It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think there's life after death?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't believe in it, but I am fascinated by the possibility of it. Demons/sprits and things along those lines intrigue me.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep by Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I do not think there is an afterlife. I hope there is an afterlife. Thinking and hoping are two entirely different things though and reality has a way of crushing one's hopes.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Picollo30

I would like to believe our individual sense of awareness, or soul, does go on in other ways and in other worlds,

I think about this topic often and would like to add some contrasting thoughts and concepts that have most likely been stumbled into by many through out the history of conscious human thought...

Also bare with me for this might get a little all over the place... but it would be awesome if anyone could extract anything and embellish... or dissect and argue....

People say that current souls have had past lives, I do not know how this can be.
The exact system of body and consciousness which you are, would never have existed in its form, with its specific traits and abilities if it were not for your parents quite creatively pro creating you,
and if you believe some spirt or ghost like soul was zapped into the embryo in your mothers womb, and that in your past life you were this and that, then is there really any objective; close and meaningful bond or relationship between yourself and your parents?
If in your last life you were hitler, and now you are a new born baby girl to a proud jewish family?
(please dont say you werent hitler because hitler is probably in hell, this is one of many examples of a fitting analogy to express my train of thought)

The human as the interpreter of this philosophical question, is biased in every way, for he knows everything but the truth, blockades and boundaries of semantics, symbolic language, hopes, ignorance, how should we know how to feel about this reality and our existence in it, slaves of creation, in our nature we must feel at home, we progress to heighten our tastes of nature and in turn our home...

I realize there can be arguments to the way my wording depicts the soul being injected into the embryo, which leads me to quickly realize the answer to the topic of this discussion is one which is not designed to be easily known, but there is an answer, for something does occur, so we may further speculate with caution..

so arguments as in a seed or nut of a tree contains the potential information needed to grow that whole tree, your argument for the soul, would be that all potential conscious understandings, abilities, learnings, personality are specifically and individually a unique creation contained in that embryo in that precise moment of time as the beginning of a physical/spirtual being. there for the informational and eternal essence, the casing of all possibilities of what that human can be and do, is the soul?

the biological materials that were needed for your creation were provided by the process of your parents bodies consuming viable energy passing through their systems, producing the sperm and egg,

I see that all energy is recycled, what makes up the body, including the sperm and egg are proteins and nutrients from nature, including the specific dna and genes which is kind of the barcode of the species of life.
nothing that has ever come about on this planet exists separate from the whole. any biological entity that comes into being depends and requires a suitable habitat up to some areas of deviation, but it is known that some biological entities are region specific requiring precise environments for said entity to become into fruition, much like the technological inventions made now were only possible because those progressions and innovations which came before.

are you the sperm,egg, and original DNA? are you your nutrients, your stored energy? are you what you eat? or is your collective consciousness an indestructible part of the all encompassing energy grid? Do all apes have souls? or did we evolve the ability to live after we die?
why are you not an ant? how does one come into consciousness as an ant? or a barnacle? similar questions probably are what sparked the idea of reincarnation.

or our common most ancient ancestor made the right choices to bring us to human ness, but without looking back thinking of the harsh consequences of never wanting to leave the biological temples and highly conscious abodes we erect for ourselves. And so now our whole lives are based around projecting ourselves as far into the future as we can,

maybe the universe is performing this primitive facade of balls of rock and gas for us, and in other dimensions and perspectives the universe appears nothing as it does from our scale and speed, like we are living in the imagination of the earth and sun, an illusive realm which is broken upon physical death,
and there is really much more organization, intelligence, purpose, and will involved
in the activities of the universe. Hey God can I get a job?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Maybe there is a memory bank where souls may dwell and recoup before they journey on through eternity, that is how we would establish the universe if we could,
we must remember that we did not create this universe, we also must remember that everything we could desiree to be and to create, the universe is aware is possible, and it waiting with open arms, or a clenched fist. It is always infinite steps ahead of us. Yes we are on the "cutting edge" but can we create a star? no we depend on one star for the entire history of life on this planet, we are on the "cutting edge" but we can not establish order on our planet, and men cannot feel secure enough to be satisfied with his existence of +/- 80 spins around this star.

so how can you, only ever being able to know this manifestation of personal awareness ever be anything but this moment of manifested awareness?

how can humpty dumpty be put back together again?

a pro post life argument; Because this human was created with a sanctified and holy bond of divine elements, and started on a linear course of many degrees of growth through time, and because energy can neither be created nor destroyed, perhaps the soul, is the true fruit of our physical existences labor,

however what can this soul hope to accomplish or achieve? everything we dream of is from proportionate and possible activities, experiences and actions of a human. We were just thrown into this world, in the areas of cultivated freedom we have created in between birth and death there is infinite room for infinite belief.

I do believe in god. If one atom existed that would be enough proof for me, for I would know I did not put that atom there or manifest it, something else must have. But I cant fathom its ways, I guess it is suppose to be humbling, I out of nothing, had to be created, and after a few loops around our closest energy source, I expect to obtain a smidgen of accurate understanding, a plumb pictorial production within my mind, I am so new, and yet I want the universe to bow down to me and reveal all it contains, ought i be jealous of its power, timelessness, perfection, size, wisdom, mathematical majesty, what is the path one must take to become god of a universe?
If that is the point of the soul, if that is the plotted path you intend highest of high, I submit all I am and all I could ever hope to be, to perform the work you deem necessary to be a disciple or son of yours, a true and accurate fractal.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
"The ultimate in optimism is believing there is no life after death."

I'm not that big of an optimist.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I personally do not believe in life after death. I look at ants and don't see any life after death for them ... so why would I be any different. As amazed people are with our bodies and the "complexities" of it .. we're still just meat and juices that are going to rot and decay.

The minds makes us believe whatever it wants to make us feel the most comfortable. Until proven, when we die were as dead as door knob. I don't look at the glass as half full or half empty. I just look at it as a glass of water.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Picollo30
Hi guys do you think there's life after death that we are here on this world to learn and endure suffering in order to become better beings and ascend to another world like Plato tells in Phaedo? Is it all body or does a soul exist?

My dear father died yesterday with a cardiac arrest caused by a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, he had to live with an oxygen mask and a ventilator 24/7,he suffered a lot and now i want to believe he is on a better place.

One of the things i would like science to discover in my lifetime is about the imortality of the soul. I wouldnt like to think because some crazy ideas passed my mind today that we are a macabre social experiment or simulation game made by intelligent but amoral beings

My condolences go out to you for your recent loss.
You Father is indeed in a better place.

I do feel that some of us Scientific types see the science behind our dying and also in the cases of Near Death Experiences.....which do prove that our consciousness can live outside of the body....and returns once the body is well enough to receive it once again.
This being due to the clinical definition of Death which is the absence of Brain Waves....which are electrical in nature and are scientifically measurable.

When we die they are no longer existent but when we are resuscitated they return indicating that this is really our soul that is returning and is indeed electric in nature.

The reason as to why Science isn't behind this theory which can be proven by simple electrical measurements of the living, the dead and once again for the resuscitated, is that our entire system here in the west is based upon fear of dying.

If we embraced our passing on instead of fearing it ....what would that spell to the Pharmaceutical industry for example.....?

So that is why we are instructred to fear our supposed death...once again it's all about money...money made based upon people's fears...unfortunately.

Say a prayer for your Dad and tell him you love him ....it helps the Souls in their passage.

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is what I think - my ATS thread - Life is Chaotic Color
Unusual ... kinda demented ... abstract .... but if you can read through it you'll get the idea of what I think.
Hey .. it's as good a thought as any.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

My opinion is that there IS no such thing as death.We are Spirits/Souls,just at this time existing in these humans shells.When something causes the destruction of the shell/conveyance we have to use on this specific planet,in this specific dimension,we move on.Im a firm believer in Reincarnation.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Personally, I think if I want there to be a life after I die, then there will be.
I know some people will say this is just as pussy way of getting around there not being life after death.
But I think death is more than the end of life.
I think if you truly believe heart and soul in an afterlife, then you will go on to live again.
If not, then you won't.
I don't expect people to agree with me, but this helps me accept the idea of death, and if I'm wrong when I die, well there's not much I could do about that then, is there

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackreign2012
I personally do not believe in life after death. I look at ants and don't see any life after death for them ... so why would I be any different. As amazed people are with our bodies and the "complexities" of it .. we're still just meat and juices that are going to rot and decay.

Is it not possible that what you refer to as "ants" are really just Souls in a different shell? Sure, they are far less complex in make-up than are we humans, but isn't the possibility still there that ants, animals and humans are all just Souls inhabiting different shells? There is no doubt that our physical bodies will eventually rot and decay, but what about the other characteristics of our being such as Consciousness, Mind and Spirit?

The minds makes us believe whatever it wants to make us feel the most comfortable. Until proven, when we die were as dead as door knob.

I agree that we allow our minds to believe certain things based on our need to feel comfortable rather than based on what is logical and truthful.

I don't look at the glass as half full or half empty. I just look at it as a glass of water.

Or water surrounded by glass. But hey, what's the difference?

edit on 13/1/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lightseeker

Aaww thanks dude,for placing this comment!,i been looking for this poem for so long! Could not remember the name or author,tho.Sadly,i may need this soon,a beloved fried's mom has cancer and may soon leave.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Personally, I believe in reincarnation but before you reincarnate after your death your soul is sent to a so-called astral spirit sphere. Where you're readied for reincarnation. So, I guess you could say that's life after death.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie621

I call this "Realm between Incarnations"..like a metaphysical debriefing facility,where you reflect on lessons learnt,and a time for R+R.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

It is brave of you to face this topic in the aftermath of such a difficult loss.

There has been a wealth of discussion over the years on ATS. Typing 'NDE' or 'near death experiences' will bring up many of them. One of the most fascinating aspects is veridical perception, whereby events/conversations, etc., are accurately remembered by patients who were dead at the time they occurred (-most often in an operating theatre).

You might find Near-death experiences are real, and we have the proof, say scientists of interest.

Also, 'A Glimpse of Eternity':

Google Video Link

I certainly agree with several posters: there is more to life than the physical and the temporal.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Sorry for your loss OP...I do believe we have a choice after our 'shells' die..I put my 7 yr old sons story on a few threads already...When he was 3/4 he started talking about his 'before' mom and his 'before' life...He even told me how he died...He has recently asked me if I could locate his 'before' mom...I just dont have much info to go to find her. He strongly believes she is still living, so, i just assume his past life ended very shortly before he was givin to me...I am just so glad he had an obviously caring and loving 'before' mom, that he apparently still loves...sorry for any spelling errors. Broken computer, gotta use the nook..

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yes. Only a fraction of your soul is placed within this temporary sensing receptacle called the body. Your soul has other simultaneous experiences beyond what its fraction within the body experiences. You are not only incarnating for your own benefit/lessons, you often incarnate for the growth of other souls by helping share specific experiences to which you are a player. It would be much more accurate to refer to a lifetime as a play, or even an act within a play. Each is doing his/her part, according to the script and scene. Each is a character with specific traits. When the play is over, you return to being who/what you really are.

Sometimes people identify so strongly with who they are in a lifetime, and get so deeply into role-playing due to obsession with addictive or traumatic experiences, that they fail to return to their source frequency upon passing. They remain within the astral as ghosts or other fragments, but need not remain so indefinitely.

There are also many variations and categories of non-incarnate energies who: 1) attempt to assist, 2) attempt to interfere, 3) attempt to parasite vicariously upon the senses of the physical/emotional bodies either passively or actively. Think of the third group as kids shooting spitballs at one or more actors during the play, to elicit a specific response they enjoy. In this third category, there exist energies who believe and act as if humans within this frequency range are their cattle.

You are a sovereign being, and the best part is you will soon have ever increasing awareness of your true self. The word "apocalypse" literally means "the unveiling." It isn't an end to anything, except ignorance and obsession with the ruse that has been...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I am sorry to hear of your friend's mother's illness but glad that I was able to reconnect you with the poem.

I think I have always believed that there was another sphere of existence that we go to when we die; although, I have never been able to completely get myself to accept the reincarnation theory. I have just had too many experiences with seeing apparitions, feeling the presence of departed loved ones and even smelling the scent of a particular cologne or perfume that a loved one wore in life, to not believe. Whether you choose to call that place heaven or a "higher plane of existence", I am convinced that it does exist.

Personally, I believe that eventually all souls will stand in judgement for how they lived their lives; those who spent their lives trying to be a positive influence on the world around them will achieve Heaven by entering the "Light" and those who spent their lives in violent, evil and destructive ways will go to a place where they will spend eternity alone, with only their regrets and self loathing for company; sort of like a "forever" solitary confinement. I think that all of those we see and sense around us are all of these souls in an "in-between" place, where they use what power they have to look after and care for those they left behind,(if they were good people before), or, if they were bad or evil people in life, by influencing others to do bad or evil things. I think, too, that there are a great many souls who regret the way that they lived their lives and when you speak to them via EVP, they invariable will ask you to help them and pray for them so they can cross over.

Blessings,

LS

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by peacemind

What an interesting theory.Your opinion,please,do you think that this may account for what has been called "travelling" in the Dreamstate? When in vividly recalled "dreams" with much detail,we seem to keep returning to the same city/town,a place we dont know in our waking life.Yet when we arrive there while dreaming,we are(in the dream)aware that we have been in this place many times,even down to having favorite shops and streets,and we know our way around,as well as we know our own town in our waking life..And in my personal case,sometimes feel a bit bereft when i wake?tho i have a good life in the "awake" world..as i think of those places now,there is a subtle tug at my heart.Or could that be multi-dimensional/parallel world awareness?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join