It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Patents ‘Avoid Ghetto’ Feature For GPS Devices

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't know what to think of this. Are we creating "Dead Zones" out of poverty stricken areas of our cities?

I think that this is a little disturbing actually. Cut off a segment of society from GPS as if they don't exist? I can understand a safety issue but to have a "danger Zone" pop up on GPS because it's a high crime rate area is not sitting right with me and I don't know why.

It seems like something out of a futuristic movie. Driving along in the sunlight and it starts getting darker as we approach the "Undesirable Zone". hmmmm

Gotta think about this a little more myself but what say you?

seattle.cbslocal.com...

A GPS device is used to find shortcuts and avoid traffic, but Microsoft’s patent states that a route can be plotted for pedestrians to avoid an “unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures.”

Created for mobile phones, the technology uses the latest crime statistics and weather data and includes them when calculating a route.

edit on 8-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
what if you live in the ghetto. does microsoft have a move now while you can feature, or does your phone constantly beep "unsafe".

what if you plot a course home, do you just drive around in circles or does the feature crash and kill your iphone.

that's pretty embarrassing. you invite people over for a dinner party, they punch your address on the car gps and red flags and sirens start popping all over the place on their screen.

another microsoft failure. they should stick to fixing their crappy, virus prone software like windows instead of trying to incite more class warfare.

edit on 8-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Awesome, now I can venture out at night without being worried about being carjacked or shot in a drive by!

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I guess Wall Street does not show up on GPS. I think that would be a high crime rate area.Not to mention the House and Senate buildings along with the White House and K street.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If events unfold as most people are expecting, these 'avoid ghetto' zones will far exceed 'safe' zones to travel.

I can hear the GPS system now: "Destination unreachable. Programming alternative route. Destination Unreachable. Programming alternative route. Destination Unreachable."

Even funnier, it's the rich that are doing all the stealing; creating these ghettos.
edit on 8-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

If events unfold as most people are expecting, these 'avoid ghetto' zones will far exceed 'safe' zones to travel.

I can hear the GPS system now: "Destination unreachable. Programming alternative route. Destination Unreachable. Programming alternative route. Destination Unreachable."

Brings a whole new meaning to that old joke about a guy asking for directions and being told, "You can't get there from here."

Thanks for a good belly laugh!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Is it because there may not be many GPS in that area or simply public transportation seems to be the bigger mode of transportation...??

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
That's brilliant.

Why not just section off certain portions of the cities though and make it easier?

Remember Mars?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I don't know what to think of this. Are we creating "Dead Zones" out of poverty stricken areas of our cities?

I think that this is a little disturbing actually. Cut off a segment of society from GPS as if they don't exist? I can understand a safety issue but to have a "danger Zone" pop up on GPS because it's a high crime rate area is not sitting right with me and I don't know why.

Gotta think about this a little more myself but what say you?

I find it disturbing when my GPS sends me through DC ghettos; actually it can be pretty scary. Same with the Baltimore ones.

Theres a difference between pretending they dont exist, and simply not wanting to go anywhere near them. I would have this feature on all the time. Ill take the extra 5 minute hit to my trip time.
edit on 1/8/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by jude11

Is it because there may not be many GPS in that area or simply public transportation seems to be the bigger mode of transportation...??

I believe it'll be sold as the "Vacationer Safety Package".

Traveling to our city? Don't worry and have a safe visit!

We'll keep you informed of where you can feel safe. Update you on the latest illegal protests and ensure that you have no contact with the undesirables.

Have a Nice Day Citizen!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
That's brilliant.

Why not just section off certain portions of the cities though and make it easier?

Remember Mars?

ah Boncho! Missed ya!

Always the voice of reason...

Nice to see you again but I miss the old Avi...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by boncho
That's brilliant.

Remember Mars?

ah Boncho! Missed ya!

Always the voice of reason...

Nice to see you again but I miss the old Avi...

Unfortunately, my old avatar was stolen from me as I tried to get home hurriedly using my cars GPS. It seemed to have brought me in the wrong part of town, and then the avi was stolen.

If only Microsoft could have come to my aid sooner.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If they're basing it off of crime rates, it's going to be really difficult to find a safe route to Disney World now

Picture Source

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hey Jude...
[sorry, lol]

i'm from harlem and when i was little
i saw a guy killed

for walking "funny"

but i get what you mean

this feature promotes avoidance
and the ghetto problem doesn't get fixed

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Wow I didn't know there was that much crime in Florida, well I know where was some but according to the legend at the bottom there is a lot

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by jude11

Awesome, now I can venture out at night without being worried about being carjacked or shot in a drive by!

OR, Better still....

If you are car-jacked,

you can sue microsoft for failing to warn you!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hola boncho!

constant awareness of your surroundings will get you through [or allow you to avoid] any ghetto safer than any GPS

or at least looking like you know where you're going

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just like I thought Washington DC should be blocked from GPS.

www.neighborhoodscout.com...

Same with Wall Street.

www.neighborhoodscout.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I for one always try to avoid the ghettos I live around. For a number of reasons the ones around here are bad and thats from personal exp. All my life I am full aware of the true horrors that can occur in them and has in the past. I am not blind but the reality of the matter is every one should have the option to avoid a dangerous area if they choose too. Star n Flag mate Cant wait to buy this GPS unit for my car.

If you don't like this feature do not use it.

If i can pick the scenic route on a GPS I should have the freedom to avoid any ghetto in my city because hell I know tons who do now.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I dont like driving in nice neighborhoods, they make me sick. All the crap people buy to put in a large house witch they are never in because they have to work 12hrs a day to keep it. Is Microsoft going to help me out?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join