It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY - Any plumbers in the house?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hmm, ok, I bought all the dang parts to fix my stupid sink but the one part that is giving me a hard time coming off is the BLACK round thing that connects to the pipe and the sink part itself. I have tried everything. Twisting it off don't work, twisting it on opposite ways won't work, feels like the stupid thing is glued in there.

Hmm, Am I doing it wrong?

It twists off on the other end where it connects to the other side of the side of the sink.

As soon as that thing comes off, I can fix my sink. and put the new part in.

What tools do I need to twist that pain in the hoo haw off?

Thanks.
edit on 14-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Pics or it didn't happen...

Seriously, pictures would make it much easier to troubleshoot.

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
A trick my father used to use, Dampen a rag, Twist it a little and then wrap it around the bit you want to get off and twist some more, It should give you just enough grip to get it off without damaging anything.

Alternatively, Have you checked for excess plumbers tape hanging out around it?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Ok. I'll try to get picture. Lost my cord to the camera to upload.

Dang kid, always losing my things.

I'm trying to prevent another kid flood before she ruins my kitchen floor. She already ruined my bathroom floor and the tiles that I put down.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I just went through this last month..i had problems too,so don`t feel dumb.were not all plumber`s eh...here`s what i did..You have your main coming up through the floor right.Your sink should have a male end on it.A good tool is a pipe wrench if your working with brass or any other metal.Tight squeeze eh...need more info

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Start from the bottom of the sink...there is a seal there...i could guide you if i was there...show some pics..i love helping.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Pipe Picture

Bathroom Damage-Going to be fun to fix that.
Man I put all that tile down myself. What a waste. That's just a section of the damage. Whole floor has to be replaced.

I'll be back after 10, Have to go to work soon. Hopefully, she won't flood my kitchen by then.
Joy joy.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

The part in the photo is just a normal compression fitting i should undo without to much force ,if it feels like its stuck it could be someone has sealed it with a silicone sealant to prevent a leak you might have to replace a little more than anticipated

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by penfold

Bah. I definitely need to get that part out before I can go any further.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I dont know how to describe it but you could try to unscrew the whole thing from to sink.
Look into your sink, there must be a screw in the middle of the sinkhole, if you unscrew it you can disconnect the whole sink from the pipe. Maybe this gives you more room to work.

Is it a sink with a automatic sinkhole plug? Those ones with the lever for closing the hole? Then this method wont work for you :-/

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Okie doke, I'll try that screw thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I guess I am not understanding...are you trying to repair this?

Or this?

A pipe wrench is usually sufficient for the lower picture...and a screw driver and a hammer for the first.

I don't understand what you trying to do though!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Ah, pipe wrench, Just tried that, but it's being stubborn.

That's what I need to do.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Sometimes heating it up with a blow dryer really well helps loosen the joint...not always...but sometimes.

A quick pop to the pipe wrench sometimes will break it loose...use caution though...it is plastic and will break if you get too western with it!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It's the construction plastic. Real study.

Oh, my goodness, think I need the incredible hulk to turn that thing.

Just tried with the pipe wrench and it still won't budge.

Going to kick my dad's butt, He's the only one who installed the sink. So it had to be him and making it tight as heck.

Soon as I get that dang thing off, I'll be good to go.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Heat the fitting up with a blow dryer...to the point where you can't hardly touch it!

The heat expands the fitting and loosens it way from the threads...it will be much easier to loosen if you heat the piss out of it first.

It takes some time and patience...but it will give you a fighting chance at getting it unscrewed.

And remember...righty tighty...lefty loosey...make sure your turning it counter clockwise!

There is always this trick too...slip a cheater pipe over the handle of the pipe wrench to give you more leverage!

edit on 14-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I don't think that cheater bar will fit under her sink mate. I have however tried working on sinks and had trouble, only to realize that I was going in the wrong direction a few times. I'll spare the MODS the time and not repeat the string of expletives that I muttered to myself.

I HATE working on plumbing.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoagy1199
reply to post by jerryznv

I don't think that cheater bar will fit under her sink mate. I have however tried working on sinks and had trouble, only to realize that I was going in the wrong direction a few times. I'll spare the MODS the time and not repeat the string of expletives that I muttered to myself.

I HATE working on plumbing.

Your right...a cheater pipe would have to be considerably small to fit under the sink...if you work from the opening of the cupboard though...a 1/4 turn might be enough to loosen it to the point where the rest could be done without a cheater pipe!

I'm not to fond of plumbing myself...but I have done a ton of it for sure...I think heat is the key here...loosen up the fitting and some of the glue/tape that has got it bound up!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Good thing you told me to go clockwise. I probably would of went the other way.

Ok. going to go try the hair blower trick. Let you know what happens.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Good thing you told me to go clockwise. I probably would of went the other way.

Ok. going to go try the hair blower trick. Let you know what happens.

No...counter clockwise...not clockwise!

Counter clockwise!

Lefty...loosey...turn to the left!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join