It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still "Open Season" on Canada's First Nations people?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
How long can we afford to continue to write these incidents off as coincidence because the truth is so medievel and un-palatable?.

How do you propose Canada heal such a wound that has been allowed to fester for as long as it has.?

This is not just another "race card" being thrown on the pile because real people are dying, lives are changed forever, hearts are breaking and have been broken on "all sides" of this issue.

I am aware that a topic of this nature is not an easy one to tackle.
That the potential for such a thread may be approached from a multitude of angles.
You don't have to be a "Community member" to know that the source material is not lacking.

Source

Source

Source

Source
-Lower mid-section of page to "Incidents involving Aboriginals."

Source
-Directly to the reports "Concluding Thoughts", Section 5.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They are not native, they are not aboriginal, they are not indigenous, they walked over from china. They were not here first. If they own the land as they say then they owe 100 years worth of back property taxes.

They should learn to behave themselves.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alilonthecheekyside

How long can we afford to continue to write these incidents off as coincidence because the truth is so medievel and un-palatable?. How do you propose Canada heal such a wound that has been allowed to fester for as long as it has.? This is not just another "race card" being thrown on the pile because real people are dying, lives are changed forever, hearts are breaking and have been broken on "all sides" of this issue. I am aware that a topic of this nature is not an easy one to tackle. That the potential for such a thread may be approached from a multitude of angles. You don't have to be a "Community member" to know that the source material is not lacking.

Are these incidents the worst? If so, I have to say, they aren't any worse than any other police/any other race incident. I would think that the residential schools, employment equity, reserve life, etc., would be alot worse incidents to bring up than these incidents. Until people take pride in who they are and try to do better than they grew up in, until employment equity/affirmative action, until every Indian gets trained to do a job, there will always be colour barriers. I think everyone should be treated equally. There is no reason to be racist. I can find enough reasons to hate someone on an individual level.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The culture gap isn't negotiated yet, and doesn't look to be anytime soon.

Natives have high crime rates, high suicide, high child abuse, high substance abuse, high domestic violence, high jail presence.

But are generally really nice people. You know, except the ones that threaten to scalp you on the bus.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Natives have high crime rates, high suicide, high child abuse, high substance abuse, high domestic violence, high jail presence.

But are generally really nice people. You know, except the ones that threaten to scalp you on the bus.

I wish I could agree with you on this, but sadly I cannot. I just got back from High Level, Alberta. I was on a 6 week shift slashing lines at a gas plant. This plant has two sections, one on "white land" and the other section on "reserve land." I made the sad mistake of crossing over the "border" into the reserve land and soon found myself running for my life. Up there, the Native HATE white people. There is a reserve about 50 miles north of High Level and a highway 43 runs through it. If you're white and your car breaksdown on that hiway, you will be shot. No questions asked. My boss told me that when I'm driving though there, if my truck starts to overheat or if the engine light comes on, to just put it to the floor and hope like hell I get off the reserver before the truck packs it in. I don't want to sound like a racist douche, but most Indian I've encountered are terrible people. I'vehad my car stolen twice... Indians. The place we stay in up there was broken into on Dec. 15... Indians. 3 people in the 6 weeks I was there got stabbed.... Indians.....

I don't know what the problem is, but I do know it's a lot worse that what most people see in the media. There are parts of Manitoba that are the same way. If you're white and you're on reserve land, you become a target for the Indians to sight their rifles in on... Almost every native person I've met that lives on a reserve absolutly hates white people, and all the white people I know hate the Indians. So it's a vicious circle, but any time one side try's to settle the problem, the other side takes offence or gets all up in arms because they think the side they represent is being poorly represented.

I hope not to offend anyone, I like to think I'm not racist. But spend 6 weeks in Northern Alberta or northern Manitoba and try to tell me that Natives are mostly nice....

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I live in central Saskatchewan, and I can tell you that the natives here are a wild people, and many of them hate whites.

I believe the root of the problem is how they raise their young. Many permit their children to run around like animals with no rules or structure in their lives. They grow up having no respect for others and many turn to a life of crime. About 8 out of 10 homicides in my city are committed by natives, who only represent about 15% of the total population.

I don't feel to sorry for them though because most of them have every opportunity in the world to make something of themselves. Most just choose not to. Why? Because they really have no need to work. Everything is just given to them by our government. Free money, free shelter, free food, free prescription drugs, free dental care, free eye care and free post secondary education.

My question is......How are the natives ever going to be a self-sufficient people if they never have to work for anything?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

There is a reserve my city that has the same rep. There is also one on Hwy 1 through BC, and is the main reason we never drive the 1 though to my families place on Vancouver Island. So while I would happily take the longer route for the scenery, my husband is adamant that we don't.

Still, most people I've ever known have been nice people. Particularly the kids.

Canada should have the best track and field team on the planet with Natives. Only the ones in it drop out when they get to their early teens due to social pressures.

I can't tell you how often I and my husband have run into people who say things like "I'm Native. THAT sack of crap is an Indian." The level of disgust is quite something else.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwuhi
They are not native, they are not aboriginal, they are not indigenous, they walked over from china. They were not here first.

-Nevertheless, they are called "First Nations People". Maybe they were just keeping the country warm until the "Europeans" arrived. And maybe none of us on this planet were here first, maybe we are just keeping it warm until the next guy gets here...then again maybe not.

They should learn to behave themselves.

-Maybe we "all" should learn to behave ourselves, ya think?

'Specially the Police!
Why continue to alienate a specific group of people simply because they just won't go away!
I know not all the cops aren't like that but alot of them are.

edit on 8-1-2012 by alilonthecheekyside because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

How long can we afford to continue to write these incidents off as coincidence because the truth is so medievel and un-palatable?. How do you propose Canada heal such a wound that has been allowed to fester for as long as it has.? This is not just another "race card" being thrown on the pile because real people are dying, lives are changed forever, hearts are breaking and have been broken on "all sides" of this issue. I am aware that a topic of this nature is not an easy one to tackle. That the potential for such a thread may be approached from a multitude of angles. You don't have to be a "Community member" to know that the source material is not lacking.

Are these incidents the worst? If so, I have to say, they aren't any worse than any other police/any other race incident. I would think that the residential schools, employment equity, reserve life, etc., would be alot worse incidents to bring up than these incidents. Until people take pride in who they are and try to do better than they grew up in, until employment equity/affirmative action, until every Indian gets trained to do a job, there will always be colour barriers. I think everyone should be treated equally. There is no reason to be racist. I can find enough reasons to hate someone on an individual level.

Why actually no, these incidents are not the worst. There are actually numerous "Other" accounts that have not made the news. Alot of people think that if it isn't newsworthy...then it didn't happen or might as well not have. Even the stories that have managed the make "Headlines" don't have all the information.

So because there are so many other horrible issues, does that mean this one isn't important? Goodness, how bad does a situation "have" to be??? Losing your life because you may have made a mistake isn't bad enough?
Wow, tough crowd.

To say the Native Americans aren't a proud peoples and rightfully so is not only "outdated" but grossly uninformed of you.
I am in agreement with you that everyone should be treated equally but unfortunately not all of the police across Canada feel the same way. And it is, a reality that alot of Indians "are" treated and have been treated like worse than second class citizens in the country of their ancestors. For a very, very, very long time.

The situation can't change "Fast enough"!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Hi Aeons, thank you for your interest on this matter, it's appreciated.

Statistics kind of have a way of taking the humanity out of it.

It sure would be tragic if other peoples were pigeonholed as much because of the stats.

What a glorious day it will be when "old ignorances and attitudes" have fallen completely by the way side!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

personally, i feel the natives have such a great opportunity to live, and show the rest of the world how to live and survive (and thrive) in a new way different from this messed up greedy materialistic one we're in now.
they have the land.. the know how is still there somewhere i'm sure.. i'm absolutely baffled that none of the reservations have tried to create a better way of living, new society, off the grid, self sufficient.
they have the means. they have the money, land, people..

heck, if they want to go back to the great way they had it before the white man.. do it.. you can.

i'd love for the chance to start a new community with new ideals and a new way of life, i long for this.. and they have every opportunity to do just that on their reserves that are already their own jurisdiction really.
instead they're all mostly just ghetto's.. it's on themselves to fix/change this IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

You said...

"I made the sad mistake of crossing over the "border" into the reserve land and soon found myself running for my life. Up there, the Native HATE white people. There is a reserve about 50 miles north of High Level and a highway 43 runs through it. If you're white and your car breaksdown on that hiway, you will be shot. No questions asked."

-Oh come on seriously? No questions asked? Wow kinda makes one wonder how many bodies might be buried up there out on that land hey???
-That's just too funny, now that being said, if say for example you were a tresspassing "poacher" there might be some who would say you had no business being there, you know, being up to "no good" and all.

"My boss told me that when I'm driving though there, if my truck starts to overheat or if the engine light comes on, to just put it to the floor and hope like hell I get off the reserver before the truck packs it in."

-Looks like your Boss was trying to scare the proverbial poop outta you. By the sound of it, not only did he succeed but he managed to help ingrain more of those old ignorances I was talking about earlier.

"I don't want to sound like a racist douche, but most Indian I've encountered are terrible people. I'vehad my car stolen twice... Indians. The place we stay in up there was broken into on Dec. 15... Indians. 3 people in the 6 weeks I was there got stabbed.... Indians....."

-Remember the kinda stuff they used to say about the "black man"? More old ignorances to be passed down from, one generation to another!. When in fact, there is much time being lost to build foundations of friendship upon. I know there are nasty trouble-makers in every culture known to Man. Yup, it's a problem.

-I can't help that but I can tell you with the utmost certainty that Native peoples ARE a beautiful, peaceful people that have absolutely no ill-will towards you or anyone else.
Alot of them just don't feel they deserve the treatment they get from certain authority figures. And maybe they are angry and frustrated because their lands are getting smaller and smaller. Not to mention the people who have already integrated into mainstream society and have found themselves wondering just where exactly do they fit in...whether they ever will fit in...if at all.

-You are so right about people taking offence and things getting all up in arms because they feel their side is being poorly represented. As long as the lines of communication stay open, there is hope. I feel the same way about religion too. People get all bent outta shape over that too!

-peace!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkmask

Hello and thanks for your reply!

-Hate is a Global Concern, a personal demon if you will. Something we all need to conquer, maybe, ya?

You said...
"I believe the root of the problem is how they raise their young. Many permit their children to run around like animals with no rules or structure in their lives. They grow up having no respect for others and many turn to a life of crime."

-Come on now, you reeeaaallly don't believe that do you?

-You don't really believe that "dis-respect" is an only Native characteristic.?

-Thankfully, your "Pity" is not required. What good would that do.?

-You really think they are just waiting around for a handout? That's beyond arrogance and hilarity. Just goes to show how quick and ready we are to spread more untruths and hand out undeserved criticism.

-How can "we", help to make things better, for all concerned, all Canadians.

-Just because we don't have a solution yet doesn't mean there isn't one.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Its a really complex issue. There are certainly areas where you walk into danger and need an invite because without one you could end up down one of the wells never to be found again. The rez is often like the wild west and they are very tied in with 2 unusual groups, here in BC, Hells Angels, and also the UN Gang, and I mean literally UN connection, won't go into this in any detail, thank you very much.

There are wonderful spokespeople for first nation rights, human rights, and mother earth's rights. And I am very much oriented towards natives, my ex husband is native, and my first 2 children are from the house of the eagles, my dear sister, closest friend is native.

Unfortunately there is the Black Op/M'Kultra involved as well.

Not to mention ET and the inner world type bases.

Nonetheless, there are many waysayers and many keepers of the knowledge, amongst the natives. They don't trust Big Brother never did, and see far more of what is in this world than most distracted by the fancy cars, and big screen tvs. Not that alot of them don't have this, and aren't distracted as well.

Not that they don't need some deep inner healing in their communities, and that there aren't high level stats on child protection issues etc.

But that there are so many better ways, like sitting down and learning from them, and finding ways to attribute leadership and direction of our resources that involves huge inputs from their wise and more awake population, that I personally want to see alot of changes.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Lets face it - The Native American peoples way of life has been trashed by the same forces that have trashed so many cultures - No wonder there are so many problems related to such people - It is sort of inevietable.
I do not feel the ansewr is to just do as your told and become a good slave - Wether we think it or not all of us are the slaves in the eyes and plans of a cruel and wicked elite. This will not always be so for though a few psycopaths attemt to control the minds of the mass of Humanity they too are ruled and governed by a greater force. This may sound fanciful but in time we shall all bear witness to a great change .It is up to each individual to make a choice once they know. Take Heart and fear not these Masters of deception for they are weak and feeble in their soul.
edit on 8-1-2012 by artistpoet because: because

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Endless progression- Let's hope so.

Intersting signature.

Thanks, appreciate your opinion.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

You said...
"This may sound fanciful but in time we shall all bear witness to a great change .It is up to each individual to make a choice once they know. Take Heart and fear not these Masters of deception for they are weak and feeble in their soul."

-Well said!
God bless!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You can say they are a product of white society , and here we see what their intentions are to white society regarding their own .www.upi.com...

Were there not also before the whites landed rogue gangs of Native American Indians ?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

Yes well...who was it that said, "Can't we all just get along?"

I guess it would seem that there are some that just don't want to.

Tribal warfare is not exclusive to the Native Americans, but I would imagine so.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alilonthecheekyside
reply to post by watchdog8110

Yes well...who was it that said, "Can't we all just get along?"

I guess it would seem that there are some that just don't want to.

In a perfect world sure , but when my former boss who is Native treats me like crap for not getting on his side with illegal activities does it make me racist towards him . No just smarter . Funny though how he bring the race card into it then . hmmm If someone doesn't want to sell them after shave or paint thinner to get drunk on the race card is played . Have to remember that a white person calling racism in North America is seen as not possible right ?

Reverse discrimination isn't considered .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join