It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plutonium From Fukushima Has Now Circled The Planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have heard many members mention that the radiation from Japan never made it to Europe, I personally disagreed but never said anything since I was unsure. My logic was that if it made it all the way from Japan to North American so quickly then it would also continue traveling towards Europe via the jet stream.

It appears a study done in Europe has confirmed this to be true. Plutonium which is the most deadly man made material on earth has also been detected.

A recently published study in the Journal of Environmental Radioactivity confirms that the radioactive fallout from the Fukushima nuclear disaster reached Europe (Lithuania), and included plutonium, the most deadly manmade element (nanogram for nanogram) in existence.

According to the study's authors the radionuclide concentrations measured indicate there was "long-range air mass transport from Japan across the Pacific, the North America and the Atlantic Ocean to Central Europe as indicated by modelling."

What this means is that every region under the jet stream -- which includes half of the planet north of its equator -- could have been exposed to some degree of plutonium fallout.

This fact is all the more disturbing when we consider there is no such thing as a safe level, and that the harm (on the human scale of time) does not dissipate: the half life of plutonium-239 is 24,200 years, and that of uranium-238 is 4,460,000,000 years, which is older than our planet.

www.activistpost.com...

Here is the study mentioned in the article.

Aerosolized plutonium from Fukushima has been detected in Europe.

In my opinion this was to be expected but it's still frightening news. It must be much worse at ground near the disaster. This report came out in late December but I just heard it for the first time today.

Nuclear energy is no friend of mine.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I wouldn't worry about it too much Chernobyl didn't effect anyone in Europe and Russia is a lot closer,plus a lot of country's in Europe and such are taking measures to prevent such disasters from ever happening here

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
edit
edit on 7-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

Sorry, at first I thought you told me not to worry about it. But, you actually said that you wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure if you're aware but cancer rates skyrocketed in Europe after Chernobyl, especially thyroid cancer and Leukemia.

The workers and inhabitants of the area got sick very quickly while the people who were further away got sick later on. Of course the link between Chernobyl and the spike in cancer rates cannot be "proven" but it's a logical assumption based on factual evidence.

I personally think it's worth worrying about since we're not even sure how much plutonium we have released yet. All it takes is one of those little particles to land on you and you're most likely going to die a slow painful death from cancer, it's pretty toxic stuff.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

There are two critical differences between Chernobyl and Fukushima. They make they difference between a regional crisis that happened in the Ukraine and a planetary crisis as we have now. First is the magnitude of the disaster. Chernobyl had a single Reactor and Fukushima has multiple in various stages of meltdown...they kinda think. That brings the second enormous difference. The Soviet Government got in and got their disaster under control in fairly short order, as a partial meltdown goes...

Fukushima is STILL on going and the reactor cores have still not even been SEEN let alone documented in any serious way for where they are and what their status is. They THINK they know..but no one seems entirely sure on at least 1 of them and likely 2. For all they know, they could have the worse one well below the facility. That's the whole thing..they honestly do NOT know, the last I saw reports.

Oh, there is one other difference..... Chernobyl was a straight, standard power reactor. We don't quite know what the hell the Japanese were doing in one of those with MOX fuel out the ying yang and other rather nasty fuel sitting above the reactors.....You know, that open air where nothing exists anymore? lol... Look at the Pacific. At least some of that Putonium/MOX fuel material blew right into the open water and outside the breakwater protections.

Fukushima is the ultimate nightmare "gift" that keeps on giving...and giving..and giving...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Ya know I'm still wondering just what the heck plutonium was doing in fuel rods . It's not a normal component in a reactor. Plutonium is a man made element and does not exist in nature. This has always struck me as odd ever since the disaster took place. I still haven't seen an adequate explaination of why this element was in the fuel rods.

The last I heard plutonium was the single most dangerous substance known to man. So why would it be in a reactor that was situated near a major earthquake zone. It's not like nobody knew that the faults there were very active. I'm thinking that there is more to this than meets the eye.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We don't quite know what the hell the Japanese were doing in one of those with MOX fuel out the ying yang and other rather nasty fuel sitting above the reactors.....

I have been asking myself what they are doing as well.

They were obviously running a faulty operation, if not worse.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47

I wouldn't worry about it too much Chernobyl didn't effect anyone in Europe and Russia is a lot closer,plus a lot of country's in Europe and such are taking measures to prevent such disasters from ever happening here

What???

Or do you mean it didn't affect anyone other than those who died of or are currently fighting cancer?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

It does seem they were doing more than strictly generating electricity and leaving it at that. Who'd think a natural disaster would come along and blow out every backup system they had on the lower 4 reactors....so I'm sure they felt safe playing whatever games they were playing and keeping it secret indefinitely. Ooops.. Nature had other ideas huh?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I wasn't aware of people getting cancer that could be related to Chernobyl.i thought it was just a crisis that affected only russia

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

sorry i wasn't aware Chernobyl affected people out side of Russia

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Excellent points. Another few comparisons I would make.

1) The Chernobyl incident happened April 26, 1986, April 27, 1986 evacuations began. Is that because Chernobyl was so much worse than Fukushima? If so how can the next comparison be explained?

2) Both had 6 reactors with 2 not operating. 3 reactors continued to operate at Chernobyl with the last one shut down December 15, 2000, over 14 years later. None of the Fukushima reactors will ever operate again.

3) Chernobyl was commissioned in 1977 making the oldest operating reactor less than 9 years old. Fukushima on the other hand was commissioned in 1971 making the oldest operating reactor about 40 years old. Since no one has been able to determine what to do with the spent (still highly radioactive) fuel it is stored on site at plants worldwide. 40 years of operation = a lot more fuel on site.

4) Fukushima was using Plutonium in their fuel, Chernobyl was not.
edit on 7-1-2012 by KaiserSoze because: Lame reason given.

edit on 7-1-2012 by KaiserSoze because: Even lamer reason given.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

reply to post by KaiserSoze

sorry i wasn't aware Chernobyl affected people out side of Russia

No problem, sorry if I came across wrong. I think in the future all events including Chernobyl will be compared to Fukushima. I told my brother that on March 12th and he said "no way, those are American designed reactors, they're safe". He's a smart guy but we have all grown up hearing that they are pretty safe with all of the layers of redundant safety procedures.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Interesting point about preventing such disasters.

How are they doing that ?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Very good question, I was thrown off by his other statement I forgot to ask how they would predict such disasters, perhaps there is money in this prevention. I hope they figure it out soon because the last thing we need is another meltdown and by the sounds of things we will be dealing with this current one for a long while.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Explanation: St*rred! [+ S&F for the thread]

perhaps there is money in this prevention

DING DING DING! GOAL!

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Truly, I am unsurprised. In fact, if this were not so, THEN I would be surprised.

Let's get rid of nuclear and clean Our planet. "How?" an ATS might ask... Visit My thread to find out: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Are We seeing higher cancer rates...? I think We are. Surely they are not related to Chernobyl...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Thankfully the people of Japan are good people and are really keeping the pressure on Tepco to tell the truth.

Or maybe there foolish pride has found new levels never seen in modern history.

I wonder which one it is? But the Japanese are just to kind and caring.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

It does seem they were doing more than strictly generating electricity and leaving it at that. Who'd think a natural disaster would come along and blow out every backup system they had on the lower 4 reactors....so I'm sure they felt safe playing whatever games they were playing and keeping it secret indefinitely. Ooops.. Nature had other ideas huh?

Nature... Or HAARP...

SomeOne had other ideas. (Hilary Clinton tried to sell the Japanese boron in the months before... What a coincidence. Surely it wasn't HAARP...)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join