It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even if Ron Paul does not win the nomination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Assuming Ron Paul fails to win the Republican Party Presidential Nomination this should not completely discourage everyone who does support Paul, or some of Paul’s positions. If you recall the party convention process it goes by allotted delegates, if Ron Paul continues to run all the way to the convention picking up delegates in most (or all) states he could have a large number of dedicated delegates awaiting him.

When it comes to convention time Paul will likely have more than 200 delegates upon arrival in Tampa, Florida. In doing so this would make him a person at the convention Romney (assuming he is the party nominee of course) would try to appease or face a backlash which would make the party very weak and possibly cause a brokered convention.

What could Paul win even without winning? He could earn himself a primetime speaking slot at the convention, something the establishment would not want, and not only that but by using his large number of delegates he could force the convention into inserting several of Paul’s most critical ideas within the official party platform, on which the party will have to run.

Some of these very important things could be: elimination of foreign military bases, massive cuts to the military budget, requires the Congress vote before any war with Iran, an audit of the Federal Reserve, etc… It will not even be just one thing, it would likely be several. This would immediately anger the establishment but with Romney just wanting to keep the party together he would fall inline.

This would have immediate results for the intellectual revolution started by the good doctor. A new resurgence of a liberty minded form of Conservatism would arise within the party itself even from just a few new planks being inserted into the platform by Ron Paul’s delegates. Such a thing has happened before such as in 1976 when Jerry Brown secured a primetime speaking slot after losing to Carter, in 1980 delegates of Edward Kennedy were able to insert a jobs plank into the platform over Carter’s objection, and in 1988 Jesse Jackson came in second to Michael Dukakis and was awarded a primetime speaking slot for him and his family.

So, followers of Ron Paul, even if your candidate does lose the nomination to Romney, Santorum, or Gingrich, you can still have your voice heard by inserting Paul’s most critical ideas into the party platform and/or having him speak to the nation on primetime at the convention.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
But how long do we have as a country to wait for these ideas to become common knowledge?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Ron Paul has already won.
Minority Rules

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I would vote for him if he ran third party. I'm very conservative but would love to teach the GOP establishment a lesson.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you. I would also like to teach the GOP establishment a lesson (or replace them entirely) but not at the cost of four more years of Obama.

Call me an hysteric, but I seriously believe that Obama's reelection would be worse for the country than Iran getting nuclear weapons. I much prefer misoir's goals.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you. I would also like to teach the GOP establishment a lesson (or replace them entirely) but not at the cost of four more years of Obama.

Call me an hysteric, but I seriously believe that Obama's reelection would be worse for the country than Iran getting nuclear weapons. I much prefer misoir's goals.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, this is why I can put up with another four years of Obama. Imagine how the redefined GOP would surge into power. Besides the republicans control the house which would limit the damage that could be done.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Obama = Romney

No matter who wins, we lose. Nothing would change, just the face.

It's Paul or nothing for me.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If he loses the Republican nomination he has enough republican, democratic and independent followers to still make a run for it. I am an independent voter and know I have the right to vote for anyone I want to, even if I have to write their name on the ballot. I will likely vote for Ron Paul unless of course Stehpan Colbert runs, then I will have to make listen to what he has to say and make a decision.

Hey if you're got to have a joker or a clown in the white house, you should at least be able to laugh at him.

new topics

top topics

join