It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.C. to Compensate Victims of Sterilization in 20th Century Eugenics Program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

N.C. to Compensate Victims of Sterilization in 20th Century Eugenics Program

abcnews.go.com

North Carolina will become the first state to compensate victims of a mass sterilization program that targeted poor minorities in a 20th century eugenics program.

In an announcement today, the Eugenics Compensation Task Force is expected to recommend a cash amount and an apology to victims for taking away their ability to have children. It will also decide if the victims' descendants are eligible for money.

"The task force has discussed a range between $20,000 and $50,000, but we won't know for certain the amount or other elements until after they vote," Jill Lucas communications dir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Between 20-50 thousand dollars?

Sounds pretty cheap to me!

This specific example is one of many known cases of this despicable practice. Although this seems to be the actions of one state, I believe eugenics has and is a widespread practice.

I have seen people get awarded much more money for less suffering. The panel that chose this amount needs to rethink their decision because this is an insult to the victims. I hope they win their fight and get the compensation they deserve.

Even though this incident began in 1929, eugenics is very real people. The Nazis that came to Canada and the U.S. after WW2 brought this practice with them and have been enabled to practice on the whole world, especially Africa.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: Spelling amg grammar and format

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Wow, someone slipping on a Burger gets much more.
You have to add Dr. Mengele if you point out racists

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Between 20-50 thousand dollars?

Sounds pretty cheap to me!

Sounds expensive to me

Where is this money coming from, isn't that the first question?

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I have seen people get awarded much more money for less suffering. The panel that chose this amount needs to rethink their decision because this is an insult to the victims. I hope they win their fight and get the compensation they deserve.

You mean the people should be taxed more?
Again where is this money coming from?

How is that the right thing to do?
Perhaps people that were so opposed to this are the one's paying for it

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I caught this on the news and wasn't ever aware of this. I did some research on this and it is quite interesting. In some states where it was adopted, anybody was able to get someone 'fixed' just by filing a form.
I was going to start a thread but after doing a search I came across this one from not too long ago-

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry, I forgot to add my contribution to the subject. An updated list of all the states that show records of this. Interesting that some states either don't or won't reveal any records.

www.uvm.edu...
edit on 10-1-2012 by geo1066 because: added info

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You mean the people should be taxed more?

Come on dude get a grip, I never specifically said that. I don't care where the money comes from, the state and the federal gov need to be held accountable.

This isn't really that much money, not even on the state budget level.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
no kids.. and cash.. sounds good to me..

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

In Canada I pay a lot of taxes that go to the natives due to their treatment going back much longer than this incident. It's a similar scenario, they are tax exempt, I pay tons of taxes. I think my government could have handled it better, but it's just the way it is. This problem goes way deeper than just taxes, it's the governing body itself. These people deserve to be compensated.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is crazy, I live in N.C and I never heard anything about this story on the news or through any of the typical internet media. Though I agree they need to be held accountable I can't also help but wonder where this money is coming from since this state has a lot of thing but an excess of cash aint one of them, but honestly its all just money so I couldn't care less, I 'd be much happier to see the victims given a guarantee that this will never happen again than some check and a letter saying "Our Bad".

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
disgusting!!!

shows how much they value life...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's long overdue.

People are waking up to all the evil # our government has perpetuated.

This one is good unlike the mk ultra victims who rarely got compensated for the evil done to them.

Or the Tuskeegee syphilis experiments where they infected people with syphilis and watched them die... telling them they couldn't treat them they just had "bad blood."

Makes my blood boil ... and this doesn't even touch experiements done on soldiers.

Here's an ATS official thread listing many of the experiments we know about.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yep handout trillions of dollars (tax payer) in bailouts with no trail or accountability, went to the people that got us in the mess in the first place. But people that got screwed as guinne pigs by their trusted government which took away their ability (And God given/inalienable rights) to reproduce cannot have the 50k scraps that would cost tax payers too much.

edit on 10-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sorry for the poor quality OP article everyone. I authored this thread from my phone earlier today and the page comes up with much more content from my phone. I thought the text would be the same but when I clicked the link from my PC only a few sentences show.

Here is the regular article, oddly enough this is exactly how it appeared from my phone.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Becoming a parent is a huge responsibility. Anyone who has a baby and doesn't have the resources/skills/intellect/health to care for a baby is completely irresponsible to the point of having committed a criminal act. We need to sterilize people at birth, then reverse it once they are able to prove they have the resources/skills/intellect/health to care for a baby. Effectively there should be a parent license.

Entire impoverished countries should be sterilized. Maybe we can start spraying contrails of birth control over some of the countries with Billions of people and high birth rates while also experiencing misery, starvation, and disease.

6.8 Billion people on earth and we're worried about punishing people for sterilizing people. Give me a break, they should be rewarded.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever heard.

I pity your ignorance.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Who would pay to Guatemalans ?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius apologize for secret U.S. medical tests during the 1940's which intentionally exposed hundreds of Guatemalans to diseases

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

They don't need any money, Hillary apologized to them

I remember her announcement and it wasn't very sincere.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join