done in a bit.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Okeedokee...it's done now.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I to hope others follow suit. Wether you believe in the "Terrorist Threat" as it has been feed to us are not, once you loose a liberty it becomes much harder to get it back. If we give up all we have earned, then we are already lost.
edit on 15-1-2012 by David134 because: bad spelling

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by David134
I to hope others follow suit. Wether you believe in the "Terrorist Threat" as it has been feed to us are not, once you loose a liberty it becomes much harder to get it back. If we give up all we have earned, then we are already lost.
edit on 15-1-2012 by David134 because: bad spelling

Well said. This constant undermining of the Constitution is in itself terroristic, and it has to be stopped. I saw something the other day where Obama was again pontificating about the Constitution being outmoded (I don't remember the exact words without looking it up). As a Constitutional scholar, he should know better than most that the principles espoused there are distinctly non-temporal. We are born to those liberties; they are not given to us by government, and are not to be trifled with by government. That was the founding fathers' whole point, for God's sake.

Well, with any luck and enough time we'll be able to swing it back. I just hope it doesn't come to bloodshed. Although, if it does, I hope I draw Monsanto and/or RIAA-MPAA duty.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Adding video...NDAA and Rhode Island.

Related material

abovetopsecret.com
edit on 16-1-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A true patriot

top topics

join