It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something goes wrong ? Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Hello everybody !
Ok i have 2 picture to show you :

One from 1999 :

and the second is from 2006 :

It look to me very disturbing, maybe the red color is not lava but just iron rocks iam ok with that but when i look the fault who appeared in 7 years it seems still quite serious, no ?
whats ur opinion please ?!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Am I having Deza Vu

I swear iv read this exact same thread today!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

yep i repost it because i was offtopic

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
yes it looks serious
thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
my automatic assumption based on what information is provided in the images is straight forward.

the ice is melting and has exposed rock out-croppings with high iron content, thus the red coloration.

i live in northern new mexico and there are a number of places within 50 miles of me with similar coloration so to me it seems rather benign.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I was just thinking about the Antarctic and HP Lovecraft... Hmmm coincidence? Well I wouldn't be here if I believed in that. Ha

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

It looks to me like red light from the sunset hitting one side of the rock face.

Could be wrong but it looks like it...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Exactly, and even if it turns out to be volcanic in nature, why would that necessarily be a cause for concern? We already know of active volcanoes in Antarctica. Indeed, it would be far far more surprising if there was no volcanic activity.

Overall, im with you and think it is down to melting ice exposing iron rich rocks.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
my automatic assumption based on what information is provided in the images is straight forward.

the ice is melting and has exposed rock out-croppings with high iron content, thus the red coloration.

i live in northern new mexico and there are a number of places within 50 miles of me with similar coloration so to me it seems rather benign.

I'm with you on this .

Also my first impression was that the rock was exposed by high winds . As for the cracks , there is nothing unusual there either .

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The red is bacteria trapped in the ice that has been exposed to the air, happens all around these regions:

Glacier "Bleeds" Proof of Million-Year-Old Life-Forms

Quote from else where..

"Unlike the sulfur-powered communities present at undersea vents, there's little indication of a hydrogen sulfide metabolism present in the ice at Blood Falls. Instead, it appears that energy is obtained when sulfur is cycled through different oxidation states by reacting it with iron, producing the Fe(II) seen in the brine. The oxidized sulfur is then used to react with carbon compounds, powering the metabolism. All of that is pretty low-energy-the authors suggest that the doubling time for a bacterium in this environment would be roughly 300 days-and requires an external source of Fe(III) to power the system. The authors posit that the glacier itself might provide the source by extracting new iron as it scrapes across the underlying rocks."

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

thank you it could be a good explenation for this red color

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Its not lava i think too, "ignorantape" have noticed there is no steam and i agree with that...
but the occurrence of faults in such a short time seems to me strange and since 2006 has it become worse?
edit on 13-1-2012 by maritimo69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
am i reading right that we are looking at this from 12km high? i wonder how wide that crack is. i wonder if someone with mad math skills could figure that out. seems to me that the crack is pretty darn big.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Or it could simply be this...

EDIT: Good find, StarTraveller. I hadn't refreshed my page and didn't see your post...

edit on 13-1-2012 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

ohh you wanna know what that reminds me of? Ayers Rock or Uluru as its also known.
It changes colour too, sometimes its really red like that.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
so any clue for the fault ?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Wasn't there a thread similar to this several days ago? It showed satellite images from Siberia I believe? And there may have been a picture from south america too, and the pictures showed the same red rock. General consensus was that it was Iron in the rocks. Ill attempt to find the thread.

Edit: www.abovetopsecret.com... Thar we go

edit on 13-1-2012 by mastervolo because: Including link

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mastervolo

Yep that was mine too..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think spacetraveller have a good explanation for what we see in red...
But there is a big fault here since 1999..

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The red is less worrisome to me than the fact that so much ice has melted from Antarctica... all of that water has got to go somewhere.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i just want to know where i can find a picture of this view in 2011 ?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join