It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is finally 2012, so which one is your favorite "End of the world" movie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Since 2012 is here, and there are allot of talk about everything ending in the last part of 2012, I thought it would be fitting to give each other some inspiration for movies about the end of the world.
So we all can prepare us and perhaps get some ideas on how to handle the last months, weeks, days or hours, before this supposedly ending of our lives as we know it arrives.

One of my favorite ones are from 1998, the name is Last Night.
A Canadian movie, directed and written by Don McKellar.
I like this one since it is quite unusual compared to most of the other movies on this theme.
Also in the movie is David Cronenberg, whom I think you horror fans out there recognizes.

A group of very different individuals with different ideas of how to face the end come together as the world is expected to end in six hours at the turn of the century.

It's 18:00 in a somewhat deserted Toronto on the last day before the scheduled end of the world at midnight, the end which has been known now for months. Most people are treating midnight as a matter-of-fact event with little sense of panic. In fact, many are celebrating this last day. Most have very specific wants for this last day and will do whatever they need to to make those wants happen. And some, such as Duncan and Donna with the gas company, are working, ensuring that the masses are served and comfortable during the final hours. The Wheeler family are marking the last day by having a Christmas party, although sullen adult son Patrick, his thoughts in part stemming from being recently widowed, has made it clear he wants to be alone in his own home at the end. Patrick's wants may be in jeopardy when a woman named Sandra - Duncan's wife - lands on his doorstep.

So, which one is your favorite?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
For me it's gotta be 2012. They had natural disasters in it. And it freaked me out a bit, thinking of big tsunamis and earthquakes and the fact that I can't fly a plane to China

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Deep Impact with Morgan Freeman as president would happily here him say the world was going to end

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Have not really seen that many, so i´d have to say 2012 also, mostly for the excellent special effects.

Close runner up is "Knowing" for the mysterious atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Actually I have not seen 2012. As far as I know, it got REALLY bad reviews, so I just did not care about it.
But is is worth to see?

Can it go wrong if Mr Freeman is in the movie? I think not

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
For me, there are three favorites. "The Road", "The Book of Eli" and "The Postman". They are all very well made. "The Road" is the most realistic, and most depressing. It's a damn good reality check though.

link   
2004 Dawn of the Dead

link   
For me, it's a toss-up between two cold war classics:

Panic in Year Zero (1962 with Ray Milland): www.youtube.com...

and

On The Beach (1959, Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins): www.youtube.com...

Panic in Year Zero is more of a survival film post nuclear explosion. On The Beach takes place in Australia, the last safe continent after an all-out atomic war, which becomes doomed in the end due to radioactive fallout. A surprisingly poignant and sad film from Stanley Kramer.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My fave would be The Road with Viggo Mortensen.

Very bleak but quite plausible I think.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I always liked The Postman.
It is like a dry "Waterworld" with a better story

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Night of the Comet!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Normally just to save vital brain activity I would pick one of the recent disaster movies... But I've decided to pick Without Warning (1994) mainly down to the reason it was one part of a great childhood. I remember watching this after missing the first 6mins and I honestly believed this was real!
Well I was a kid!

Best thing is... You dont have to troll through movie stores to hunt this little gem as you can watch it in its entirety on YouTube! Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcellante

Is this the one?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroUnlmtd

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead?
Though I do classify this kind of movie as pure Zombie, and not an End of the world movie.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Knowing

Can't think of any others.

2012 did get bad reviews but I usually don't take reviews at face value for anything because it's all opinion. A lot of well reviewed movies that earned millions at the box office and in dvd sales were horrible in my opinion and movies that got bad reviews (Thor for example) I thought were amazing.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Don't get hyped for it, just watch it on the off chance on day.

It should have been called "John Cusacks Lucky Day out".

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Night of the Comet!

This one was a classic!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by ZeroUnlmtd

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead?
Though I do classify this kind of movie as pure Zombie, and not an End of the world movie.

www.imdb.com...

Yea Shaun of the Dead was awesome , I like to place zombie movies in with the end of the world section because the real probability of survival in that situation is pretty slim to nil

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The day after tomorrow.

Good movie

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I enjoyed The core and Impact

new topics

top topics

join