It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Advice For My Problem?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I live in Scotland, which is a tiny country obviously, and the town I live in is Fort William, also tiny.

I moved here to be with my partner of 2 years, but since i've been here, i've only had one job, and since I left it, there have been literally NO other decents jobs, and if there are any, it's always the jobs that involve University Degrees and/or experience in being a Manager. Therefore, I never get these jobs, as I don't have a degree or any managerial experience.

I need to make some dig money until a job i am qualified to do comes along, so this thread is basically this one question:

Have any of you got any advice on making alternative sources of money (other than Google Adsense, that isn't enough to pay rent). Anything, literally anything, that will give me SOMETHING to allow some sort of income, even if the income has to be built up over the space of a month. Things that work, and don't take too much time.

I have looked on Google for advice, but it's usually "Make money with your blog" ... but I have no idea how that works or how to generate traffic to make the money.

Any ideas will do

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A few ideas you might try:

Amazon's Mechanical Turk, which is a website where people list tasks they need done (from transcribing an audio recording, to participating in studies at Universaties.) These tasks can pay from $20/task down to a few cents. Typically, the more money, the more time needed. I wouldn't recommend this as a primary source of income, but it can help supplement.

Selling unwanted goods (cds, movies, clothes, etc)

Become an independent contractor. (basically, if you have a specific skill set, you can sell yourselves to companies who are only looking for help on a certain task, and they will pay you to complete this task. You will not be an employee, but it is possible to make a living this way.)

Sperm donation is always a possibility

I don't know if Scotland has any kind of Coinstar machine, but you could try that.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Daemonicon because: spelling

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

i have no idea of " money making schemes "

but there should be job ops in the fort william area :

the paper mill

forrestry

hostelry [ bar / resuraunt / hotel work ] - my be higly seasonal

the diving industry - no i am not suggesting being a diver [ as the training costs money you dont have ] but there are supporting jobs

fishing industry - as crew on someones boat [ shell fish / lobsters etc ]

those are just off top of my head

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i don't know if you have anything like craigslist but, there are a lot of ways to make money.

if u have a car or truck you can post an add offering help moving things or give people rides around town for cash.

have a lawn mower? buy one.. it will pay for itself

same goes for a snow shovel

aluminum and copper will get you cash as well, and it's everywhere!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Hey man, sorry about your luck, its pretty much the same no matter where you live, big or small. I was running into the same problems and i live in a fairly large city here in Canada.

Blogging is okay, but you had said you didn't really like Google Adwords, and thats pretty much the only way you can make money (unless you come up with about a million followers tonight and have large companies willing to advertise)

If your interested in writing, id suggest googling some freelance writing sites. Basically you bid on work. Ive done it a few times and it made a bit of money and its not just writing, there are some computer programming jobs, photography, editing ect. Just don't do any that cost you, cause its most likely a scam.

Good luck man, and ill link a few sites to you if i get time.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Don't be afraid to take a lower paying job. Managers didn't start out being managers. They worked themselves up by starting out learning the business. Ultimately you need to learn a marketable skill that is something you like.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Don't be afraid to take a lower paying job. Managers didn't start out being managers. They worked themselves up by starting out learning the business. Ultimately you need to learn a marketable skill that is something you like.

The only lower-paid jobs nowadays in this town are jobs in larger supermarkets, Tesco, Morrisons and other such places as WHSmith and Bookers, and I sure as hell ain't supporting large organisations such as those and helping them make money.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by domasio

A mate of mine is like you, clever ,but lives out in the middle of nowhere. now he teaches ESOL online to Korean kids and earns a decent wage. check that out until your degree begins.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
reply to post by domasio

A mate of mine is like you, clever ,but lives out in the middle of nowhere. now he teaches ESOL online to Korean kids and earns a decent wage. check that out until your degree begins.

I'll take that as a compliment, i'm assuming you calle me clever also?

I;ve never been calle that, chuffed to bits now
Most people just call me far too opinionated

Thanks for that, i'll be having a look into that !

top topics

join