It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F1 Aryton Senna

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
One of my friends suggested the documentary "Senna" to me & they said it was excellent being from the states never really followed F1 too much. Haven't had a chance to see the documentary yet.

But as i look into the man & his accident - boy there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding his death & even saw people suggest he was murdered on track.

Whats up F1 fans would love to hear your take on this?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I have this documentary. I recommend it to anyone who can appreciate a great racing driver.

What machines they had back then. turbo monster death traps.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

It definitely is a great movie style documentary. It explains in simple terms to a non motor sports fans (me) why he was so well loved and such a great driver. I can also recommend it to anyone.

As to a conspiracy, I have no information on that. The cars were less safe back then when "things went wrong" though, just like regular cars back then. Safety and design have improved at least a little I think, or would hope.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I have heard this before. It's been said that he was shot whilst driving (theory basically goes that Senna's head slumps to the left and stops moving before he crashes- suggesting injury, also there is a blip in the video at the same time- which is said to be interference from a bullet.) I personally don't believe it. To hit someone in the head when they are travelling at 160mph+ would be incredibly hard, especially on a curved trajectory.
Senna was probably the best driver ever to have competed in F1, he drove at the cars limit all the time, cars in the 1990s were not as safe as they are today, not by a long, long way. Anyway the official line is that a piece of the suspension arm pierced through Senna's visor and killed him. This, to me makes sense, when a car is travelling as fast as an F1 car does and a piece flies off it is going to be moving with a lot of force.
Interestingly (morbid but interesting) there doesn't seem to be any footage of the crash as it happened, 100% live. There is just footage before and immediately after. I always thought the whole track was covered by cameras or a following F1 car would have caught the crash with its on board camera -or even a spectator would have taken video.(If anyone is aware of any footage please do say)
Regardless, Senna was hugely talented and it's a tragic shame that he died.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

It was a horrific incident and a tragic death of a true champion.

But as i look into the man & his accident - boy there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding his death & even saw people suggest he was murdered on track.

There are certainly many unanswered questions surrounding his controversial death.

The death of Aryton Senna

In reference to the failed steering column...

... Williams engineers saying that it broke as a result of the crash, although they did concede that it may have been partially cracked before impact...

It can be interpreted as a very telling statement... was it intentionally compromised??... or could it have been intentionally under-engineered to fail knowing how irregular the track surface had become, particularly on aproach to and through that corner??

With the massive amount of money that flows through F1 racing, sabotage is always a possibility.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
From what ive read didn't another driver die during qualifying on Friday & Senna said screw this we are going to start a drivers union on Saturday & on Sunday he was dead?

Also didn't F1 impound his car for 10 years???

& Ecclestone head of F1 was barred from his funeral?

Lots of stuff fuel for the fire - in my book, Gotta watch the movie.

Peace

edit on 8-1-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Since the F1 season is upon us again, I was just having a look around for any related threads and stumbled across this one. Hard to believe that it's almost 20 years since Senna died. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Despite all the conspiracy theories that are mentioned, I think that it was a case of faulty engineering that was the cause. In particular, the steering column of his Williams car. It was either that or a case of loss of downforce which might have occurred in that corner. It was said to be notoriously bumpy and on the earlier laps of the race his car was seen to be 'bottoming out' quite violently in that particular area of the track.
Either way, it was one of the blackest days in the history of the sport and in my humble opinion, the end of a golden era in which Senna was the undoubted master. I haven't been as keen a fan since but I will be remembering the man on the first of May.

Here's to a safe season

top topics

join