It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Doomsday Clock' moved one minute closer to 'midnight'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

'Doomsday Clock' moved one minute closer to 'midnight'

www.suntimes.com

Citing ongoing threats from nuclear proliferation, climate change and the need to find sustainable and safe sources of energy, scientists moved the symbolic “Doomsday Clock” one minute closer to midnight on Tuesday.
The clock was moved from six minutes till midnight to five minutes to midnight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone really puts any validity in this but nonetheless it is interesting. I also find it interesting it was started in 1947 as an older thread on ATS has mentioned. I have a feeling it would never make it to midnight because whatever is going to end the world would just happen on some random day.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Is this good, no, however it takes an aweful lot to make the clock move!!

The closest approach was 2 minutes to midnight in 1953 according to en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
"My father was a watch maker. He abandoned it when Einstein discovered time is relative. I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.".

-Dr. Manhattan

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Does that mean it's almost snack time?

Seriously though, I wonder how much that metaphorical clockhand affects the stockmarket?

Originally posted by Glass
"My father was a watch maker. He abandoned it when Einstein discovered time is relative. I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.".

-Dr. Manhattan

starred.

edit on 10-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I was wondering when there would be a Watchmen Quote

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
Does that mean it's almost snack time?

Seriously though, I wonder how much that metaphorical clockhand affects the stockmarket?

Originally posted by Glass

-Dr. Manhattan

starred.

edit on 10-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

Generally speaking, the DOW is doing well today.

My own portfolio is doing exceptionally well today. So based on this alone, I'd say not much. =\

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think it is for the chidren..

When I was growing up and
first heard of the *doomsday clock*
it was the end all be all to the human race.

edit on 10-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

My point exactly. People always imagine a stock crash when doom is near, but in fact stocks will gain a bit of strength, and would likely would for quite a while before the bottom fell out.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The doomsday clock doesn't mean much really.

We've come plenty of times very close to actual nuclear war in the last 50 years. Every time, there was someone sane, most of the time low level people, who said I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ORDERS OR PROTOCOLS SAY, and we averted nuclear war time and time again.

Hopefully this trend will continue.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
is it time for bed yet, I am tired

OK OK

Is there any money that can be made off of a nuclear exchange? If the answer is no ,,,well there is the answer.

War effort is proven to be the reason for the wars anyway.
edit on 10-1-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Yetichi

I had posted a thread a few weeks ago that on january 9th they atomic bullaetin board was meeting to rediscuss the clocks setting, it is unusual as I have followed this doomsday clock sense i was a elementry and jr high schood child in those days it was talked about when it was changed we also had a course on why it was created, to bring attention to the world as to hwo close we are to distroying mankind with our war tactics. I was more concerned with this change because it was changed last january 10th 2010, never in its history has it changed 2 years in a row, last year it went from 5 minutes up to 6, the reason was economy was doing ok, no real large nuclear threats, life was good enough to show we had move away from disasterous threats. This recent set so soon after the last is something to pay attention to. at least for myself as I understand its full meaning. I missed it today when they announced it thanks for sharing peace.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
it takes an aweful lot to make the clock move!!

Not really. They moved it backwards (better) a few minutes when Obama get elected .. simply because he got elected. I don't think the 'Doomsday Clock' gods are infallible. Seems pretty biased ....

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The Doom clock is a joke! It goes forward, it goes backward, forward, backward.

When that 'day of doom' comes, no one will care (or for that matter, even think) about turning that damn hand to midnight!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The Doomsday Clock moves forward a minute, and Hostess Twinkies have filed for bankruptcy. Coincidence? I think not.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Should the clock ever have gone backward in the first place?

Hmmm....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The said symbolic clock was made in 1947 by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. The atomic experts who manage the Doomsday Clock moved its hands one minute closer to midnight Tuesday. The symbolic clock measures our recognized time before global destruction. Although it had gained a minute in 2010, that time was dropped today over issues of nuclear weapons, nuclear power and climate change. Source for this article: Doomsday Clock clicks one minute closer to 12.

new topics

top topics

join