It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US overthrew Iran’s democracy 1953-1979, armed Iraq to invade 1980-1988, now lies for more war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is a synopsis of publicly available information, just published over at www.blacklistednews.com... /38/38/Y/M.html , of recent (last 50 or so years) U.S. history in Iran and Iraq. The U.S. government sure as hell doesn't remind the public of this when trying to convince you that the reason they hate us is because they want what we have. They hate us because of everything we've done to them.

First, from wiki, you must understand the term Blowback

Blowback is the espionage term for unintended consequences of a covert operation that are suffered by the civil population of the aggressor government. To the civilians suffering the blowback of covert operations, the effect typically manifests itself as “random” acts of political violence without a discernible, direct cause; because the public—in whose name the intelligence agency acted—are ignorant of the effected secret attacks that provoked revenge (counter-attack) against them.[1] Specifically, blowback denotes the resultant, violent consequences—reported as news fact, by domestic and international mass communications media, when the actor intelligence agency hides its responsibility via media manipulation.

It's important to understand history for a better understanding of the context of today's warmongering.

US overthrew Iran’s democracy 1953-1979, armed Iraq to invade 1980-1988, now lies for more war

In 1953, the United States CIA led by one of President Theodore Roosevelt’s grandsons, initiated a coup in Iran (Operation Ajax)[8] to remove the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh. The Iranian government was understandably dissatisfied with the terms of its contract with the Anglo-Persian Oil Company that allowed British interests to claim 85% of the oil profit from Iran.[9] Iran voted to nationalize the oil industry in 1951 after the British declined to renegotiate the terms. The US-led coup was successful, and the royal monarch, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi,[10] became virtual dictator. Fearing popular reprisal, Pahlavi’s government was supported by the CIA in creating the Iranian SAVAK, a vicious secret police for the Shah’s dictatorial government.[11] We can only assume that the oil revenue sharing agreement with the Shah was acceptable to the US and UK.

Under the Eisenhower administration, the US cooperated with the Shah’s government for the development of Iranian nuclear energy through the “Atoms for Peace” program.[12] President Ford agreed to US full cooperation to help Iran build about two dozen nuclear energy plants. When the Iranian people overthrew the Shah’s government in 1979, the US stopped cooperating. The US backed Iraq in their invasion of Iran in 1980 and throughout the war until 1988, seeking a more US-friendly Iranian government. The US provided Saddam Hussein with the chemical and biological weapons the W. Bush administration later used as justification for invading Iraq.[13] Since 1979, the US has worked to prevent Iran having a nuclear energy program, even under the legal provisions of the NPT, and reneged on a multi-billion dollar contract to deliver nuclear fuel to Iran without refunding Iran’s money.[14]

It goes on from there... a good read!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This is relevant, from a 2000 article in the New York Times:

WORD FOR WORD/ABC'S OF COUPS; Oh, What a Fine Plot We Hatched. (And Here's What to Do the Next Time).

WHEN the Central Intelligence Agency helped overthrow Mohammed Mossadegh as Iran's prime minister in 1953, ensuring another 25 years of rule for Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlevi, the C.I.A. was already figuring that its first effort to topple a foreign government would not be its last.

The C.I.A., then just six years old and deeply committed to winning the cold war, viewed its covert action in Iran as a blueprint for coup plots elsewhere around the world, and so commissioned a secret history to detail for future generations of C.I.A. operatives how it had been done. The history, which remains classified, was recently obtained by The New York Times; excerpts were published this spring and a more complete version is now available on the Times Web site (www.nytimes.com).

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I would imagine that most people on ATS are aware of the US government's history with regards to overthrowing governments and its support for dictators.

Its the brainwashed sheeple care of the lame stream media that need awakening.

In his book, Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism, Robert Pape documents that the world’s leading practitioners of suicide terrorism are not Islamists but are the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka–a secular, Marxist-Leninist group drawn from Hindu families.

That "every suicide terrorist campaign has had a clear goal that is secular and political: to compel a modern democracy to withdraw military forces from the territory that the terrorists view as their homeland."
edit on 8-1-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
america's been drooling to control iran's oil for over 50 years. what's america's obsession with oil and profit.

america's foreign economic policy is why pay for it when you can steal it.

no. 1 threat to world peace has and is america. american's can't see it because they are a part of it.

you can't see the forest from the trees.

the germans during the third reich also thought they were the champions of peace and righteousness.

how the rest of the world views america should give you a true indication of your nature and policies.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

It's strange that you would leave out the British and Roman Empires in your diatribe. This is not an American phenomena, greed has been around a long, long, long time.
edit on 8/1/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Very informative thread, thanks...

It's a long history of "bully" against the Iranian people...

Iran was a democracy in 1953. The CIA ruined it...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra
Very informative thread, thanks...

It's a long history of "bully" against the Iranian people...

Iran was a democracy in 1953. The CIA ruined it...

Well, the U.S. just hates democracy when its puppets lose the elections.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
S&F for ya. Yes this mess has been going on for quite a while.It's all about control,power and world domination. It"s not just the US in my opinion but a cabal of the rich and famous and the globalists. We are on a very slippery slope right now and I don't see much hope. Earth changes whether natural or man made are also helping to break down the outlook of positivity, the whole world is in turmoil so I guess the best we can do is try and make our little corner as positive as we can, look for the feel good stories to help break the cycle of doom and gloom, make yourself happy, if you can, and try and find positive ways to help others break their cycles of depression.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Surprising that you missed out the Anglo-Soviet invasion in 1941 said *cough* to prevent the Nazis getting the oil and open up the Persian corridor (supply route) to Russia...

en.wikipedia.org...

Although allied, both nations (Britain and Russia) have been bumping heads over Iran (Persia) for quite some time before that point, and indeed there was a lot of bumping heads getting Russia to leave Iran in 1946 as promised, which sparked the Iran Crisis of 1946

en.wikipedia.org...

So IMHO when the whole picture is viewed all the big players have been and still are playing games with each other and the Iranian people are caught bang smack in the middle.
edit on 9/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
I would imagine that most people on ATS are aware of the US government's history with regards to overthrowing governments and its support for dictators.

Yeah, you'd think that would be the case, but there is a TON of ill-informed anti-Iran foaming at the mouth, even right here on ATS.

The OP is right on... 99.99999% of the US-Iran problems at this point in history are the fault of the US, not Iran.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Surprising that you missed out the Anglo-Soviet invasion in 1941 said *cough* to prevent the Nazis getting the oil and open up the Persian corridor (supply route) to Russia...

en.wikipedia.org...

Although allied, both nations (Britain and Russia) have been bumping heads over Iran (Persia) for quite some time before that point, and indeed there was a lot of bumping heads getting Russia to leave Iran in 1946 as promised, which sparked the Iran Crisis of 1946

en.wikipedia.org...

So IMHO when the whole picture is viewed all the big players have been and still are playing games with each other and the Iranian people are caught bang smack in the middle.
edit on 9/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

The Anglo-Soviet invasion was during World War II.

In 1953, Iran had a democratically elected president, Mossadegh, and the CIA managed to overthrow the democratically elected president with a coup...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
because its Americas - or i should say the elites - only way to strengthen their ability to intervene in the region is by destabilising it , and that does not apply only to Iran , but the whole freakin world.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Yes, the British and Soviets invaded Iran in 1941 where responsible for dethroning the existing Shah and installing the Shahs son.

If those things hadn't happened then perhaps Mosaddegh would not have had the view he did when he came to power, and the Iran crisis was one of the first stages in the Cold War, which sets the tone for what was to come.

All these things play into the mix to create the situation, and I don't believe you can extract one from the other, since the whole demonstrates how caught in the middle the Iranian people are.

edit on 9/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: adding 19 in front of 41 and a little clarity to my thoughts

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by GLontra

Yes, the British and Soviets invaded Iran in 1941 where responsible for dethroning the existing Shah and installing the Shahs son.

If those things hadn't happened then perhaps Mosaddegh would not have had the view he did when he came to power, and the Iran crisis was one of the first stages in the Cold War, which sets the tone for what was to come.

All these things play into the mix to create the situation, and I don't believe you can extract one from the other, since the whole demonstrates how caught in the middle the Iranian people are.

edit on 9/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: adding 19 in front of 41 and a little clarity to my thoughts

I think that "Operation Ajax" was totally unjustifiable.

Mossadegh was the democratically elected president of Iran, and if he decided to nationalize the oil industry, he had this right, as the head of government of a sovereign nation.

Nobody can't justify Operation Ajax and the coup, by any reason...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
thanks for this.....I was going to do a thread after watching a family guy episode....the one with Oliver north and the iran contra scandal musical....it reminded me of ATS threads I have been reading here lately....but you saved me the trouble....awesome and thank you.....

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Who mentioned anything about justifying what has happened, I simply expanded it to show the fuller picture!

I stated my position that the Iranians are caught in the middle, which is what the facts scream, regardless whether it is Russia, the US, Britain or China, none of those nations look out for Iranian interests, just their own and those of the Iranian elite. (isn't it always about that?)

You only have to roll back to thing like the Reuters Concession (denounced by Lord Curzon as "The most complete and extraordinary surrender of the entire industrial resources of a kingdom into foreign hands that has ever been dreamed of") to see the continuity of this issue, and that is what this, a continuation of the same issues.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
america's been drooling to control iran's oil for over 50 years.

If it was about the oil, we would have taken over the fields in Mexico and Venezuela by now. It would have been much easier and much cheaper. It can't be just an oil thing that is at the center of all this ...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by randomname
america's been drooling to control iran's oil for over 50 years.

If it was about the oil, we would have taken over the fields in Mexico and Venezuela by now. It would have been much easier and much cheaper. It can't be just an oil thing that is at the center of all this ...

I agree with you, it is more than just oil. The U.S. / Iran relationship has been severely dysfuntional and disjointed for many years. There have been numerous times over the years that the U.S. has made overtures to Iran and vice versa. But, the problem is that they have never occurred at the same time. I think that U.S. policy makers have always seen Iran as strategically important in the Middle East and that is what they want.

new topics

top topics

join