It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread Closed vs Merged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Question...

Many time I will see a topic and start posting when it is discovered that there is a duplicate thread already going. So that thread gets closed despite there being many really good posts in it that will now just fall off the page because you rarely see someone make the same point in the other thread.

Now I have seen many forum software sets where one can simply merge the two thread.

So I am wondering why threads cannot be merged here?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I like it. But if it turned out to be too (something) could there be a notification on the thread that is being linked to, that another thread is linked into it so we can pick up the posts by following the link back?

(If you can make sense of that sentence, you're goooood!)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I would like merged if its possible.

I agree all the posts are valuable - - and sometimes I go back and forth between the 2 threads - - on a point being made.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Agreed.......seeing as I am a serial duplicate poster.......must use search function, must use search function, must use search function, must use search function, must use search function, must use search function !!!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Question...

Many time I will see a topic and start posting when it is discovered that there is a duplicate thread already going. So that thread gets closed despite there being many really good posts in it that will now just fall off the page because you rarely see someone make the same point in the other thread.

Now I have seen many forum software sets where one can simply merge the two thread.

So I am wondering why threads cannot be merged here?

I have been thinking along the same lines. Not with just repeats but with two threads both with good posts this is a good idea

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Putting It All Together

The only reason I know of for not merging them is that the board software doesn't support it.

For whatever it's worth, I know all too well how frustrating it is to put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into a post only to have the thread closed for being a duplicate. It can lead to elevated heart rate, premature hair loss, keyboard damage and a foul mood.

If we had a way to merge duplicate threads instead of closing them, I would strongly prefer doing that.

Alas, that option isn't available to us now, but perhaps in an "ATS 2012" software update someday?

Lettuce prey.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Based on a board I moderate that originates from the same source, I'm confident it does support merge operations. The only real roadblock would be gradual destruction of the feature by successive modifications that make it now untenable.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

And you get the gold star.

It used to be possible and was done, long ago. But with over 13 million posts in almost 784000 threads, that would mean placing some huge faith in the database to hold it all together. The fact it all holds together now is in no small part the result of SkepticOverlord's mad coding skills, some sort of techno-magic and I am sure a few goat sacrifices along the way.

Heck there used to be a time when posts could be deleted, just outright gone without a replacement banner such as the Off Topic or the dreaded "sorry, double post".

Could this feature return? Maybe, but I freely admit that I don't have the mind to code the database for it without returning errors and I used to make character generators with pull down menus in FileMaker 3, geek that I was it was for D&D 3rd edition. I was asked to join CodeMonkey on their work, but I hate working in Microsoft Access.

top topics

join