It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group hopes dormant Ore. volcano will generate energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Geothermal energy developers plan to pump 24 million gallons of water into the side of a dormant volcano in Central Oregon this summer to demonstrate new technology they hope will give a boost to a green energy sector that has yet to live up to its promise.
They hope the water comes back to the surface fast enough and hot enough to create cheap, clean electricity that isn't dependent on sunny skies or stiff breezes — without shaking the earth and rattling the nerves of nearby residents.
Renewable energy has been held back by cheap natural gas, weak demand for power and waning political concern over global warming. Efforts to use the earth's heat to generate power, known as geothermal energy, have been further hampered by technical problems and worries that tapping it can cause earthquakes.

Full URL
www.kgw.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The4thLegacy

My father runs a company in or. that uses no fossil fuels for energy. Instead they ise hydroelectric, geotherm, and wind+solar combos. This is a farcry from the world stats which are estimated up to 80% of energy is obtained from various fossil fuels.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I love the idea of geothermal and I hold high hopes for it in the long run but I wonder..... Can they find better places to experiment than a dormant Volcano in the Pacific Ring of Fire at a period of history where the ring seems to be waking up?

I'd hate to see them generate all the energy of the world at once....like an eruption to a suddenly active Volcano. They have more confidence in their skill than I do....

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
What has this to do with chemtrails or geoengineering - do you think it is connected because geoenginering and geothermal start with the same syllable??

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

For the record, it seems to me the generation of energy fits quite well in this forum:

From wiki:

The concept of geoengineering (or climate engineering, climate remediation, and climate intervention refers to the deliberate large-scale engineering and manipulation of the planetary environment to combat or counteract anthropogenic changes in atmospheric chemistry

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

That's not actually the definition from that page tho - the definition is:

Geoengineering is the idea of applying planetary engineering to Earth. Geoengineering would involve the deliberate modification of Earth's environment on a large scale "to suit human needs and promote habitability".[18] Typically, the term is used to describe proposals to counter the effects of human-induced climate change. However, others define it more narrowly as nature-integrated engineering projects.[19] The term geoengineering is distinct from environmental damage and accidental anthropogenic climate change, which are side-effects of human activity, rather than an intended consequence. The global extraction of hydrocarbons from the sub-surface using integrated geoscience and engineering technology has been termed 'petroleum geoengineering' as an activity with global impact.[20] Definitions of the term are not universally accepted.[21] Oxford Dictionaries define geoengineering as "the deliberate large-scale manipulation of an environmental process that affects the earth’s climate, in an attempt to counteract the effects of global warming."

Geothermal power may help reduce the emissions of GHG's, but it is not something that will "counter the effects of human-induced climate change" - at best, if all our power came from Geothermal, it would leave human induced climate change exactly as it is right now (whatever that may be).

So sorry - but I think you are mistaken.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

That's not actually the definition from that page tho - the definition is:

Geoengineering is the idea of applying planetary engineering to Earth. Geoengineering would involve the deliberate modification of Earth's environment on a large scale "to suit human needs and promote habitability".[18] Typically, the term is used to describe proposals to counter the effects of human-induced climate change. However, others define it more narrowly as nature-integrated engineering projects.[19] The term geoengineering is distinct from environmental damage and accidental anthropogenic climate change, which are side-effects of human activity, rather than an intended consequence. The global extraction of hydrocarbons from the sub-surface using integrated geoscience and engineering technology has been termed 'petroleum geoengineering' as an activity with global impact.[20] Definitions of the term are not universally accepted.[21] Oxford Dictionaries define geoengineering as "the deliberate large-scale manipulation of an environmental process that affects the earth’s climate, in an attempt to counteract the effects of global warming."

Geothermal power may help reduce the emissions of GHG's, but it is not something that will "counter the effects of human-induced climate change" - at best, if all our power came from Geothermal, it would leave human induced climate change exactly as it is right now (whatever that may be).

So sorry - but I think you are mistaken.

Sorry Aloysius, you are the one that is wrong.

Typically, the term is used to describe proposals to counter the effects of human-induced climate change. However, others define it more narrowly as nature-integrated engineering projects.[19]

This is clearly a nature-integrated engineering project. A full reversal of any human induced climate change will require an alternate form of energy. When my kitten had worms I treated him, it didn't work. I treated him again, it didn't work. It wasn't until the fleas were fully killed (the fleas are actually responsible for this type of worm) that the treatments were effective, Part of the treatment of killing the worms had to be the source, the fleas. The same is true for climate change, any "treatment" that will be effective will consist of a remedy for the cause of climate change to begin with.
edit on 23-1-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join