It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plutonium From Fukushima Has Now Circled The Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

I already checked your thread a while ago, great thread
I found it a very interesting read.

Anything to get rid of this garbage nuclear energy. I even saw an article today about Japan announcing that they are moving away from nuclear energy completely. I will update this post once I find it.

I read the story wrong, the story was about limiting the life of a reactor to 40 years.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Omega how did you know I was a hockey fan?

Cheers

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I already checked your thread a while ago, great thread
I found it a very interesting read.

Anything to get rid of this garbage nuclear energy. I even saw an article today about Japan announcing that they are moving away from nuclear energy completely. I will update this post once I find it.

I am spreading the word. I figured You personally had seen it, but if I reach just one new reader with each post I make about it, I am vindicated. [smile]

Glad Japan is wising up.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It might be a little too late for stopping the use of nuclear energy with the vast amounts of radionuclides that Fukushima has released. Günther Oettinger the German EU energy commissioner said we faced a "nuclear apocalypse" and he may very well be correct.

With Japanese people now starting to post images of hair loss, nail loss and tooth loss, it is only a matter of time before this reaches a larger critical mass as radiation exposure is cumulative in ones lifetime. The fact that Japanese doctors are denying radiation sickness even when children with many of the symptoms are seeking treatment, the cover-up is as inhumane and twisted as it could get.

From penguins losing their feathers, news.blogs.cnn.com... to sick seals being tested for radiation www.msnbc.msn.com... not to mention the evidence coming from Japan that people are sick; this is not something we should downplay and pretend is going to get better even if we suddenly stop using nuclear energy.

The damage is done folks. We are in a crisis that is a global one with long term damaging effects. The death-toll could very well be as bad as some claim, in the billions. I hope they are wrong; but if children on the west coast of North America are showing signs of radiation sickness as Dr. Mark Sircus claims www.nuc.berkeley.edu... and it's only been 10 months, that's pretty damning.

What happens by the end of this year? Or in 3 more years. They won't be able to hide the fact that we are all sick and dying from radiation released by Fukushima.

Enjoy the last of the good times, I believe this is a ELE albeit a slow and out of control one. Lots of more doom in Reactor 4 to come.
edit on 7-1-2012 by YouAreDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

the Japanese crisis has taken not back stage but has left the building sport is king god save the sport anyone got a fiddle ??

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I wouldn't worry about it too much Chernobyl didn't effect anyone in Europe and Russia is a lot closer,plus a lot of country's in Europe and such are taking measures to prevent such disasters from ever happening here

Are you serious?

I suggest you do a little reading on Chernobyl. I will not quote sources as the most elementary googling will bring up research and estimates.

Even the birth statistics of Scotland changed during the weeks following the blowup of the Chernobyl plant, not to speak about the surge of thyroid cancers all around Eastern Europe (affecting at worst hundreds of thousands) - plus thousands were born in 1986 after the tragedy, mostly in the Ukraine, who will live all their lives handicapped for genetic damages.

Fukushima may have as yet less effect in Europe - more is yet to come though, since a lot of radiation will travel up the food chain. Also, it did not (yet) blow up, however, in terms of gradual release, they are already No. 1.

The thing is these are cumulative.
Fukushima radiation will be added to the remainders of the Chernobyl radiation, added to the nukes dumped in the Mediterranean by the Italian Mafia, the secret Soviet testing, and the whole thing adds to the results of testing hydrogen bombs etc.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Can you provide a link to that boron info?
It matches up with a fulford statement and id like to dig a little.....

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

Can you provide a link to that boron info?
It matches up with a fulford statement and id like to dig a little.....

I think Fulford was My source...I just remember reading that. OK, so Fulford is suspect, but I have a good feeling He has a clue... Can't find anything else on it, but then it's hard to search for... Too many results from AFTER the quake.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It's kind of scary, but I know I'm going to die of something eventually anyway. Since I happen to live on the west coast and was in the path of the particles when they crossed the pacific...

I hope they contain it. I know they're still having serious problems. The company that was tasked to ensure the safe use of these reactors went too far with the safety margins, imho. If I recall, the major reason things failed was because the generators were out of commission due to the tsunami. You would think that somebody would have said something about putting the plant so close to the shore and not having a better plan for the generators. But I suspect few if any appreciated what a 9.0 earthquake can do. There is some corporate exploitation going on.

We should take some money out of NASA and put it into researching thorium-fueled nuclear reactors. I really have no idea why this is not being done right now. It's important.

We really need to focus more on our energy sector from a security and rights perspective. I think that if we took into account ALL costs, including indirect ones, we'd be better off.

A lot of people don't realize how harmful coal is, though. I did some simple math that over 200,000 people died between 1995 and 2005 from coal power in the US alone. Remarkable, eh? I wonder how many people have died from coal power over the history of its use? *gulp*

Nuclear power is supported by the best science and people out there, you realize? Nuclear reactors use a physics that's well understood. Radiation is all around us, in fact. The energy released in the fission process is immense. Fusion has even greater potential. I suppose after much time has passed, future generations will see these years as growing pains.

I'm not excusing this nuke accident. Just putting it into proper perspective. I'm not sitting here worshipping at the altar of modern society or exploitation of people and/or things. I realize I might very well be breathing in a particle that will eventually kill me. I realize that I am just one single person among billions. There's no perfect answer for this modern society. There're advantages and drawbacks to everything. We will never have an answer that satisfies everyone and eliminates risk. This is and probably always will be a hard reality to live in. If there was a god, I would file a complaint immediately and demand a redress of grievances and cessation of present policy. I'd walk up to god and ask it WTH were you thinking? These are people, not stories. The feelings and sufferings are real. I must conclude that you're diabolical and psychopathic.

If the impossible were possible, I'd have us all on solar. Something that hurt no one. But even solar requires land and this land might have otherwise been used by animals. Any kind of energy is going to take up resources and land, right? But at least it wouldn't be killing people. But, considering the present reality, this is about as likely as Santa Claus being real. First off, it requires a lot of land. Second, it's expensive and people would be paying more for energy. Third, it requires a shift in how our country gets energy and uses it. Solar has hte potential to be decentralized, but out current system is not familiar with this concept (and smart grids). Lastly, and maybe more importantly, solar cannot get us to the moon and beyond. Fission and fusion can. Thus, research into nuclear power has many benefits that're far ranging in the future.

I wish we had something that didn't make us feel like killers, you know? Recall that we chose plutonium-producing fission rather than thorium-fueled because of the WMD potential.

Here's a quote:
“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
— George Bernard Shaw

Now, the way I interpret that is that reasonable people adapt to nature in a natural way. Unreasonable people pave concrete over nature and force it to adapt to us. So, if my line of reasoning is right, then progress depends on the people who pave over nature and sh** on its beauty - so to speak. But I'm sure that my interpretation can somehow be turned on its head.
edit on 8-1-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Jonnywhite: you are very likely underestimating the risk from coal emissions. Certainly so on a worldwide basis. China is building two coal plants a week, with much weaker emission controls.

The subtitle of this site is "deny ignorance", yes? With respect to the original post, let's do a little arithmetic to see if the fear makes sense.

Here’s a link to the abstract of the original article:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Pu from Fukushima was claimed to be detected in exactly one sample, at an activity of 44.5 nanoBq/cubic meter.

One Becquerel (Bq) is one atomic decay per second. A nano-Bq is one decay every billion seconds, which is about 32 years. So the Pu activity in Vilnius is one decay every (32/44.5) = 0.72 years, or about one decay every eight and a half months in a cubic meter of air. (They drew lots of cubic meters of air through a filter for about 3 weeks to capture enough particles to measure. I do radiation measurement for a living, although not from airborne sources.)

The average radon activity in outdoor air in the US is about 0.4 picoCuries/liter (pCi/L):

www.epa.gov...

A picoCurie is 37 Bq, and a cubic meter is 1000 liters, so the average outdoor radon activity is (37000 times 0.4) = 14800 Bq/cubic meter. Every breath you take (about 1/2 liter) gets you (0.5 * 0.4 * 37) = about 7 atomic decays. All day, every day. Scared yet? It’s worse if you’re taking that hike in the Rockies. There’s a lot of uranium in them thar hills.

So walking around in the great outdoors, you are breathing about 300 billion times as much radioactivity from natural radon in the air as the good citizens of Vilnius are suffering from Fukushima plutonium. I don’t think they need to worry much.

Most of us do not have a detailed understanding of radiation and nuclear power. Last spring, I gave a talk at my kids' elementary school for Earth Day, shortly after the Fukushima accident. I've expanded it a lot since. You can find a copy here, if you're interested. it's entitled "A Rational Environmentalist's Guide to Nuclear Power".

www.scribd.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DiogenesNJ

The thing about radiation is how incredibly, phenomenally, [insert long string of superlatives here] tiny amounts of it can be measured. We're talking handfuls of atoms.

I guarantee you that if we had small hand-held instruments capable of detecting particulate crud from coal plants with the same sensitivity that ordinary Geiger counters have for radioactivity, the same people currently waving placards in front of nuclear plants would be screaming their heads off to have the government shut down all the coal plants TOMORROW and replace them with nukes.

A European study called "ExternE" (External costs of energy) attempted to calculate the long-term risks of all forms of electricity generation over their entire life cycle. That means from building the generation plant, mining/transporting the fuel (if any), risks of normal operation, risk of accidents, and costs of decommissioning. The results were normalized in terms of deaths per terawatt-hour generated.

Nuclear was in the same ballpark as solar and wind, even including Chernobyl. Coal was 35x worse in the US and Europe with relatively good pollution controls, 400x worse for the entire world average (mainly due to China).

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DiogenesNJ

Whoops, my apologies folks. I'm wrong on the natural radon activity by a factor of 1000.

A picoCurie is 37 *milli*Bq, not 37 Bq.

So you're breathing only 300 *million* times more radiation than Lithuanians are breathing plutonium. It's more like one atomic decay per 100-150 breaths. Phew.

There, doesn't that make you feel all better?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hey! just wanted to share this link to Finnish Centre for Radiation and Nuclear Safety
it shows what type of change there was in radiation in Finland after the reactors blew.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I have heard many members mention that the radiation from Japan never made it to Europe, I personally disagreed but never said anything since I was unsure. My logic was that if it made it all the way from Japan to North American so quickly then it would also continue traveling towards Europe via the jet stream.

It appears a study done in Europe has confirmed this to be true. Plutonium which is the most deadly man made material on earth has also been detected.

A recently published study in the Journal of Environmental Radioactivity confirms that the radioactive fallout from the Fukushima nuclear disaster reached Europe (Lithuania), and included plutonium, the most deadly manmade element (nanogram for nanogram) in existence.

According to the study's authors the radionuclide concentrations measured indicate there was "long-range air mass transport from Japan across the Pacific, the North America and the Atlantic Ocean to Central Europe as indicated by modelling."

What this means is that every region under the jet stream -- which includes half of the planet north of its equator -- could have been exposed to some degree of plutonium fallout.

This fact is all the more disturbing when we consider there is no such thing as a safe level, and that the harm (on the human scale of time) does not dissipate: the half life of plutonium-239 is 24,200 years, and that of uranium-238 is 4,460,000,000 years, which is older than our planet.

www.activistpost.com...

Here is the study mentioned in the article.

Aerosolized plutonium from Fukushima has been detected in Europe.

In my opinion this was to be expected but it's still frightening news. It must be much worse at ground near the disaster. This report came out in late December but I just heard it for the first time today.

Nuclear energy is no friend of mine.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Europe is the dumping ground of the upstream.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
japan may not exist any more , Ats is your friend, blue flashes in canada?

Live life as everyday is your last, because what you know is what you have been told. Institutionssliced
Book a flight.
Record snow?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiogenesNJ
reply to post by jonnywhite

Jonnywhite: you are very likely underestimating the risk from coal emissions. Certainly so on a worldwide basis. China is building two coal plants a week, with much weaker emission controls.

The subtitle of this site is "deny ignorance", yes? With respect to the original post, let's do a little arithmetic to see if the fear makes sense.

Here’s a link to the abstract of the original article:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Pu from Fukushima was claimed to be detected in exactly one sample, at an activity of 44.5 nanoBq/cubic meter.

One Becquerel (Bq) is one atomic decay per second. A nano-Bq is one decay every billion seconds, which is about 32 years. So the Pu activity in Vilnius is one decay every (32/44.5) = 0.72 years, or about one decay every eight and a half months in a cubic meter of air. (They drew lots of cubic meters of air through a filter for about 3 weeks to capture enough particles to measure. I do radiation measurement for a living, although not from airborne sources.)

The average radon activity in outdoor air in the US is about 0.4 picoCuries/liter (pCi/L):

www.epa.gov...

A picoCurie is 37 Bq, and a cubic meter is 1000 liters, so the average outdoor radon activity is (37000 times 0.4) = 14800 Bq/cubic meter. Every breath you take (about 1/2 liter) gets you (0.5 * 0.4 * 37) = about 7 atomic decays. All day, every day. Scared yet? It’s worse if you’re taking that hike in the Rockies. There’s a lot of uranium in them thar hills.

So walking around in the great outdoors, you are breathing about 300 billion times as much radioactivity from natural radon in the air as the good citizens of Vilnius are suffering from Fukushima plutonium. I don’t think they need to worry much.

Most of us do not have a detailed understanding of radiation and nuclear power. Last spring, I gave a talk at my kids' elementary school for Earth Day, shortly after the Fukushima accident. I've expanded it a lot since. You can find a copy here, if you're interested. it's entitled "A Rational Environmentalist's Guide to Nuclear Power".

www.scribd.com...

How do you know?
Your believing #, either that or you are not of this earth.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join