It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.C. to Compensate Victims of Sterilization in 20th Century Eugenics Program

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Tell me, does ignorance hurt?

Just because someone suffers from challenges doesn't mean that their children will.

Edit to Add: Here's the original thread about the N.C. sterilizations.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
post removed by staff

And your signature reads...

**Conservative Libertarian**
Anti-Big Government

So much for liberties and small government, huh? Let's sterilize the whole world and then the government can "license" those they deem "proper breeders"... Great idea!
Let BIG government control who breeds.

Jesus... Sometimes I think people don't even know what they believe in...

As regards the OP, it's about time the government be held responsible for their control over the people.

edit on Tue Jan 17 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

You should hope they don't make it into law to sterilize "retards" or anyone with an IQ of 75 or less because that would affect you personally.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Nope. Last time I was tested it was 143. Beat that. My kids? 131 and 115. Stupid people suck. I am not one of them.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Well I guess even smart people can be idiots at times. Re-reading your post I realize there's a lot of resentment, and you are right the Natives did get screwed and screwed badly. But how can you wish people to show attention and compassion for what happened to your people, when you turn around and speak of those that were sterilized as if they were animals? What makes you any different from those that did what they did to your people when they seen you in the same light?

Grats on your 143 if you speak the truth btw.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Call me when you add another 30 or so points :p.

Also, how is it that nobody caught this -

In an announcement today, the Eugenics Compensation Task Force is expected to recommend a cash amount and an apology to victims for taking away their ability to have children. It will also decide if the victims' descendants are eligible for money.

What descendants? Leaving out the possibility of adopted children, if you've been forcibly sterilized, the whole point of this story, uh, you don't have descendants.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
reply to post by Ookie

Call me when you add another 30 or so points :p.

Also, how is it that nobody caught this -

In an announcement today, the Eugenics Compensation Task Force is expected to recommend a cash amount and an apology to victims for taking away their ability to have children. It will also decide if the victims' descendants are eligible for money.

What descendants? Leaving out the possibility of adopted children, if you've been forcibly sterilized, the whole point of this story, uh, you don't have descendants.

Yeah I thought the same thing, the decendants part made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Maybe they had some children before being sterilised, or the sterilisation was reversible.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
In an earlier post I had given this post. If you would check, you would find that this wasn't just for for mentally handicapped. It was also for the "Native Americans" and the French-Canadians.

www.uvm.edu...

Groups Targeted and Victimized

Poor and socially ostracized families were targeted for investigation of the three D’s (delinquency, dependency, and mental defect). These families usually lived “outside the accepted moral or social convention of middleclass America” (Gallagher, p. 37). The three D’s were used to target the poor, the disabled, French-Canadians, and Native Americans. Women were targeted more than men. French-Canadians and Abenakis were seen as a foe and threat to the early colonial settlers of Vermont. They represented “an insidious and continuous invasion” of Vermont and were therefore targeted (Gallagher, p. 45). Studies done on degenerate family lines were often traced back to French Canadian or Native American ancestry and were used to target these groups (Gallagher, pp. 80-82).

Families who were notorious for having illegitimate and/or "defective" children were targeted, as were those notorious for illiteracy, incest, and for having institutionalized family members (Eugenics Survey in Vermont: Studies). Families that had "bad heredity" or mixed racial ancestry were targets of Vermont's Eugenic survey.

Interestingly, as it was historically believed that the French had interbred with the Abenaki, the prejudice against these two otherwise-disparate groups was in fact linked.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

<< 1   >>

join