It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FB asks for account verification via cell or CC but it's only with one page....History Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I just realized that when I try and comment sometimes on The History Channel's FB page it will prompt me to verify my account with a credit card or my mobile phone number.

It is weird because I have neither

I have only had this happen with The History Channel. I usually just close out the tab and open a new one and it's gone but if I try and comment on that post again it prompts for it. This has happened a few times on this page.

What the heck?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It sounds like a scam to me although I will say I have no facebook account or mobile phone. How would they know your mobile or CC number to verify you that way?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Credit card number? You sure that's really the History Channel FB page and not some PHOONEY!? Seriously, sounds like a scam to me. You know what, stop using FB.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Its surprising? FACEBOOK is latterly CIA book.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

It sounds like a scam to me although I will say I have no facebook account or mobile phone. How would they know your mobile or CC number to verify you that way?

Yea it's weird.

It's only with the History Channel. It's not every post but some. I started noticing the site it happened with because when I would try and repost it was just that post which is always the HC.

I don't have a cell or credit card so it has to be a scam but some people will fall for it and give up that information. I know a few people who have done stupid things on FB or online in general and had accounts hacked, charged and or cleaned out money wise.

Some might think they will lose their FB is they don't do it so they freak and do it, most likely with a cell because more people would give up their cell than a CC.

It just bothers me when people try and take advantage of others.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Credit card number? You sure that's really the History Channel FB page and not some PHOONEY!? Seriously, sounds like a scam to me. You know what, stop using FB.

You can stop using facebook but all your info is still stored - for example we took an account erased everything - friends (individually deleted), posts, pic, etc... Months later signed on with the account all the information was still there - friends, post, pics. You use facebook and your there for life. Friends may not see you and the info after you delete but it's there.
edit on 10-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8

Exactly, look at the hierarchy of the company

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

It's not a phoney. I do know the HC's FB, subscribed via their site.

It probably is a scam and not from HC, probably some dumb criminal trying to get information from guliable people who would think it's valid because it is coming from FB via HC.

I won't stop using FB. It's my choice. I'm not some naive teen I'm an adult and use FB for it's intended purpose, to keep intouch with loved ones and friends, not half the world.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8

Yup I know what FB is about in this aspect.

I know how they want to connect everything, I don't do that. It's annoying and creepy tbh.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I see. Well, it might be worth somehow contacting them informing them of the "problem" but maybe then you get asked for your CC number again.
It might be worth reporting just to get peace of mind though. I'm sure facebook themselves have a contact address or some other way of contacting admins with your query.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Yup I made a second one because I didn't like the timeline feature and couldn't opt out. I had to "deactivate" my account, not delete. It said that to reactivate just to sign back in with your last log in information.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I realized all of that monopoly of information garbage when one day:

I got my phone (Verizon Vortex) "wiped" of any information at Verizon, then when I tried to look at my calender on my phone it FORCED me to give my Google account information to (the calender feature? of) my phone.

I literally was un able to see the calender feature unless I provided my google account information.

I also needed to provide my google account information in order to visit the "app store". no backup assistant or anything until i give up a password (to a completely unrelated website) in the name of "convenience".

it's pretty obvious that all these companies that share each other's member's passwords are really all cooperating only in order to stabilize their own monopoly.

that also makes it pretty sad that so many people are giving their personal account information away so frivolously, given the amount of sensitive info usually connected to these websites. this also makes it that much easier for internet savvy hackers to steal all your info in one swoop.

i'm all for the idea of transparency, but let it be done by my will and not against my will.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

I see. Well, it might be worth somehow contacting them informing them of the "problem" but maybe then you get asked for your CC number again.
It might be worth reporting just to get peace of mind though. I'm sure facebook themselves have a contact address or some other way of contacting admins with your query.

Yea I was wondering the same thing. I know many people would input their cell phones thinking nothing of it.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

I remember that when I had Verizon. I had to make a google account for it. I didn't like it and went back to ATT who I just got rid of.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Can you link the FB page in question?

I don't have FB, but can someone visit the page and see if this is happening to them as well?

It's possible that this isn't the History Channel FB page, but rather some form of malware. Someone else confirming would help quite a bit toward figuring this part out.

Also, and off topic, it IS possible to permanently delete your FB account (I'm living proof!)

You can do that right hurr.
edit on 10-1-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Anyone have any more data about what Facebook is really about?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
History channel page...wonder what other pages do that...
I guess now cc#, like cell phone number and phone confirmation, is the new capcha. See it as leading up to what's going on now. Not working as good as they thought/say? Failed ai? Key logging will also obtain that info and it can be used for people spamming and more so identity theft in the fullest where it will be traced back to you.
edit on 10-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join