It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How SOPA (as written) might kill ATS and free speech online (UPDATED)

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
so can some1 please tell me when is this SOPA is supposed to voted in or taking into action ??

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by o0pinMind0o

10 days and counting Vote was to be January 24th according to sources

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mcsandy

I think that one sentence was def a run on sentence..you know which one don't play

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Dude man, why do they want to take away every right.!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hi,

On January 24th the Senate will vote on their version of the internet censorship bill SOPA. This is our best chance to kill the internet censorship bill.

The problem? We need 41 Senators to agree not to rush a vote, and right now we've got 2. That's why we're asking you to take an unusual step: We need you to request an in-person meeting with your Senators.

Can you ask for an in-person meeting with your Senators? Click here to get started.

Most Senators are home right now for the January recess. And most--even those who've signed on as cosponsors--do not understand these bills and the terrible consequences they'll have for the internet, the economy, and free speech. If they're blindsided by the strength and clarity of our objections, we can bring them over to our side. The future of the internet depends on it.

If you do get a meeting you won't be alone-- post it to the forums and we'll organize others to join you. We can also provide materials and help with preparation. Leading up to the vote we'll also be swarming townhall meetings and public appearances, as they're announced. But right now, we need to set up these in-person meetings.

Please, click here to ask for a meeting. We've got your back.

We've taken the time to ask each Senator's office the best way to request a meeting. But we need you to take the plunge-- it'll only take a few minutes.

After you set up your meeting, be sure to share information on the forums. Did you get a date and time for a meeting? Did you learn any other information that will be useful for others trying to set up a meeting? If you can take on an organizing role, say so.

And please, stay active and keep spreading the word about the need to meet your Senator. There is an absolute firestorm of news and energy around stopping SOPA/PIPA on the internet, but it's not always visible to Senators and their staff.

Be visible. Schedule a meeting. This is our best chance to stop SOPA, and it could be our last.

Thanks for everything you do this month,
--Holmes, Tiffiniy, Donny

P.S. The Reddit community has been an anti-SOPA firestorm. These meetings are our best hope for beating SOPA, and we think Reddit needs to know about it. If you agree, help us spread the word on Reddit.

P.P.S. Please use these links to ask your friends to help fill up your local events too. Everyone needs to know the game plan: schedule meetings, and swarm townhalls.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This whole SOPA/PIPA thing scares me to no end.. I don't know what I'll do without a site like ATS (I've been a long time lurker), this site is the only "news" I can rely on. I wish people (at least the one's that I know) would stop having the "you're overthinking", "they know what they're doing", "well what can you do?", and "Don't you have better things to worry about?" mentality. I'm trying to get the point across as much as I can, but all that I see happening is being shot down, called crazy, or an idiot (due to me only being in community college, when talking to my "all wise" college friends that is). Sometimes I just want to smack people in the face for being so stupid.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Your Congressman will nod, smile, agree and make you feel sure that they will do what YOU would like them to. That's how they got voted in to office in the first place.
When he votes for SOPA don't be too surprised.
They wear 2 faces so well the rest of us get suckered again and again and...

Maybe we'll luck out this time but don't take odds from a bookie on it.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Why is Rupert Murdoch for SOPA/PIPA? Makes me wonder what's in it for him? Doesn't SOPA/PIPA give the power to the DoJ to stop any site they please? Does Murdoch have any ties to the DoJ? It's obvious he has some beef with Google but I can't seem to fathom sites like Google can be shut down. In addition, with this bill passing, aren't sites like Facebook in danger as well?

Regardless, I'm getting some anxiety as we approach the 24th.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
So... The House has put SOPA on ice until they say they have more consensus

U.S. President Barak Obama publicly condemned the proposed SOPA legislation for the first time over the weekend, and Congress responded by dropping the bill, at least for now

www.macobserver.com...
edit on 16-1-2012 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I just wanted to say that I wrote emails to my state's representatives last week expressing my disagreement about SOPA and PIPA. I had no idea these bills existed until your thread and I thank you very much for your time and effort. I received congenial non-committal replies stating they would take my concerns into consideration when casting their votes. I also re-posted some information you provided on Facebook urging others to do the same. I suppose that is the best I can do. Thank you again.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
in ur title it says could kill free speech unlikely people will find new ways just like people find new ways of living

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
wasnt there a part of sopa or pipa where we would be designated static IPs per person as an identification?
if so where was this part in which bill?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by beezzer
What would the internet look like if this were to pass?

We're going to be running a "semi-dark" site-wide protest soon. That will help you visually understand what much of the Internet would look like.

Is there anything planned for ATS tomorrow as part of the mass blackout?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The fact the whole internet America protests shows America is still free to speak. I believe the American people will keep their liberties and those responsible for the new laws will change their minds in accordance with the public opinion.

The other option is too bad to contemplate. But it will not happen, because WW3 will happen first. Before internet freedom is stopped, the nuclear explosions will put an end of the world as we know it. There are no isolated events anymore on the globe. And the world walks with large steps to that logical end. Even before the December 21, 2012. But this is still avoidable.

America is still the leader of the free world. May God give her to continue her mission, as done during the Cold War, "one nation under God".

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This was the first of a little test-balloon, let loose, just to see if people would roll-over to authoritarian rule.

Unsurprisingly, people didn't.

The miserable cretins that spawned this horrible, hellish bit of regulation, never understood The Web anyhow.

-They failed to understand that they angered a large part of very powerful internet-based corporations.

-They failed to understand that they are like cellotape : "seems to stick, but one can see right through it"

-They failed to grasp that they are NOT omnipotent, despite the enormous amounts of money flowing into their coffers from the calcified "entertainment industry" that has only been regurgitating past successes for the last 15 years.

-They COMPLETELY failed to understand that true creativity is now the main domain of The Web.Or, even worse, they DO understand, and are scared brainless for their come-uppance. Something my lovely little, very flat, guest-country calls "bijltjes-dag" i.e."Axe-day"

-And, to boot, as true sociopaths go, they completely do not understand what their lust for authoritarian power, brings forth into a society. They don't understand, and they don't care. They lack empathy of any kind.

They are ego-centric, dis-connected money & power hoarders. Ruthless, greedy and arrogant.

I guess we found "The anti-Christ" and they are many......

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by diakrite

Are you kidding me? The Patriot Act? NDAA 2012? Many others. They've done worse already. It's going to pass, they are going to censor the net, people should know it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Another website like "Disclose TV" go dark in protest of SOPA!

www.disclose.tv...

This issue is tragic.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
This is a tactic of war, take out comms

If they really wanted to could they pull the plug worldwide?

The way MSM is nowadays could you actually imagine life without the internet as we know it, it would be like living in the stone age for some people

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

This,along with the passing of the NDAA,among other things,is causing me and many other South Africans the gravest concern for our American friends..and not to mention those FEMA camps that have been springing up..This situation is on my mind all the time,wish there was something,anything i could do to help,but of course i can not.If Americans dont rise up nationaly AS ONE,and state categoricaly that they will not put up with these things,i foresee a dark,dark future for my beloved friends,and all Americans..Nazi Germany and the Gulags are images i can,t get outa my mind these days,when i think of whats going on in the USA with all these freedoms and civil liberties in jeopardy,as it would seem..If the abc agencies monitoring this site,consider this as incitement to revolution,they are keee-rect,and they can kiss my ass,just so by the way..im after all only stating what should be patently obvious to even the most witless idiot..and i am a South African citizen.Never thought there would be a day when that statement would make me feel more free+safe than we here always perceived Americans to be.. May God be with you all,it seems only a force of that calibre can prevent the atrocities that could well be on the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join