It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli parliament debate turns ugly as politician throws water over colleague

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

The woman was upset about being told to shut up by the Arab-Israeli politician over a human rights issue involving women.

www.guardian.co.uk...

An ultranationalist Israeli parliament member faced possible suspension from the Knesset on Monday for hurling a cup of water at an Arab colleague when he told her to "shut up" during exchanges over school students attending human rights rally.

Ghaleb Majadleh, an Israeli Arab member of the Labour party, had protested at an education panel meeting to reprimand an Arab school principal for letting pupils attend a human rights group rally. "You are inciting against the state," retorted Anastasia Michaeli, a member of the rightwing Yisrael Beitenu (Israel Our Home) party.

When Majadleh told her to "shut up" Michaeli rose from her seat, poured water into a plastic cup and threw it at Majadleh, hitting his face and jacket, before heading for the door.

The outburst was not unusual for Israel's raucous parliament but many see the violent nature of the argument as a sign of rising political tensions, spurred on by speculation that national elections may be held earlier than 2013.

Michaeli later told reporters Majadleh had been rude. "If there are no men in the Israeli Knesset willing to defend women, then I will defend myself, the honour of my party and of the Knesset," she said.

Majadleh, a former cabinet minister and the only Israeli Arab citizen ever to hold such a position, accused Michaeli of provocation and denied insulting her.

If there was action like this on C-SPAN I'd actually tune in from time to time. The man denies making telling her to shut up, if true it should all be right there in the video, too bad I don't speak the language. Anyone care to translate?

edit on 10-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
he's lucky she did'nt shoot him... though he may want to watch out she may send the mossad or idf after him instead...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Haha cool. If i were her though, i would have used the whole bottle

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Good! Shame there wasn't a true gentleman there to remind him that he was speaking to a woman.
Political arguments aside, a lady is a lady and must be treated with respect.

Didn't know there were arab israelis in the knesset, awesome.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dembow

I don't see what her being a woman has to do with anything, but the woman was pretty silly in doing that.

The politician obviously got too emotional and decided to act like a child. The politician who got water thrown on him obviously knew how silly and childish the other one was being by his face. It was a civil discussion and there was no need for that.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
We should be to the old days and all politicians should have a sword
Other than that I cant really comment much as dont have a clue what was being said. Funny to watch though.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The smirk on the mans face afterwards was priceless. He realised how stupid she made herself look. If anyone can translate Hebrew, I hope they can produce a full transcript.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The tone of the big headed guy was seeingly beligerant towards that woman... I got the impression that he was a big boorish oaf with respect only for his own opinion.. Even though I didn't understand a single word..

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Parliament member Raab Majadla:
I did not hear about a single school from Jewish sector being invited to this hearing. What,there is different policy toward for Arab society?
Parliament member Anastasia Michaeli:
You (as in plural) are walking against the state, you are speaking against (cannot figure out what)...
R.M:
You, shut up. You do not interfere...
A.M:
YOU shut up!
R.M:
Don't interfere.
A.M:
You do not speak to me like this!
(They both repeat it couple of times)
R.M:
I"l speak to you this way, it is my turn (to speak. There is certain time for each member of commitee to speak during discuttion and he means that it is all during his limited time).
A.M:
You have no respect for women and for Knesset place? (Her Hebrew is not the best,like my English.)
R.M:
Shut up and don't interfere. Don't interrupt shut up.
A.M:
Be ashamed of yourself.
R.M: (to someone else)
It is your function,to make her shut up.
A.M:
I am surprised that in Knesset committee people speak that way.
R.M:
Make her shut up.
We are not in the neighborhood. (This means that we are in respected place and should behave accordingly).
A.M:
I am calling for ...(cannot understand what she says).
Someone else:
If you both will not stop it this discussion ...
R.M:
It is committee for education,culture and sport. I demand from you to stop her so that she will not interrupt me.
Someone else: (They all speak together so its hard to write who said what first))
Excuse me, parliament member Anastasi... You want to continue? (To Raleb Majadla.)
R.M:
Your are head of committee so i demand you to (cannot understand) your party member. Or send her out or make her shut up. One or the other.
Someone else:
I heard you...
R.M:
I cannot accept this.
(Thanks God, finally silence for few seconds).
R.M:
Nobody will make law for himself and behave as he wants with school. The party is over, we are not under martial law, martial law ended in 1966. (He speaks about Israel Arabs being under martial law from 1948 to 1966).
A.M:
Be ashamed of yourself.
"Splash".
Everyone:
Eeeeh, what,ou,ts-ts-ts,
R.M:
What are you doing. Crazy.
Someone else:
Crazy (in Arabic and Hebrew slang - Majnunit).
R.M:
Sir head of the committee, it shows all. A shame that she is in your party(as in parliament party). I am sure that you will not agree with this wild,arrogant, fascistic behavior. But i tell you, i am not even irritated/worrying/excited. You see? I am not irritated/worrying/excited. Its predictable.

There you go.
So far she is prohibited to be in Knesset committees and discussions for a month but she can vote.

www.ynetnews.com...

edit on 10-1-2012 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Sounds like that woman is a wee bit racist to me.

But making even more news than the change in selection procedure were statements made after the decision by committee member Anastasia Michaeli, a host on Israel’s main Russian-language channel. Apparently in reference to Liel, a Jewish pop singer who had been considered for this year’s Eurovision spot, Michaeli told the YNet Web site that the country shouldn’t be represented by a singer who “looks Arab,” later adding that “I’m for equality and personally am not racist.”

Source

Yeah, sure you're not love

The same article in the OP also states she was reprimanded previously for interrupting another Israeli-Arab parliamentarian.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Nammu because: adding emphasis

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Well both having an Arab israeli and a hot russian member in the israeli parliament just shows how modern and great their country is...

In regards to her throwing water on him, i think he found it Amusing and Sexy...

i would...
edit on 12-1-2012 by CountDrac because: (no reason given)

top topics

join