It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Newest Snake : Matilda's Horned Viper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I saw an article on this earlier, but it didn't have pictures.
After seeing these pictures, I thought they were too good not to share.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The world's newest snake has menacing-looking yellow and black scales, dull green eyes and two spiky horns. And it's named after a seven-year-old girl.

Matilda's Horned Viper was discovered in a small patch of southwest Tanzania about two years ago and was introduced last month as the world's newest known snake species in an issue of the journal Zootaxa

Only three new vipers have been discovered across Africa the last three decades, making the find rare and important.

The Wildlife Conservation Society is not revealing exactly where the snake lives so that trophy hunters can't hunt it.

Matilda's Horned Viper can grow to 2ft or bigger

This particular animal looks fierce and probably is venomous
(though bush viper bites are not fatal)

That's an awesome snake!!!
edit on 12-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Wow that thing looks evil O_o, cool but still evil looking lol, star and flag for you my friend

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Sad that the location must be kept secret from trophy hunters, what a magnificent looking animal!

S&F for you.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Just what we need a new species of snake . Have you heard about the new species of shark in Australia?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
That is a beautiful snake, I get so excited when they discover new species. Wonder how poisoness it actually is. Nice thread, I gave it a star. Thanks for sharing.
reply to post by isyeye

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

THAT is a really pretty snake.

awesome!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Name fits perfect, i like and its cool

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
wow that is one cool looking snake ...

do you know what this snake reminds me of? it reminds me of a horned dragon from long ago..

but seriously its really cool looking yet kinda gross looking too and im sure its deadly as all of the other vipers ...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Exactly what I was going to say, looks like a dragon, beautiful, beautiful snake, cute AND friendly
. Animals are so amazing. Just think of how much there is yet to discover in the world, remote places that could be home to any number of undiscovered species. As long as humanity has lived on this planet, and as much as we have claimed to have discovered, there is still so much more, that in itself makes life amazing and worth living, every day there is something new, never a dull moment
Its events like these that counteract all the negative bull# spewed by the media every day. It is sorta healing.
edit on 1/13/2012 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: To add

top topics

join