It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we sure Mitt Romney is eligible to be President?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This is so funny! Especially after all the Obama birth certificate thing... I wonder if the GOP will go after Romney for this?
Nah! He's white and rich! And "electable" (supposedly) ...

What a crazy, hypocritical world we live in!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
He's white and rich! And "electable" (supposedly) ...

Well ... RICH anyways. Looks like he's Mexican and as for 'electable'..... dunno ....

From the title -

Are we sure Mitt Romney is eligible to be President

NOPE. Not sure at all. Have him AND EVER ONE ELSE RUNNING prove their eligibility to the people of the United States. Not just some elected officials from their own party who supposedly 'verify' .. I'm talking about to the people themselves.

edit on 1/14/2012 by FlyersFan because: added 'from the title'

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
need a little help on this...

is there not a European leader....maybe 'banking' or 'politics' or something ... who has a Sur name
very similar to the American 'Romney

now that would be eerie... here in the 2012...the CT'ers end of calender year with
Two Romans... or Roman derived names ...having much Authority in the free world community of nations,

i.e. 'the west'

What's his Name ?
~thanks~

hey, got it before any of youse:

EU President Herman Van Rompuy

Rom-puy
Rom-ney

the AntiCrist and the FailsProphet associated with a revived roman empire

eerie huh
edit on 14-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
That might explain why he is so un-American in just about everything he does.

I say the northern states need to look in to his eligibility. The south will just give him the benefit of the doubt.

Well now.

And I know you can name 8 out of 10 at least ?

That might be ""just about everything ""

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcupobob
I thought... I thought Mitt was white? Like really white. I guess ridiculous rich corrupt people come in all shapes and colors.

Anyways I'm not really versed on any of this birther stuff but can't wait to see what becomes of this.
edit on 1/13/2012 by Mcupobob because: My ex was a Mormon-mexican-American Concidence? I think not!!!

Does that mean Mexicans are not white ?

What if they are 100% Spanish (Spain) descent ?

Will Mitt soon announce he is "An Angry White Man" ?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
Maybe I can get a job with Mitts campaign, im good with photoshop, I'm sure I could do a better job on his BC than whoever did obamas.

So to clarify, it's written that a natural born citizen equals both parents being born in the usa,.I always thought it was simply the person had to be born here.. What if his mother was artificially impregnated, and the father was unknown, or not a citizen, would that count?

I thought of that, because it seems even if a unlikely variable exists, people on the losing end of the argument say even though it's unlikely, it could happen, thus unfair and nullified.

There are plenty of photoshopped examples right here within ATS threads.

Take your pick and let 'er rip !

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If Mitt Romney's father came here illegally from Mexico but Mitt Romney has a valid American birth certificate ... wouldn't that possibly make Mitt Romney an anchor baby??

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Let's be fair here to Mitt......

At least he only has one name !!

"Anchor baby" is a pejorative term for a child born in the United States to immigrant parents, who, as an American citizen, can later facilitate immigration for relatives.[1][2] The term is generally used as a derogatory reference to the supposed role of the child who automatically qualifies as an American citizen and can later act as a sponsor for other family members[2][3] The term is often used in the context of the debate over illegal immigration to the United States, but is used for the child of any immigrant.[1] The practical immigration benefit of having a child born in the US is disputed; family reunification (family-based immigration) in the United States is a lengthy process and limited by law to categories prescribed by provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.[4]

Anchor baby

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
we all know his views on immigration, someone should ask him about his views on anchor babies.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
So to clarify, it's written that a natural born citizen equals both parents being born in the usa,.

No, that's not written anywhere except birther blogs. There are only two ways to be classified as a citizen, either by birth on US soil or by naturalization. Only citizens born on us soil are eligible to be president

I have to wonder how many wives Mitt's father had and if there is some problem hidden there though. Would his birth be recognized if the marriage wasn't recognized? It was a felony (still is I think) to have multiple wives.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
"Only citizens born on us soil are eligible to be president"

This is not always going to be true, at least to me it isn't.
McCain for example wasn't born in the US border but was his parents were US citizens, and he was a US citizen himself from the start. I dont see anything in the wording of Natural Born Citizen leading me to believe you 100% have to be born within our borders. Especially when your father is ordered to be somewhere else by the US government.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

"So to clarify, it's written that a natural born citizen equals both parents being born in the usa"

Back to the Romney issue, as I pointed out in my last post, "A debate comes when looking into the definition of natural born citizen. Also, could our founding fathers have meant something different with the words "natural born citizen" then our understanding of the words today?"

A few people including myself have posted the exact wording from the constitution so I wont bother to post it again

Where does it say anything along the lines of " a person with two parents who are US citizens"

It never mentions anything like that. To me, a person born in the United States of America as a US citizen from birth is without doubt a natural born citizen.

I would like to see Mitt get taken out of the race as much as anything in the world so don't think I'm approaching this with a bias. If anything I approached this hoping Mitt would be in eligible to run.

If we take a step back and look at our information, he is almost surely a natural born citizen IMO.

*Another thought would be to dig a little (or a lot) deeper and se if he really was born in Michigan. If he were born elsewhere (outside of the US) and brought in then of course he would be ineligible

edit on 14-1-2012 by Mindcrime30 because: breaks in page

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
need a little help on this...

is there not a European leader....maybe 'banking' or 'politics' or something ... who has a Sur name
very similar to the American 'Romney

now that would be eerie... here in the 2012...the CT'ers end of calender year with
Two Romans... or Roman derived names ...having much Authority in the free world community of nations,

i.e. 'the west'

What's his Name ?
~thanks~

hey, got it before any of youse:

EU President Herman Van Rompuy

Rom-puy
Rom-ney

the AntiCrist and the FailsProphet associated with a revived roman empire

eerie huh

I knew there was something else...

there is a term...which is 'ROM'... it is used by Gypsies to identify themselves...a person, a self, is called a 'rom'

Rom A person of Gypsy heritage
and 2) specifically married Gypsy man (a married Gypsy woman is a romni).

Names for a Rom in other languages include Cigan Cigany Zigeuner ...

westwood.fortunecity.com...

now then... let's dig up just where "Romney" got the family name
also where Rom-puy got their last name from

were they Gypsies in a long ago era?--> www.goodmagic.com...
( a pretty good rundown on gypsy history from a number of clans all over the world)

now, you, here on ATS decide...is Mitt Romney qualified to be President?
or does his family tree disqualify him as a 'Rom'... and a general 'sleaze bag'
edit on 14-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

that would be a legal nightmare for think, Obama is not by right, and US law, the POTUS.That would mean for the last3 years the US has not had true leader ship, er POTUS, all laws bills and EO's would thus be made null and void.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
[sarcasm]He's White so yes.....[/sarcasm]

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by Indigo5

No where in the constitution does it specify that both parents need to be American citizens in order for a child to be a natural born citizen, unless that child is born abroad (McCain). Romney to my knowledge was born in Detroit Michigan, to a Mother who is a born American citizen, and a father, whom was born in Mexico. There is nothing thus far here, or from previous arguments regarding Obama, where the constitution states both parents needing to be American citizens for US born children to be NBC. Let's also note that Arthur Chester was born of a parent whom was an Irish immigrant and citizen, and this was well known at the time. No challange was sort against his eligibility, and no conclusions were made proving his ineligibility. The Wong kim ark court case should be clear as well on this.

Sorry anit-mitt's, Romney is here to stay.

Correct on all fronts. I am anti-Mitt...I think he would be an absolute tool of a President, willing to take any position that benefits his ambition and wealth. I believe he is without a moral compass.

That said...there is evidence that his father might have been an illegal immigrant at the time of his birth...and a tonnage of fodder for Xenophobic attacks, from his Polyigmist roots to his Mexican origins...

And that said...everything in your post is accurate. Mitt is eligable to run, just as President Obama is.

This thread is a mirror..an opportunity for those that contest President Obama's eligability to test their intellectual honesty via a very similiar scenario with the leading candidate on the other side of the idealogical fence.

While the thread contains a tonnage of evidence and questions as to Romney's origins...in the end he is a product of the American "Melting Pot", just as President Obama is. Good to run, even if I think he would be a very bad President.
edit on 16-1-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This entire thread started with the wrong premise. The Einhorn article, linked in the first message, claimed that the Supreme Court decision of Minor v. Happersett decided that someone born in the US is a natural-born citizen ONLY if both parents were already US citizens. This is completely wrong - and, by the way, its citation to the Happersett decision was also completely wrong. In the decision in Minor v. Happersett (1875) 88 U.S. (21 Wall.) 162, 22 L.Ed. 627, the Supreme Court said only that the US citizenship of someone born here to parents who were already US citizens was undoubted - and since the case at hand dealt only with that fact situation the Court was not going to discuss any other birth situation.

However, subsequently, the US Supreme Court, in U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark (1898) 169 U.S. 649, 42 L.Ed. 890, 18 S.Ct. 456, held very clearly that a child born in the US to two non-citizen parents (who never became US citizens), was a US citizen by birth. In so doing, the Court relied heavily on an earlier New York case, Lynch v. Clarke (NY Chanc., 1844) 1 Sandf.Chanc. 583, 3 NY Legal Observer 236, 7 NY Chanc.Ann. 443, which dealt with a New York law then on the books to the effect that only a US citizen could inherit NY real estate. In the Lynch case a baby had been born in the US to two British tourists who shortly thereafter returned to Britain with the baby and none of them had been in the US since; the NY Chancery Court held that the child was a natural-born citizen of the US and therefore could inherit the real estate. This case was also cited by the U.S. Attorney General when he held that a child born in the US to alien parents was a native-born citizen of the US even though neither parent ever became a citizen, 9 Op. US Atty-Gen 373 (1862) and 10 Op. US Atty-Gen 328 (1862). Over the decades numerous court decisions have similarly held that a child born in the US is a native-born citizen even if both parents are not citizens.

This principle also applied to eligibility for the office of President, by the precedent of Chester A. Arthur, the 21st President (1881-1885) who was born in Vermont to a mother who was a US citizen and a father who was (and remained) a British subject.

This means that Obama was and is eligible to be a US President. It also applies to Mitt Romney, who was born in the US. Romney's father, George Romney, once a Governor of Michigan - and in 1968 himself a candidate for President - was born in Mexico to two US citizens who were then residing in a Mormon colonia. At the time he ran for President I don't think anyone questioned his eligibility but, even if George Romney was not a native born citizen, he was undoubtedly some sort of US citizen by the time Mitt Romney was born, so there should be no question at all about Mitt Romney eligibility.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Shoonra

Star from me for the legal context and citations.

Yes, both Mitt Romney and President Obama were and are eligable to run for President.

Chester Arthur is not the only relevant example....apart from the obvious George Washington who of course was a child of two British Subjects and technically born on British soil
as were any eligible Americans at the time:

Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) is the only president born of two immigrants, both Irish.
Presidents with one immigrant parent are Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809), whose mother was born in England, James Buchanan (1857-1861) and Chester Arthur (1881-1885), both of whom had Irish fathers,
and Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921) and Herbert Hoover (1929-1933), whose mothers were born respectively in England and Canada.

As far as anyone challenging Mitt's father's eligibility..

Found this in the NY TImes concerning Mitt's Father when he ran in 1968
Celler Suggests G.O.P. Name Group to Investigate Romney's Eligibility
By EARL CALDWELL
May 15, 1967,
Section , Page 27,
[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]

Representative Emanuel Celler expressed "serious doubts" yesterday as to whether Gov George Romney of Michigan is eligible for the Presidency.

select.nytimes.com...

Mitt's father withdrew a couple months later, but any causation would be pure speculation.

As far as Mitt's Parents being US Citizens, there is some confusion as to whether Goerge Romney's father was born in Mexico or the USA, but most records show USA, while some family history says Mexico. If Mexico, the legal question would be does citizenship via Grandchildren? How many generations abroad does citizenship extend to. Lastly, I saw someplace that the laws at the time and possibly now require the US Citizen abroad to have lived in the US in the previous 5 years prior to giving birth in order for citizenship to be transferred and Romney's Grandfather lived decades in Mexico, so Romney's father might not have recieved citizenship at birth even if his father was US Born.

All of that is pure intellectual play on my behalf, because my personal view and understanding is that Mitt Romney was born on US Soil and that is all that is required by the "Natural Born Citizen" definition.

Sidenote: Seeing as you recently joined, I reviewed a few of your posts...Informed and honest, which won't always win you accolades here on ATS, but please know that their are few honest folks about that appreciate it. Stick around. The truth is most neccessary when it is unpopular

edit on 17-1-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Mitt Romney not a natural-born citizen?

Amid ongoing challenges to Barack Obama’s presidential eligibility, some have raised questions about the constitutional status of the leading candidate for the Republican nomination, Gov. Mitt Romney, contending he was born in Mexico or that his father was not an American citizen at the time of his birth.

However, the available evidence shows that even under the strictest interpretation of Article 2, Section 1 of the Constitution, Romney is a natural-born citizen, according to Article 2, Section 1.(if Mitt's father wasn't a citizen at his birth, then this is not true)

Was his father a citizen at the time of his birth? Is anyone running for office unquestionably eligible....anyone?

bold added.

Never dull around these parts. Seems the question continues.

Source

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Well, take a look at Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy Team. He named the following people to his board of advisers:

Dov Zakheim - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Robert Kagan - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Michael Chertoff - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Eliot Cohen - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Eric Edelman - (Israele Dual Citizen)
John Lehman - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Evan Feigenbaum - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Aaron Friedberg - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Kent Lucken - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Kristen Silverberg - (Israelie Dual Ctizen)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I have asked myself this question a number of times. I was actually waiting to see how long it would take before a thread was made on the issue and I am shocked it actually took this long.

It is a very good question and I really am wondering. It is very possible that he is not eligible.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Indigo5

Well, take a look at Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy Team. He named the following people to his board of advisers:

Dov Zakheim - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Robert Kagan - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Michael Chertoff - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Eliot Cohen - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Eric Edelman - (Israele Dual Citizen)
John Lehman - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Evan Feigenbaum - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Aaron Friedberg - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Kent Lucken - (Israelie Dual Citizen)
Kristen Silverberg - (Israelie Dual Ctizen)

Mitt Romney and Netanyahu have been lifelong friends and have a very close relationship.

The relationship between Netanyahu and Romney — nurtured over meals in Boston, New York and Jerusalem; strengthened by a network of mutual friends; and heightened by their conservative ideologies — has resulted in an unusually frank exchange of advice and insights on topics such as politics, economics and the Middle East.

When Romney was the governor of Massachusetts, Netanyahu offered him pointers on how to shrink the size of government. When Netanyahu wanted to encourage pension funds to divest from businesses tied to Iran, Romney counseled him on which U.S. officials to meet with. And when Romney first ran for president, Netanyahu presciently asked him whether he thought Newt Gingrich would jump into the race.

A few weeks ago, on Super Tuesday, Netanyahu delivered a briefing by telephone to Romney about the situation in Iran.

"We can almost speak in shorthand," Romney said in an interview. "We share a common experience and have a perspective and underpinning which is similar."

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

I don't mind politicians having close ties with foriegn leaders, but I do worry about objectivity in this circumstance since they are very, very close and advise eachother on policy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join