It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Patents ‘Avoid Ghetto’ Feature For GPS Devices

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I personally think this is a great patent. This feature wont pretend areas don't exist and it would never say an area is unreachable. I don't see how offering a safer route to a destination for someone who is unfamiliar with an area is a Microsoft screw up. It will, however, be interesting to see what constitutes a neighborhood as a ghetto. Crime rate? Murder rate? Poverty level?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Do we simply turn our heads and look the other way.....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Lmao!! Guess no one will be attending events. At the Alamo dome or at&t center. In San Antonio, TX

The Alamo is pretty much out as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
Lmao!! Guess no one will be attending events. At the Alamo dome or at&t center. In San Antonio, TX

The Alamo is pretty much out as well.

"Remember the Alamo!"

Now it'll be: "Remember the Alamo? We used to go there."

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think it's a great thing, it would prevent more foreign tourist deaths in Florida. You are under-estimating the danger of unknowingly driving through a very bad part of town, especially at night, especially if you're in a nice rental car.

These ghetto zones don't have as much police because of the violence, there is nothing wrong with a GPS helping tourists avoid these areas.

Edit: I doubt many of you people who are offended by this GPS feature have actually had to commute through a truly unsafe urban areas. Not just a 'poor part of town'.
edit on 1/8/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

These ghetto zones don't have as much police because of the violence

Less police because of violence? Wait...What?

Why is that? I have never heard of less police in high violence areas.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

*Raises hand*
I'm in the ghetto now. My son's paternal father, was shot in the head and killed less than a quarter of a mile from the alamodome. A place that holds big events.

I am offended. But it's OK. I understand if. The rest of the world wants to forget we are here.

If I won the lotto, I'd buy every house on my street, and hand the deeds over to the current occupants. I wouldn't move.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The politically incorrect truth is that those places are bad and should be avoided. Microsoft realizes this and adds that information to their GPS'es. I'd buy one, last time I drove through a 'ghetto' was in 1998 and our rear passenger side window was blown out by a 9mm bullet. Had anyone been sitting in there, they'd be dead. Thankfully there was only the driver and myself (in the passenger seat) in the car.

I swear, people are far too politically correct. The truth has to be sugar coated so it becomes dangerous!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

No thanks. It looks like it won't be of much help to me anyway, I mean did ya see that Florida map? Think I will just stay in at night as always.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

The rest of the world wants to forget we are here.

I don't think anyone truly wants to forget. It's that most don't know what to say in certain situations and therefore resort to humor.

But now that you have raised your hand, it can't be ignored as much right?...

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If they sell off the roads to corporations do you think they would turn this into a search engine type scam where you can buy the top spots. Pay a fee to Microsoft and they will redirect all traffic to your corporate owned toll road.

edit on 8-1-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
If they sell off the roads to corporations do you think they would turn this into a search engine type scam where you can buy the top spots. Pay a fee to Microsoft and they will redirect all traffic to your corporate owned toll road.

edit on 8-1-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

Nice Conspiracy Theory...

Anything is possible when Govt. and Corp. get behind closed doors. I wouldn't doubt that something like this is a possibility at all.

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Really there isn't a whole lot to do with it. If you cannot change the community, then you either quarantine it, or disperse it.

I'm probably going to sound horrible, and I myself hate saying it, but I think one of the reason there was rarely any crime in poor slave communities in the 1800s is because they were always being moved around. Once settlement began, crime began.

Really, you either educate the next generation, quarantine it until standards raise, or disperse the community to the four corners of the country.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If you think this feature is a bad idea, then you truely haven't driven through a rough neighborhood.

Stopping at a red light, is an invitation for a gang of 12 to run up to your windown, put a bullet in your head, and get your car stolen.

The truth hurts oh well, there are certain streets I avoid in my city, I can give a rats ass if that hurts their feelings, It's just not worth the risk.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It's so rich people don't have to see the ugly side of society. They don't want to have to look at the foreclosed, abandoned, run-down buildings while driving in their nice cars. Come on, those things are ugly. Plus those second class citizens aren't worthy of being seen by the rest of society, we should just quarantine them and treat them like lepurs.

Or people could just suck it up and drive wherever their GPS takes them.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, I welcome the new service. I remember twenty years ago a rainy night coming through Houston on I-10 and exiting for gas. How were we to know that our attempts to get back on the interstate took us into a bad part of town?

Some of you folks live with rose-colored glasses on. As far back as 1960 when I was working and living on the southside of Chicago that there were places around 63rd street where people of my color didn't go day or night unless accompanied by one that "knew" the area. That situation is even moreso today in many cities in the US and around the world. Some places are so bad that even the police don't go there at night. Some of you need to get real.

The more information you have about anything, the better decisions you can make. This app helps in more ways than one. And one of those is that you just might live longer.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Unless you are driving in a military TANK, the last thing that you want to pass near or drive thru is the ghetto.

Microsoft should be PRAISED for this one. Will probably actually save a few thousand lives, rapes and car-jacking incidents.

Now, if Microsoft can only make the ghettos and the degenerate criminals who live there disappear in REAL LIFE, that would be fantastic.

edit on 8-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
reply to post by Drezden

*Raises hand*
I'm in the ghetto now. My son's paternal father, was shot in the head and killed less than a quarter of a mile from the alamodome. A place that holds big events.

I am offended. But it's OK. I understand if. The rest of the world wants to forget we are here.

If I won the lotto, I'd buy every house on my street, and hand the deeds over to the current occupants. I wouldn't move.

What is keeping you from moving out? As a poor college student I've found a cheap apartment in a decent part of my city.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by jude11

It's so rich people don't have to see the ugly side of society. They don't want to have to look at the foreclosed, abandoned, run-down buildings while driving in their nice cars. Come on, those things are ugly. Plus those second class citizens aren't worthy of being seen by the rest of society, we should just quarantine them and treat them like lepurs.

Or people could just suck it up and drive wherever their GPS takes them.

Don't be dense darling, this isn't about avoiding a few eye-sore buildings. This is about physical safety. Have you been driving around the west side of Chicago? I have, I had little children throw glass beer bottles at my car at like 10 at night when they should have been in bed. At every stop sign I had people yelling drug code talk at me. I had people yelling # against white people. It was scary as #. You have never seen a real ghetto up close.
edit on 1/8/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

You have never seen a real ghetto up close.

Dude I've walked around the "ghetto" of KCMO several times by myself. I didn't get robbed or anything. Yeah lots of buildings were foreclosed on, and the neighborhoods just looked terrible, and some people I saw looked super sketchy, but I didn't get beaten up by people and stabbed or anything. I just minded my own business and people did the same.

Some of the people are actually pretty cool up there. I talked to these guys working on their car while they were doing a little drinking, and they didn't exactly put a gun to my belly and snatch my wallet.

No gunshots flying by my head while I duck for cover and suck my thumb, no gangs brawling in the streets when I'm trying to cross, no stores being robbed and clerks getting shot, just people living their lives.

I don't know how the KCMO ghetto compares to say St. Louis or LA, but still it's definitely not a place I'd like to raise a family. But just driving through there? I'd be fine with that.
edit on 8-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join